Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mushroom/Donut 2 discussion
Mushroom and Donut 2 are two of the oldest maps currently in the map list. They’re undeniably of great nostalgic value to the older crowd, and having more options for maps is better than less.

Unfortunately, in their current incarnation, they’re also old-fashioned, clunky, and missing a lot of the more fun features of the newer maps. Space is oddly utilized, and the layout is unintuitive. Mushroom/Donut rounds are generally my least favourite rounds for that reason.

This is a thread for discussing what can be done to bring those two maps up to par with the newer maps. While straight-up bugs can be mentioned here, this is more for general improvements to make playing on them just a little bit more pleasant.

Some starting points:

- Add full Valuchimps to genetics, not just monkeys milking around

- Shift the podbay of Donut 2 so that it’s not off in an obscure corner accessible only through a small maint tunnel

- Fuel tanks (big) are sparse and hidden in hard to access locations. Fuel tanks (small) are nonexistent

- more owls
I'd say more generally they need some kind of "facelift", be remade from scratch while approximately keeping things in place and approximately keeping the station's shape, but not hesitating to remake entire parts of it. Adding new things, not in the form of small rooms that looks like it was glued to the station in a hurry (like the chief engineer's "office" on mushroom).

Make it like you would make a new map (creativity-wise), yet keep an eye on what the old station wise, so that, even if it's not the same and all shiny, you can still recognize it.

Like this it'd make them more enjoyable to play in, and not just from nostalgia.
But then again it'd be "New Mushroom" and "New Donut 2", not the actual original maps. But I guess I'm fine with that.

Also more air security.
I don't like these maps for the aforementioned issues and when they come up I typically sit out the round.
Barring a complete overhaul, I’d be entirely in favor of completely removing Mushroom and Donut 2 from the map list, incidentally. I feel like they’re pretty redundant with all the other choices.
I wouldn't mind having both a remade version and a regular version available so if you wanna go through a nostalgia run (I don't have any fond memories of them but I know others do) then you're free to do so
Personally, i enjoy the annoyance those two maps provide, but that's just because my job is pretty simple and doesn't need much creativity to do effectively.

That being said, i would love to see these maps updated at least, and i personally have a small bitching list...

Donut:
Robotics: the room needs a mini look-over, the supplies crate is full of a bunch of flashes, which are no longer important for creating robots, and I'm not sure if robotics uses the research machine anymore

Morgue: Out of the way and honestly rarely used, mostly a complaint it's hiding than anything else

Medbay General: The 'halls' in medbay are a mix between one-square width and 3-square width, it's kind of uneven as hell and messes with my noggin.  It'd be nice to have some kind of normality there one or the other, because people tend to gravitate to that one freaking spot that is 1-square width which causes me to flip shit which is probably why folks park there honestly

There's only one nanomed dispenser for the entire medbay.  Donut wasn't built for a small crew, so having one normal dispenser and the portable nanomed make it very difficult for multiple docs to work, I tend to go make copies pretty quick so it's not an issue, but I shouldn't need to be playing fake-mechanic and doctor for a particular station.

There is no medical fabricator at all on this station.  It does not exist.

Genetics: As a ex-geneticist, I'm jelly.  You're so far away.
But really, I think one of the maint halls they don't have access to a door between medbay and genetics, I don't recall which as I haven't played genetics in a very long time.  It'd be nice if they had a nice lit hallway between them and us since they do need to come over and use our stuff anyway, and I'd like to make sure they're ok and not being beaten to death by a monkey, like normal.

Pathology: It's on zeta.

Maint Tunnels: I LOVE Donut's maint tunnels, they're everywhere and lead to funky places.  They're just empty as hell.

Tool Storage: I put this here because that's usually where it is, but I've yet to have found a second pre-built cyborg body like there is in other stations, but I haven't looked too hard so this could be just a me-thing and not a station thing.

etc.: This may not be an issue but, I could not find an AI renamer the last time I looked for one, not sure where one would be and I checked tech storage, there is one right?

Mushroom:
Robotics: Honestly, I love the robotics here.  Very straightforward, nice that people can go straight to my door if they want, still locked away, and convenient for me to escape in multiple directions if needed.

Morgue: Locked behind genetics access, and those weirdos don't touch dead bodies unless they killed their monkeymen, so I'm of the opinion this should be moved and unlocked to generic doctor access.

Genetics: Their space is pretty damn huge just so that they can futz around a computer all shift and die by monkies.  I do like that they can be checked on incase a ling gets hungry for our resident spacebrains though.

Medbay General: I've bitched about this before but, all of our ways to treat people involve a concentrated area behind a 'locked' door.  Folks just, wander in all they want and really, my complaint here is, we should really get a lobby so we can treat people OUTSIDE of our office but nearby, like we do in cog1.

Surgery: It's in the back, almost like it's a forgotten closet, the IV stands stored on top of operating tables don't help that either.  It'd be nice to have that moved and use that space for something else like medical storage, or a pharmacy, since that's also where the chemistry window is.

Director: Our boss has no office at all, just a locker shoved in the corner.  Rude

Cloner: As much as I really appreciate the cloner's out of genetics finally, I hate that everyone can wander up to it and stick their fingers in it all they want.  All other stations the cloner is locked behind a glass door or something, but mushroom it's like a prized pig begging to be fucked with.

Maint Tunnels: The same problem that donut has, they're spacious and open, but unlike donut i can't easily slip around the station using just the tunnels.  Granted, this is a personal complaint, and I've successfully hidden as MD in them during rev rounds, it's still just, weird to me.  Some places have no maint at all, which is probably why it's so weird to me, like the kitchen.

These maps are antags.
They exist to hurt the crew.
This makes them good. ish.
maybe make some form of Radiation to Power Converter that can be fed and then ran through a PTL on both maps, so you can make money off of the singulo engines.
(03-01-2018, 02:41 PM)Drago156 Wrote: maybe make some form of Radiation to Power Converter that can be fed and then ran through a PTL on both maps, so you can make money off of the singulo engines.
The problem with that is that it would make the PTL power output static, which kinda defeats its whole reward aspect.
You can increase the Singulo output by feeding mass into it and adding more rad collectors.
(03-07-2018, 12:52 PM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: You can increase the Singulo output by feeding mass into it 

This changes everything and is now my favorite engine.