Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Phone Improvements
Gimmick Traitor Item/ Emag opertunity: Syndicate phone, when you call someone, and they pick up the phone they get an electric shock/stun.

For Mech nerds: If you say a number through the phone, the other end phone outputs that number as a mech signal. So you can have shit like "Press 1 to go to voice mail, Press 2 to pay 500 credits to the clown" and so on.

Also, instead of being able to shoot someone through the phone, we could be able to SLAP someone through the phone!

Clown: Is your fridge running?
Chef: You Listen here you lil shit!
Clown: WELL YOU BETTER GO CATCH IT THEN!
Chef reaches through the phone and slaps Clown in the face!
If there isn't, multiple phones in a department. Calling the department causes them all to ring and answering one will put you through, but other people can pick up a secondary phone to eavesdrop
An idea proposed in a round earlier today: Have the phone at the radio station broadcast over the radio so hosts can have people call in.
A gun for traitor (mechanics?) that lets you shoot people through the phone. smile
A Mechanic thing that modifies a phone to act as a perfect point to point auditory portal. It transmits all sound from one phone to the other, as though you were standing there. basically so you can throw a flashbang in one room and deafen someone on the other side of the station.
Let people pour spiders into a phone to send phone spiders.
what if the radio sation phone played on the broadcast
A lot of things for putting in phones.

What if you could make a secret phone assigned a 3 digit number, and every phone had an optional dial pad that was the only way to reach said phone.

For super secret stuff.
New traitor item method? Perhaps as a trait that gives you a bonus point
If you die to the russian revolver while on the phone, your blood should soak the person on the other side.
farting with the phone handset in the active hand should fart directly into the mouthpiece
A phone in the Information Office seems fitting. When playing lawyer, I tend to use the Information Office since they lack a dedicated work space. Being able to phone your clients in the brig would be pretty cool.
(01-01-2019, 06:35 PM)SimianC Wrote: A phone in the Information Office seems fitting. When playing lawyer, I tend to use the Information Office since they lack a dedicated work space. Being able to phone your clients in the brig would be pretty cool.

Two phones so you can talk to two different departments at the same time
(01-01-2019, 08:00 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 06:35 PM)SimianC Wrote: A phone in the Information Office seems fitting. When playing lawyer, I tend to use the Information Office since they lack a dedicated work space. Being able to phone your clients in the brig would be pretty cool.

Two phones so you can talk to two different departments at the same time

Yes mechanics would like a word with you?  They said they'd be happy if their job wasn't made obsolete.

They also got angry when I told them I needed a couple new drains.

Just can't keep them happy I suppose.

But yes it does seem really silly that the information post doesn't have a phone, even if it doesn't have a dedicated worker.
This is sort of half question-half suggestion. I feel like the phone functionality and sounds would have made more sense to be an intercom improvement/rewrite, as opposed to creating a new object.

Don't get me wrong, phones are pretty fun and I'm 100% for adding new objects to the game, but I think that it's important to avoid bloat in terms of items on the station. The telephone objects take up space on a table tile in areas where table space is already scarce, like the bar and kitchen.

Intercoms are relatively unused and slightly unnecessary, but they do have several important functions for spreading information around a department, or for the AI. But intercoms are already placed everywhere on every station, in overlapping locations with many phones.

In terms of general functionality, phones and intercoms are nearly identical. i.e. calling a specific locations (but phones are more direct and has a sort of guaranteed message receive receipt since you know when someone picks up your call). The main things that set phones apart from intercoms is the required wired connection, their fancy sprites, and nice sound effects. So why not build the phone features into the intercoms instead?