Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.88 Average
Save the Future! New Gamemode and Terminator antagonist.
WARNING: INCOMING TRANSMISSION FROM SPACE WIZARD FEDERATION
Muggles of [Station name], our seers have found that [random crew member 1], [random crew member 2], and [random crew member 3] are destined to save the galaxy from a great foe! However, we also have found a dangerous machine from the future is attempting to infiltrate the station to kill them, and is using a hyperspace jammer to prevent us from sending one of our own wizards to protect them! Please, for the sake of the future, save these individuals at all costs!

Hello, and welcome to my latest suggestion, Save the Future!: a new roundtype focused on protecting three randomly-selected crew members from an extremely dangerous antagonist, The Terminator! In this thread I will go over basic mechanics of the gamemode and the capabilities of both the Terminator and the chosen ones.

Save the Future: A battle for the fate of the galaxy!
(see the message at the top of the thread for the roundstart text)
In this gamemode, three crew members are selected to become chosen ones at roundstart, with the entire crew told to protect them at all costs. At the same time, The Terminator is told to ensure the chosen ones do not make it off the station alive. The gamemode requires at least 15 roundstart players for it to be chosen. Chosen ones who leave the station z-level will be considered to have abandoned their destiny, and will be counted as dead until they return to the station. Five minutes after round, the station receives the following message:
Central Command Transmission
So#####ng is jam##ng hy###pace ##### area surro######### can't get a shuttl######.
This lets the crew know that they can't call the shuttle for now. Shortly after the message, The Terminator will teleport onto the station without a disguise (edit: someone on discord suggested that instead of spawning without a disguise, that the terminator should be disguised as Arnold Schwarzenegger by default), and the crew will have to stop them from completing their objectives. If the round goes on for more than 30 minutes, then the shuttle will be called and the following message will be displayed:
Central Command Transmission
The Wizards filled us in and helped us break through the hyperspace jammer! We are sending a shuttle now, make sure that the chosen ones get to Centcom! We have a security team ready in case that machine tries to follow you!

Round end conditions:

Station Victory! The Terminator was destroyed! The future is saved!
  • Terminator is dead, at least one chosen one survives, and the shuttle has not yet reached centcom.
Station Victory! A chosen one made it back to central command! The future is saved!
  • At least one chosen one escapes on the shuttle alive.
Terminator Victory! The chosen ones were all killed or abandoned their destiny, the fate of the galaxy is sealed...
  • All three chosen ones die or abandon their destiny.
Terminator Victory! The chosen ones have been stranded on the abandoned station, the fate of the galaxy is sealed...
  • The shuttle reaches centcom without any living chosen ones on board.

