Goonstation Forums
Off-Duty Security - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Off-Duty Security (/showthread.php?tid=10123)

Pages: 1 2 3

Off-Duty Security - Lady Birb - 03-09-2018

(03-09-2018, 08:29 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: I like it, make it a thread Birb!

Here you go!

A very common suggestion in recent times is to force a certain amount of security officers in a round based on the population. Also recently, people have started considering merging security with other roles, for people who want to enforce the law while still having something to do other than validhunt.

Whydontwehaveboth.jpg

In any given round, it would require 1 security officer for every 10 players. In the event of that amount not being filled, random non-antagonist crew who do not have security set to unwanted will be designated as off-duty security. Off-duty security would have the following:
  • Their uniform would have a red stripe on it.
  • Their ID would have security's red strip instead of their usual department stripe, and they would have all of the access of a security officer in addition to their normal access.
  • Their headset would have the security channel in addition to their usual channels.
For the purposes of this, the Head of Security, if there is one, will count as a security officer. Roles that start with security access but can still be an antagonist (ie: the captain and detective) Do not count as security, but also cannot become off-duty officers.

Let me give you an example round, to make it easier to understand:

There are 40 players on the server. There is one officer and the Head of Security. The Roboticist is a traitor, so they are excluded by default. The chef has security set to unwanted, so they are also excluded. A scientist and an Engineer have security set to low and medium priority, respectively, so they are included in the pool and subsequently selected as off-duty security.

RE: Off-Duty Security - Gannets - 03-09-2018

This is an idea worth discussing, i think.

RE: Off-Duty Security - Xeram - 03-09-2018

As someone who is entirely for the station milita form of security I like this idea as is since it realistically it works better and responds better to playercount. My only suggestion/tweak is that the sec to crew ratio be dropped to 1:7/1:8 since the server typically floats around 19 - 24 people before prime time and this would prevent only having one secofficer for 18 other people.

RE: Off-Duty Security - Wisecrack34 - 03-09-2018

1:7 would be my preferred ratio, other than that I'm all for it! Perhaps you could set it from medium to low but not as fav or unwanted (To prevent people always playing it and people never playing it)

RE: Off-Duty Security - Vitatroll - 03-09-2018

I'm partial to φ myself.

RE: Off-Duty Security - Wisecrack34 - 03-09-2018

A quick reminder to start rating threads, id recommend a 3 for ideas worth discussing, 4 for ideas OP needs to iron out and 5 for perfection, add it as it is

RE: Off-Duty Security - Firepower - 03-09-2018

Isn't this basically just legalized vigilantism? Except instead of calling them vigilantes they're called "Off-duty security". We used to have the Vice Officer, who was basically exactly this except he had botany access. And that job got removed.

RE: Off-Duty Security - Cyfarfod - 03-09-2018

It should be weighted so that the off-duties are from different departments.

It should maybe also be weighted to tend towards medbay jobs first (Med Director->Roboticist->Geneticist->Medical Doctor) both because medbay profits from an attached sec officer in a lotta ways and also it gives some jobs that don't always have a lot to do another thing to do.

RE: Off-Duty Security - Eibel - 03-09-2018

You would torture me
Horrid
Bartender already has a gun give him the stripes first!

Seriously though as a paramedic i tend to be insanely busy focusing on taking care of the wounded, if id have to be off duty sec then my focus would have to be torn between the two positions.

RE: Off-Duty Security - Vitatroll - 03-09-2018

I'm kinda iffy on the whole idea because it breaks my IMMERSION maaaan.

We might as well just do the simple thing and give sec all-access sans head rooms and the ID comp. It's always been kinda weird to me that sec has such restricted access in the first place.

(03-09-2018, 05:13 PM)Eibel Wrote: You would torture me
Horrid
Bartender already has a gun give him the stripes first!

Seriously though as a paramedic i tend to be insanely busy focusing on taking care of the wounded, if id have to be off duty sec then my focus would have to be torn between the two positions.

Fair points, but you're not ALWAYS the only med staff (I put medical doctors lowest for a reason) and honestly a lot of the time when you are, we're barely cracking the 10 players we're talking about per sec officer anyhow.

Bartender->Medics isn't a bad idea though. Maybe QM, too. Bartender by virtue of being at the bar which is a hotspot and QM by virtue of not having a lot to do and also being able to order stuff.

Remember, this isn't about you getting drafted as a SEC OFFICER (it feels like) so much as having someone with SEC ACCESS. If you really had to you could deputize someone and hand em a baton.

RE: Off-Duty Security - Frank_Stein - 03-09-2018

Meh, I'd rather actual Sec could assign and unassign themselves to areas, getting additional access maybe at the cost of less general access.

(03-09-2018, 07:07 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Meh, I'd rather actual Sec could assign and unassign themselves to areas, getting additional access maybe at the cost of less general access.

I want both! DIP THAT CHOCOLATE IN MY PEANUT BUTTER!

RE: Off-Duty Security - Eibel - 03-09-2018

Currently security officers spawn with a cloning record disc and have a health implant already in them. Would offDuty Sec have these things?

RE: Off-Duty Security - Wisecrack34 - 03-10-2018

I would assume yes considering the possibility of them being targeted for their Sec access