Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critical "Encountered an improper argument." dreamseeker freeze/crash/disconnect on login
Whenever I try to connect to a Goonstation server I get a dreamseeker popup that says "Encountered an improper argument." along with a Windows error sound the moment I connect and the Character Setup window appears. The Dreamseeker client then becomes unresponsive (clicking anything in Character Setup doesn't do anything) and about 30 seconds later I get a red "You are either experiencing lag or the connection has closed." message in the chatlog.

This happens to me every time I try to connect to Goonstation #2, and makes it completely impossible for me to play.

Things I have tried:
-Upgrading to the latest (512.1423) version of BYOND
-Also trying versions 512.1421, 512.1422, 512.1401
-Completely uninstalling and reinstalling BYOND
-Connecting to Goonstation #1 (same error)
-Creating a new BYOND account and connecting with that (same error)

I think when I tried to connect for the very first time I may have gotten a message about my character data being out of date/in the wrong format and being reset or something like that. That message doesn't appear anymore so I don't remember exactly what it says. My BYOND account is Takanago and I used to play as Burt Norman.

I would appreciate any help you could give me with this, even just a workaround because I just can't play at all with this. I've managed to play on Goonstation from this computer before but I can't now.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Any way I could get some help with this? I don't want to nag but this is completely preventing me from playing on Goonstation. I tried deleting my Documents/BYOND/ folder (which made BYOND forget my account data, made me re-download resources, etc.) and try logging in after that but I still got this error. I also tried logging in with a different account again and still got this error.
I can't say I've ever ran in to this issue before, so I don't have a great deal of advice.

General troubleshooting tips are to update to the latest byond 512 beta, clear your cache and make sure IE is up to date too.
Update IE, update directX, update your graphics drivers, turn on ActiveX filtering in internet explorer, and make sure your antivirus isn't messing with things.
Also if you're using a laptop with a dual integrated / GPU setup, make sure to flag dreamseeker.exe as an application that uses your GPU and not integrated card.