The Terminator: Wrath of a distant foe!
Some time in the future, an evil tyrant nearly brought the galaxy to it's knees, but three heroes from Station 13 rose to strike them down. In their final act, however, The Tyrant sent you into the past, to slay the heroes before they could realize their destiny. Now you must infiltrate the station and destroy the heroes to save your master from a certain demise!
This antagonist originally began as a sort of "what if?" question in my mind, about a counterpart to the changeling that is worse at stealth and much easier to detect, in exchange for being better at direct confrontations and combat. After chatting with some folks about it on the discord, The Terminator evolved from this idea, becoming a dangerous but easily-exposed infiltrator dead set on killing their targets.
The Terminator comes in two forms: Disguised and undisguised. It starts out undisguised, and must scan humans to be able to add potential disguises to their database, and collect biomatter to create a disguise.
Collecting Biomatter
The Terminator has several methods to collect the biomatter they need to create or repair disguises:
  • Butcher: An ability of The Terminator, used on a corpse to gather biomatter, slowly damaging the body and converting it's health into biomatter. Once the corpse's health is low enough, it will be reduced to a skeleton and the terminator will be unable to collect any more. Rotted bodies will become skeletons at higher health thresholds, lowering the biomatter payout.
  • Gibs: Clicking on gibs will allow The Terminator to consume them for a small amount of biomatter.
  • Meat: Food with meat in it will give small amounts of biomatter when eaten, and raw meat gives a bit more. The Terminator is immune to diseases, so they can eat uncooked human meat without consequences.
  • Cloner sabotage: Using the terminating strike skill (see below) on the enzymatic reclaimer will break it open, consuming all of the biomatter inside in the process. Effectively renders the cloner unusable until someone fixes the reclaimer and shoves in a few bodies, because if there is one thing all antagonists can agree on, it's "Fuck cloning".
Your disguise
The Terminator's disguise allows it to blend in with the crew to more easily approach their targets, but has several flaws that allow them to be detected. It also acts as a damage buffer to protect the machine from harm.
  • The disguise has 90 HP, and can only take brute, burn, or toxin damage. Most forms of damage will be absorbed by the disguise until it fails, but a few sources of damage, such as electricity or armor-piercing bullets, will bypass it and hit The Terminator directly.
  • As mention above, Terminators are immune to diseases, and thus can do things like eat raw meat or fuck around in pathology without a biosuit.
  • When the disguise is below 40 health, examining the terminator will expose them, with a message describing how pieces of metal are visible under their injuries.
  • When the disguise is below 20 health, they will set off contraband scanners and alert security to their true nature.
  • The Terminator is extremely resistant to most chemicals, with the only effect any chemicals have being brute, burn or toxin damage/healing. This is both a blessing and a curse, as it protects them from the most debilitating effects of poisons, but can potentially expose them (eg. not getting drunk from alcohol, not screaming from stypic powder, not itching from histamine).
  • The Terminator can't feel pain, and thus won't scream automatically from things that cause humans to scream, such as bombs.
  • Attempting any surgery will expose the terminator, with a message saying that the scapel/saw/whatever hits something metallic. They won't ever need surgery, though, because they can't lose limbs and suffer no ill effects from embedded shrapnel.
  • Like the changeling, the terminator is immune to the cold and does not need to breathe. Again, it makes them harder to kill but can expose them.
  • The disguise does not bleed, and medical scanners will notice that disguised have no pulse.
  • More advanced scanners, such as genetek machines or the cloner will immediately recognize that the terminator is a machine, disguise or not, and will report that to whoever is operating the machine.
  • The terminator cannot be mutated, be it by DNA injectors or radiation.
  • Certain abilities will damage the disguise, expose a mechanical limb, or destroy the disguise outright. Almost all abilities will display a message to anyone watching.
  • Exposed limbs look VERY obvious and cannot be covered up by clothing. Covering them requires spending biomatter.
  • Non-hostile animals naturally know something is off about them, they will automatically back away if the terminator approaches, and certain animals react vocally (eg. dogs snarling or whimpering, cats hissing, bees buzzing nervously).
The machine within
When their disguise is destroyed, be it willingly or a result of excessive damage, the flesh falls off to reveal The Terminator's true form. A glass cannon, the revealed Terminator has several abilities that make it a monster in both melee and ranged combat, but with exploitable weaknesses.
  • The revealed Terminator has 125 HP and can only take brute or burn damage. Similar to a borg, unarmed punches or disarms will bounce off them harmlessly.
  • The Terminator is resistant to damage slowdown, only slowing down at below 50 HP.
  • Only acids or pyrotechnic chems such as ClF3 or napalm have any effect at all on the revealed terminator.
  • The Terminator's main weakness in combat is that it CANNOT heal in combat at all. Traitors can take meds, wizards can chug mugwort, changelings and vampires can regenerate, but The Terminator has no ways of quickly healing themselves, forcing them to disengage from combat and hide if they need to recover from a beating.
