Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Major Critters cannot use csabers
As a bird, you can pick up, and activate, a csaber. I was planning on using this as a traitor gimmick, crime bird.

Yet hitting people with it, regardless of its activation state, does nothing.

Needless to say, my planned antag gimmick was ruined.

The sprite of the csaber did go as it should when I tried hitting people, but no sound effect or chat message was made.
I have noticed this too. I think I know what causes it. You can pick up a deactivated saber because it is a small item. But if you drop an activated one and try to pick it up you cant (I assume because it is no longer a small item). This is likely caused by not being able to use a large item as a critter. 

CSabers should probably be a consistent size, either small or large.
(10-12-2018, 08:50 AM)Firebarrage Wrote: I have noticed this too. I think I know what causes it. You can pick up a deactivated saber because it is a small item. But if you drop an activated one and try to pick it up you cant (I assume because it is no longer a small item). This is likely caused by not being able to use a large item as a critter. 

Birds CAN carry larger objects, though. I was able to pick up my csaber while it was activated and this bug still happened.
(10-12-2018, 08:50 AM)Firebarrage Wrote: I have noticed this too. I think I know what causes it. You can pick up a deactivated saber because it is a small item. But if you drop an activated one and try to pick it up you cant (I assume because it is no longer a small item). This is likely caused by not being able to use a large item as a critter. 

I'm pretty sure the whole idea between the two sizes is one of the main features of the csaber. Keeping the hilt in some obscure part of your storage to keep from getting found out, that sort of thing. But you gotta wind up and wind down when taking it out or putting it away so you can't just leap into action with a single reach into a box in your backpack.

Keep in mind i don't actually use csabers so i'm speaking entirely out of my ass
(10-12-2018, 02:29 PM)cyberTripping Wrote:

I'm pretty sure the whole idea between the two sizes is one of the main features of the csaber. Keeping the hilt in some obscure part of your storage to keep from getting found out, that sort of thing. But you gotta wind up and wind down when taking it out or putting it away so you can't just leap into action with a single reach into a box in your backpack.

Keep in mind i don't actually use csabers so i'm speaking entirely out of my ass

That is the intention, yes.
(10-13-2018, 09:05 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 02:29 PM)cyberTripping Wrote:

That is the intention, yes.

Okay but what about the bug I'm reporting?
Ok I see why the csaber should be two sizes then. I guess a reasonable change is to remove restrictions on the use of large objects but keep them for picking items up. That should resolve this. Keep in mind I'm also talking out of my ass here and am only guessing what causes this and how the code works.

From what I can tell, and this from months ago, item size only prevents critters from picking things up, not using them. I found this as a ghost critter when I got stuck in a window, in desperation to nibble the heck out of the guy who killed me, I clicked on a light tube fixture and somehow picked it up, despite them being way to big for little old me. Managed to smash it, break free, and shank someone with the tube.
The odd part, to me, is the fact that hitting people with the sword did nothing, regardless of whether it was on or off.

I have no idea what could be causing that.
(10-13-2018, 07:20 PM)Superlagg Wrote:

From what I can tell, and this from months ago, item size only prevents critters from picking things up, not using them. I found this as a ghost critter when I got stuck in a window, in desperation to nibble the heck out of the guy who killed me, I clicked on a light tube fixture and somehow picked it up, despite them being way to big for little old me. Managed to smash it, break free, and shank someone with the tube.

But this applies to birds. Birds, being polymorph-class critters, can pick up more or less every item that a human can.
(10-14-2018, 11:07 AM)MrMagolor Wrote:

But this applies to birds. Birds, being polymorph-class critters, can pick up more or less every item that a human can.

Eh, polymorph-class critters (which is an arbitrary tier that I pretty much just made up for sake of classification that is not in any code) are necessarily that way. Some can't use intercoms (which somehow involves picking them up), some can interact with them just fine. Timberdoodles are really weird; they have hat slots, but can't pick up any hats, including paper hats. Their equipment slots are pretty inconsistent, though that's a thing for another thread.

It's pretty reasonable to assume ghost critters and critters created by polymorph could have similar pick-up restrictions. You can be polymorphed into a roach, for example, and it's not that different being a ghost critter roach.

Like Noah said, the real oddity is that the saber doesn't work all. Sure, maybe birds picking up csabers is an oversight, in the same way ghost critters picking up flashes was. Maybe it's not, and whoever made the code for birds fully intended that. But csabers simply doing absolutely nothing is most certainly a bug.
(10-14-2018, 12:04 PM)Studenterhue Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 11:07 AM)MrMagolor Wrote:

Eh, polymorph-class critters (which is an arbitrary tier that I pretty much just made up for sake of classification that is not in any code) are necessarily that way. Some can't use intercoms (which somehow involves picking them up), some can interact with them just fine. Timberdoodles are really weird; they have hat slots, but can't pick up any hats, including paper hats. Their equipment slots are pretty inconsistent, though that's a thing for another thread.

It's pretty reasonable to assume ghost critters and critters created by polymorph could have similar pick-up restrictions. You can be polymorphed into a roach, for example, and it's not that different being a ghost critter roach.

Like Noah said, the real oddity is that the saber doesn't work all. Sure, maybe birds picking up csabers is an oversight, in the same way ghost critters picking up flashes was. Maybe it's not, and whoever made the code for birds fully intended that. But csabers simply doing absolutely nothing is most certainly a bug.

Feather fluid birds(parrots) can carry any items humans can, even loaves and TTVs. I was able to pick up the saber when it was activated.
This is a feature IMO. Birds shouldn't be able to use weapons meant for people because they're birds.
(10-17-2018, 01:05 PM)Berrik Wrote: This is a feature IMO. Birds shouldn't be able to use weapons meant for people because they're birds.

Counterpoint:
[Image: Za7JWRQ.jpg]
(10-17-2018, 01:05 PM)Berrik Wrote: This is a feature IMO. Birds shouldn't be able to use weapons meant for people because they're birds.

[Image: tenor.gif]