Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Improving the Map Vote System
Map Vote is cool. The part where frequently a map will win despite being so strongly disliked that it winning causes half the players on the server to leave immediately sucks. The fact that there is like a 10% participation rate in map voting no matter how much the admins shout at everyone for not voting also sucks.

A discussion about this on the discord produced the following ideas:

• Make voting more representative by allowing voters to check boxes next to all the maps they are okay with (So that you can indicate that your second choice is Cog2 rather than Donut, or vice-versa)

• Make voting more representative by only switching maps if more than a certain percentage of the server population bothers to vote (non-voters being assumed to be fine with staying on the current map)

• Improve voter turnout by giving everyone who casts a map vote 50 spacebucks

• Improve voter turnout by giving everyone who casts a map vote an "I Voted" sticker as a bonus trinket on the following round.

Discuss the above or pitch your own ideas or share your thoughts. I'd like it if we could lean towards stuff that can realistically be implemented, since I think we're all tired of how often map votes turn out a map seemingly nobody wanted, whether it's because of the genuine issues with first-past-the-post voting, or because only four people voted in a thirty person round
i like spacebux

also FPTP sucks

also voting apathy sucks
I like all of the ideas mentioned, but the "I Voted" sticker would be a bit weird on the RP server.
Let us set a favorite map in the profile menu which acts as our default vote.

Cog24evr - probably,
(08-05-2018, 05:45 PM)InternetDweller Wrote: I like all of the ideas mentioned, but the "I Voted" sticker would be a bit weird on the RP server.

Literally a reason to scream about not voting for the current captain.
(08-05-2018, 06:57 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Let us set a favorite map in the profile menu which acts as our default vote.

Cog24evr - probably,

This, and/or make no vote count as a vote for the current map, and/or make the voting thing pop up and be unclosable until you vote. Make voting mandatory, I mean
(08-06-2018, 01:41 AM)NateTheSquid Wrote:  make the voting thing pop up and be unclosable until you vote. Make voting mandatory, I mean

Add it to the pre-round stuff along with the spacebucks menu, but obviously only applying to the next round because compile times and all.
If you vote for another map, but somehow the turn-out still results in Donut2, can the sticker read: "I voted for X, but all I got was a lousy Donut"?
(08-06-2018, 10:23 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote: If you vote for another map, but somehow the turn-out still results in Donut2, can the sticker read: "I voted for X, but all I got was a lousy Donut"?

One for every station.

All I got was a lousy cog.

Except the mushroom one just says "FUCK EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU!"
(08-06-2018, 01:41 AM)NateTheSquid Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 06:57 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Let us set a favorite map in the profile menu which acts as our default vote.

Cog24evr - probably,

This, and/or make no vote count as a vote for the current map, and/or make the voting thing pop up and be unclosable until you vote. Make voting mandatory, I mean

I feel like the whole "no vote counting as a vote for the current map" should be weighed a little lighter.

Like, only counting as 1/3 of a vote instead of a full one, so you don't need to get half the server to all vote the same to change it
This is a good idea
Giving this a little bit of a bump. Since Oshan launched it's largely been that or Cog1, though I have seen the other maps pop up. It would however be nice to have more rotation, and as newer maps are added in it's going to be harder to suggest improvements if we can't play on them as everyone wants Cog1, Oshan, and maybe sometimes Clarion.

Some suggestions:
- If a map has won three map votes in a row, it is automatically excluded from the next map vote.
- Alternatively, have a random selection of two or three of the maps each time. Not voting counts as a random vote. If three maps, you could use ranked voting, ie. have a first and second preference. Count votes and the one with least votes is knocked out, all those votes move to their voter's second preference, and the winner decided from there.
- (Optional) automatic voting in character settings, which is overwritten by a manual vote in game. Maybe have it so that an automatic vote only counts for half so that it's easier to break out of automatic votes for the same map over and over.
This is a thinly disguised attempt to disenfranchise the voting spaceman and you should be ashamed for posting it.
(10-27-2018, 07:12 AM)locusts Wrote: Giving this a little bit of a bump. Since Oshan launched it's largely been that or Cog1, though I have seen the other maps pop up. It would however be nice to have more rotation, and as newer maps are added in it's going to be harder to suggest improvements if we can't play on them as everyone wants Cog1, Oshan, and maybe sometimes Clarion.

Some suggestions:
- If a map has won three map votes in a row, it is automatically excluded from the next map vote.

Have you considered that people are voting for Oshan, Clarion, and Cog 1 because they prefer playing on those maps?

The whole point of the voting system is to let people play on the maps they WANT to play on.
(10-27-2018, 06:40 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(10-27-2018, 07:12 AM)locusts Wrote: Giving this a little bit of a bump. Since Oshan launched it's largely been that or Cog1, though I have seen the other maps pop up. It would however be nice to have more rotation, and as newer maps are added in it's going to be harder to suggest improvements if we can't play on them as everyone wants Cog1, Oshan, and maybe sometimes Clarion.

Some suggestions:

Have you considered that people are voting for Oshan, Clarion, and Cog 1 because they prefer playing on those maps?

The whole point of the voting system is to let people play on the maps they WANT to play on.

Have you considered that sometimes people want to play on other maps but due to voter apathy cannot? Having one game out of four not be in the most popular map is hardly the destruction of democracy, and considering that we jump between Cog1 and Oshan fairly frequently this isn't likely to happen too often.