Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Improving the Map Vote System
(10-28-2018, 02:06 AM)locusts Wrote:
(10-27-2018, 06:40 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(10-27-2018, 07:12 AM)locusts Wrote: Giving this a little bit of a bump. Since Oshan launched it's largely been that or Cog1, though I have seen the other maps pop up. It would however be nice to have more rotation, and as newer maps are added in it's going to be harder to suggest improvements if we can't play on them as everyone wants Cog1, Oshan, and maybe sometimes Clarion.

Some suggestions:
- If a map has won three map votes in a row, it is automatically excluded from the next map vote.

Have you considered that people are voting for Oshan, Clarion, and Cog 1 because they prefer playing on those maps?

The whole point of the voting system is to let people play on the maps they WANT to play on.

Have you considered that sometimes people want to play on other maps but due to voter apathy cannot?

People who want to play on a specific map will continue voting for that map regardless of whether or not this change is implemented.

Likewise, people who have no strong map preferences will continue to not vote.

This doesn't address voter apathy.

What might help is if we introduced an approval style voting system. By doing so, we would enable individuals to effectively express their dissatisfaction with a particular map.

Let me provide two examples to illustrate what I mean.

Example 1:
This is now the sixth round in a row you've played on oshan. You're getting sick and tired of all this water and you just want to go back to space. You don't really care which space map, though. As such, when the map vote comes up, you put a check next to every map name except oshan. After all the votes are tallied, cogmap 2 wins. You're satisfied with this turn of events and feel pretty good about having contributed to the vote.

Example 2:
You're now playing on cogmap 2 when the population takes a major hit for some reason. All of a sudden, the formerly bustling map now seems remarkably empty with only 11 people on it. You don't like feeling isolated, so you decide it's a good idea to vote in a smaller map for the next round. Destiny is your favorite map, but you like clarion too. While you could just vote for destiny, you decide to hedge your bets and vote for both destiny and clarion just in case. When the votes come in, the results are as follows:
6 - Destiny
6 - Clarion
5 - Cog2
The tie is resolved through random selection, naming Clarion the winner.
You find out after the fact that there were 5 diehard cog2 fans on the server who voted exclusively for cog2 despite the population decrease.
That means that five other people agreed with your judgment and voted accordingly.
If this vote had been conducted with a single-choice FPTP system like we currently do, Cog2 would almost certainly have won since the remaining voters would've been too evenly split between destiny and clarion.

Formerly apathetic voters are encouraged to start giving a shit thanks to the increased level of agency provided by the new voting system, and everyone becomes marginally more happy.
Honestly why isn't map preferences part of the character loadout?
Put it in the job preferences, just below antag roles, and then do as described above.
(10-28-2018, 10:42 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: Honestly why isn't map preferences part of the character loadout?
Put it in the job preferences, just below antag roles, and then do as described above.

Character loadout associated preferences could autofill the checkboxes for the vote but still allow you to manually override them.
I just want to note that I have this thread bookmarked for whenever I can summon the energy to do code things again. All your suggestions are super useful and I will definitely implement some version of all of them.
I'm honestly curious as to how many people vote per round. But I do REALLY like the idea of a default vote option. Mine would probably be cog1 unless its getting near 50 people. Then I'd probably manually vote for cog2.