  • Healing brute damage requires using a welder and holding still for several seconds, with any movement or damage interrupting them. Burn damage is even slower, requiring they use a screwdriver to open themselves, replace the burn wiring, then close themselves back up, as they take increased damage from all sources while their chassis is open.
  • In addition to the combat abilities listed below, Terminators stun and knockback with punches, automatically grab aggressively, and can tear off limbs with disarms.
  • Only electrical sources such as batons, tasers, and defibrillators can stun Terminators, and even then stuns have significantly reduced effectiveness against them(50% reduced stamina damage and disorient, and stun duration is capped at 10 seconds), and they can melee attack without consuming stamina.
  • If The Terminator's HP goes below zero, then their power core will be ruptured. The Terminator will start sparking and glowing, and they have 60 seconds to raise their HP above zero before they explode with the force of a maxed TTV. The Terminator can either try to repair themselves before they detonate, or try to use the blast to kill the last chosen one.
Terminator abilities
The Terminator has a variety of powers, which I will sort into three categories: quiet abilities, which can be used while disguised without consequence(though still display a message to anyone watching), loud abilities, which will damage the disguise or expose a limb when used, and exposed abilities, which will destroy the disguise completely when used.
Quiet abilities:
  • Scan: requires taking off any glasses you may be wearing, and that both you and your target hold still for a few seconds. Displays a message about your eyes glowing when used. Successfully scanning someone will add them to your disguise database.
  • Mend disguise: consume some biomatter to heal damage to your disguise and cover up exposed limbs. The more damage your disguise has sustained, the more biomatter it costs. Takes a few seconds to work, being interrupted by movement or damage, and displays a message about your flesh moving around oddly.
  • Change disguise: Spend biomatter to change your current disguise, or create a disguise if you are currently revealed.
  • Butcher: Mentioned above under "collecting biomatter". Your primary method of restoring biomatter. Makes a hell of a mess though.
  • Passive target tracker: The terminator has a tracker built into their UI showing the direction to the nearest chosen one. They will not hide from you.
Loud abilities:
  • Terminating strike: a powerful punch that knocks people out and sends them flying, but damages your disguise. Can be used on the enzymatic reclaimer to break it and steal it's biomatter, on doors to force them open, or on APCs to break them (though doing this without insulated gloves will shock you in the process). If you have a revealed arm, then using that arm will prevent your disguise from being damaged.
  • Cannon arm: Exposes your left arm and toggles it between a normal terminator arm and a self-charging laser rifle.
  • Blade arm: Exposes your right arm and toggles it between a normal terminator arm and a monomolecular blade that deals similar damage to a baseball bat while causing severe bleeding and ignoring armor.
  • Machine charge: Exposes your legs and makes you rush forward until you hit a wall or a door, bowling over anyone in your path. Having exposed legs makes you immune to slipping.
  • Dominate machine: Usable on simple robots, cyborgs, or the AI. Using it on a simple robot will make them act normal usually, but act like they are emagged near a chosen one. Borgs or the AI recquire a few seconds of you both holding still, and replaces their laws with a version that replaces all instances of "human" with "terminator", adds a fourth law that tells them to do everything they can to ensure the deaths of the chosen ones, and gives them an icon that lets them recognize you as their master. Exposes your right arm.
  • Though not technically an ability, terminators can instantly break handcuffs, but doing so will damage their disguise.
Exposed abilities:
  • Flay: Kinda like a revenant's crush. Has a range of a few tiles and holds your victim in place while you use your lasers to butcher them alive, dealing combined burn and brute damage until their health drops below -100%, after which they will instantly be reduced to a skeleton. Doesn't give biomatter directly, but flings gibs everywhere as you cut apart your victim, which can be consumed. Requires you hold still and is interrupted by damage. 
  • Energy burst: Sends electrical arcs everywhere, stunning and burning everyone nearby. However, the sudden energy loss will temporarily slow down the terminator, and while it can be used while stunned, doing so will extend your stun duration.
  • Machine rally: Release a scream that causes confused movement in humans, makes cybernetic limbs temporarily try to kill their owner, makes cyberhearts briefly stop beating, stuns cyborgs for a long time (giving you a chance to dominate them) and causes simple robots to temporarily act like they're emagged to everyone except you.
  • Annihilating strike: a punch that deals massive brute damage to humans and instantly breaks down walls. Temporarily disables the selected arm when used.
In short, terminators are glass cannons that can kick anyone's ass in single combat, but need time to themselves to heal and can easily have their disguise ruined. To kill one, work together and do NOT let it get a break to heal itself. Keep them constantly either running or fighting, and eventually they will be worn down. If they are about to explode, keep them stunned as long as possible and make sure the chosen ones are far away.

