Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
Off-Duty Security
(03-13-2018, 04:57 AM)Ed Venture Wrote: I like this idea for the sole fact that it promotes the crew to work with security then against it. Other people's issues are valid though and Frank is right someone who does not want to be Security would not want to be a off-duty officer. But at the same time this would be a great way to ease people who normally don't play security into the role.

I think Ed sums up the sentiment of this not being a "fix" for sec, but I don't think it's intended to be one. 
As I understood the suggestion, it's not a matter of populating security or having a patroling force- it's specifically for players who don't want to do the day-to-day security job so it's not gonna act like security. 

This suggestion adresses a different problem: that once shit DOES go down, people who didn't want to spend the round enforcin' and lawin' now DO want to be able to fight back against the acute threat - and that's what off-duty sec should and would do ( like an off-duty cop, he won't be patrolling the streets but will be on-call when Les Térroristes Syndiqués come to town ). 
It's not about having the halls patrolled, but about antags knowing there's a redstripe doctor in medbay and he's armed, should you decide to bomb the cloner. 

And by letting non-sec players get a taste of space law justice + serve/protect gameplay, it might sway people to like the actual sec role a bit more.
(03-13-2018, 04:54 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 03:28 PM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 12:11 PM)Gannets Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 10:44 AM)Tombi Wrote: Valid Argument

That's a very valid argument.

my issue is more admins abscond with bad people when that is security's job

i think it would be more fun if it had more of an arr pee element to it where griffers/people who break the rules excessively to warrant being banned had an apb on them on grounds of high treason and with security being tasked to take them in dead or alive (and then they get banned)

While this meta marked-for-death minigame/ARG (???) thing? sounds fuckin NEATO, it's gonna be an issue. There seems to be a policy of making bans fairly quiet and private, as opposed to other servers that broadcast bans, the admins here keep it entirely hush hush, not even informing the person who reported (and it's better that way and here's a reason about that):
1. Murders a happenin'
2. Witness a Murderin' 
3. Ahelp the Murderin'
4. ( Murderer quietly goes away / APB released ! )
5. ( "maybe he got murdered?" / "oh he wasn't the antag, where's the real one?" )
oh no! information leaks! 
yes it's vindicating to be given carte blanche to validhunt someone who's actually wronged you, but it's still opening up more information than it should and can lead to more validhunting. and in the meantime Pubs McGriffer is still running around the station griffiing out of spite 'cause he knows he's already been banned.

if that's an issue then just have APBs put out on traitors who kill a large amount of people then (maybe 1/4th of the server population excluding NPCs at roundstart)

(also this doesn't extend to just people that murder/blow shit up, it would also cover people who break rules regarding bigotry, racism, etc)
(03-13-2018, 01:15 PM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 04:54 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 03:28 PM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 12:11 PM)Gannets Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 10:44 AM)Tombi Wrote: Valid Argument

That's a very valid argument.

cool apb idea

bunch of rambling garbage

if that's an issue then just have APBs put out on traitors who kill a large amount of people then (maybe 1/4th of the server population excluding NPCs at roundstart)

(also this doesn't extend to just people that murder/blow shit up, it would also cover people who break rules regarding bigotry, racism, etc)

a) cool idea, +1 from me 

b) if the apb-style-ban is for someone breaking the "social" rules, i'd argue it's even worse than metagaming, because now you've got a racist runnin around yellin slurs or trynna yiff while the UltraQualified™ security team chases them. I'm sure there's fixes for every type of mess ( mute them, remove arms, etc ) but at that point it's just a shamecube without the glass. Seems like a lot of work for it.