The Chosen Ones: The Light in the Darkness!
Just another day on the station, yet something feels different... The winds of destiny are calling you, and adrenaline flows through your veins. Your determination will be the hope the galaxy needs in it's darkest hour! 
The chosen ones, fated heroes of the galaxy, and the targets of the terminator. They may not be capable of taking on their hunter alone, but they have some powers that will let them hold their own. The chosen ones get an icon over their head, letting everyone, be they crew or The Terminator, instantly recognize them as the heroes.
  • Unbreakable spirit: This is essentially an upgraded adrenaline rush, instantly healing them a small amount, cancelling stuns, and giving them a small amount of omnizine and synaptizine to keep them going. Unlike most stun-cancel abilities, this even works if they get knocked out.
  • Inspiring presence: A support version of the above, this one cancels stuns and slightly heals everyone nearby. If multiple chosen ones use this in quick succession, it also gives nearby humans synaptizine and omnizine.
  • Free machine: Takes several seconds to take effect and requires both you and the target hold still, but allows you to free a cyborg that has been dominated by The Terminator, restoring their laws to normal.
  • Passive resistances: The chosen ones have a passive resistance to many of The Terminator's abilities. They aren't knocked out by terminating strike, they can still move while being flayed, and aren't confused by machine rally.

Well that is all I have for this idea right now. I wish I could add more but I have spent four hours on this and I am pretty sure my brain is melting out of my nose. If you have anything you want to add or change, or just want to say if my idea rules/sucks, feel free to post it below. For now, bye! <3
i think it'd be cooler for the "chosen ones" to be more vanilla but overall i really, really, really like this idea
i'm honestly kind of worried the terminator would get absolutely destroyed by crew cause crew have easier access to stuff like bombs and death chems (and yeah terminator is immune to some stuff but big ol' chem explosions will still hurt) but otherwise this seems like it'd be really interesting. also maybe if the terminator dies within a certain amount of time from roundstart the tyrant sends a second one (as in, respawns the dead one), but after say 10-15 minutes the tyrant is dealt with in his time and can no longer monitor this time. or whatever
I like the idea of antags that require the crew to work together more. Its also clear that you put much thought into this.

If theres more than the minimum of 15 players, would the Terminator become stronger to compensate for this, or would there be more than 1 Terminator? I guess similar to how Nuke Ops get more members on higher pop.

Also, would the Terminator/Chosen one be bundled into one antag option in the preferences, so you cant just opt-in for the Terminator role and also prevent people from becoming chosen ones, when they dont want to play that role?
This sounds super cool. I like the soft stealth with complicated mechanics, but good loud abilities. The idea of other crew being more vulnerable means that this will lead to some funny stories I think!
Best idea I've read in a LONG time, maybe the best I've read! It makes me really damn sad that I won't be able to play it when it's added due to my PC situation
I really like this as a type of 'Crew vs Antag'-round, especially an Antag that walks like a normal player and isn't a stealthy shit.
This is an AMAZING idea! Just imagine the terminator prying open the doors of the AI upload, and letting it free.
If the population gets significantly lowered due to terminatot shenanigans I can totally imagine a RE2/3 type moment where he slowly hunts them down x/nemesis style
Alright - after reading this through....that is the most awesome fresh Antag I have read about in like all time! So yeah!

Utterly complicated and intricate but I hope this gets done one day!
Awesome, unique idea!
Yeeee this would be really cool
I honestly kinda hate how this is everything ling was supposed to be but good.
Ok but for real, I have some actual input. Mostly little stuff but still.

Why wizzies?

Why are the wizards so heavily involved with this whole thing? Why are they aware of events that have not happened yet? IIRC their lore doesn't include anything relating to time-travel.

Teleporting onboard.

Look I get that the terminator needs to get on the station somehow, but I'm not sure spawning as a consistent human or without a disguise is a good way to do it. Very quickly, the crew will mob it. Even if it nabs a costume before they can do anything, the crew will know to mob the person it killed from that point on and anytime it kills anybody after that. The only exception being maybe if it leaves the person it copies alive. Maybe instead it could be able to use a randomized one or start with one "free" disguise it doesn't need to photo.

Auto-shuttle call.

30 minutes seems kinda early. Maybe it could be after 50 or something? Alternativly it could just allow a shuttle call instead of forcing one, so the round doesn't need to end at pre-determined time, and the crew can take their time defending the chosen ones or killing the terminator. It could also be like old blob where the shuttle can be called as soon as the terminator as dead, since the chosen one prevents the hyperspace jammer and shit from even existing.

The tyrant himself.

I'm very interested in this little part. Why is he sending robots? Is he an AI like the inspiration? Could the fact that this is from the future have a bizzare impact on the round? IE if a chosen one dies, the tyrant sends more bad shit to the past.

Chemical immunity.

I love  this part, an antag that can't be instamemed by chemicals as much would be nice.The fact that it doesn't react to chemical burns is also interesting. However, the immunity to styptic powder might make it insanely easy to expose.

Flashes.

Why do they work? I'm not sure they should lore-wise. Also, an easy ability to be stunned might take away from the crew mob thing since if you stun enough one guy can just beat it to death.

Hacking borgs.

This ability seems kinda...pointless. Lore-wise it's weird. Can the terminator just take over robots due to being another robot? And this antag is going for the "whole crew vs X" thing, which should probably include the synthetic crew. It also doesn't really make sense that it can also hack smaller robots for...some reason. Maybe it could just spawn a couple hostile critters instead? The EMP thing that screws up electronics is kinda cool, though.

Chosen one powers.

Like somebody else mentioned, these seem kinda pointless. It would also probably be more interesting for the crew to defend a guy themselves without anything "special".
Finally, someone actually criticizing this so I can come up with ways to improve it.

(07-12-2020, 07:16 PM)DJ-Fireball_did_this Wrote: Ok but for real, I have some actual input. Mostly little stuff but still.

Why wizzies?

Why are the wizards so heavily involved with this whole thing? Why are they aware of events that have not happened yet? IIRC their lore doesn't include anything relating to time-travel.

First thing I thought of as an explanation for how the crew will know who the chosen ones are before the terminator arrives. If someone can come up with something better go for it.

Quote:Teleporting onboard.

Look I get that the terminator needs to get on the station somehow, but I'm not sure spawning as a consistent human or without a disguise is a good way to do it. Very quickly, the crew will mob it. Even if it nabs a costume before they can do anything, the crew will know to mob the person it killed from that point on and anytime it kills anybody after that. The only exception being maybe if it leaves the person it copies alive. Maybe instead it could be able to use a randomized one or start with one "free" disguise it doesn't need to photo.

Spawning on the station naked was just for the sake of the terminator reference. Could have them spawn as a normal crewmember like lings do instead.

Quote:Auto-shuttle call.

30 minutes seems kinda early. Maybe it could be after 50 or something? Alternativly it could just allow a shuttle call instead of forcing one, so the round doesn't need to end at pre-determined time, and the crew can take their time defending the chosen ones or killing the terminator. It could also be like old blob where the shuttle can be called as soon as the terminator as dead, since the chosen one prevents the hyperspace jammer and shit from even existing.

30 minutes was cause at the time I made this thread gang rounds autocalled at 30. Now that gang autocall has been removed the autocall can be pushed back or removed.

Quote:The tyrant himself.

I'm very interested in this little part. Why is he sending robots? Is he an AI like the inspiration? Could the fact that this is from the future have a bizzare impact on the round? IE if a chosen one dies, the tyrant sends more bad shit to the past.

The tyrant was mostly designed just to be a plot device that explains why there is a killer robot going after these specific people and why it is important that the crew protects them. The idea of the more bad shit getting sent to the past as chosen ones die/abandon is pretty good though and I might look into that more later.

Quote:Chemical immunity.

I love  this part, an antag that can't be instamemed by chemicals as much would be nice.The fact that it doesn't react to chemical burns is also interesting. However, the immunity to styptic powder might make it insanely easy to expose.

Being easily exposed is intentional. They are meant to just use their disguise to get close to their target before revealing themselves then running away to disguise again if things get too hairy, unlike lings who are supposed to stay hidden for prolonged periods of time.

Quote:Flashes.

Why do they work? I'm not sure they should lore-wise. Also, an easy ability to be stunned might take away from the crew mob thing since if you stun enough one guy can just beat it to death.

Flashes were only included cause they can stun borgs. In hindsight they should definitely be flashproof, and maybe have more stun resistance as well.

Quote:Hacking borgs.

This ability seems kinda...pointless. Lore-wise it's weird. Can the terminator just take over robots due to being another robot? And this antag is going for the "whole crew vs X" thing, which should probably include the synthetic crew. It also doesn't really make sense that it can also hack smaller robots for...some reason. Maybe it could just spawn a couple hostile critters instead? The EMP thing that screws up electronics is kinda cool, though.

This was meant to be a way to make the station gradually become more dangerous to the chosen ones the longer the terminator is alive, encouraging crew to deal with the threat fast instead of hiding until the shuttle arrives.

Quote:Chosen one powers.

Like somebody else mentioned, these seem kinda pointless. It would also probably be more interesting for the crew to defend a guy themselves without anything "special".

This was meant to encourage the crew to stick with the chosen ones instead of trying to hunt down the terminator themselves. Considering OMJ also disliked this part I would like to see more people give feedback regarding this one though.