Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1 Average
implement less strict rules akin to assday
I don't think there's even that many people in the wider SS13 community who would enjoy a ruleset like that. Frankly, if the majority of SS13 players subscribed to that line of thought, servers like Hippie/Traitor Deathmatch would be consistently topping the server charts, and...well, they aren't.

Looking at the common complaints about goon, there are just as many (if not more) complaints about goon being too chaotic for them as there are complaints about the reverse, and the complaints about goon being too strict are generally along the lines of 'if I choose to speak entirely in slurs, that's an IC action and no badmins should tell me otherwise'.
It's hard to explain the feeling of what people miss from old goon but it's something I've thought about over one of my vacations from the game.

Back then goon in general was treated majorly as a game with sandbox elements. There was an antag. We don't know what yet but we need to be prepared and ready for it. Anyone could be a traitor or a ling. Trust no one. Find allies. Distrust your allies. Be ready for a fight at any second.

Janitors were not routinely spaced back then just for doing their job. They were spaced by lynch mobs for wetting entire hallways and stealing from people or otherwise foiling attempts at defeating a perceived enemy.

Engineers on the other hand, in the days of the singularity would be strung up and gutted if the thing wasn't online by the time the first light started going out.

Now-a-days it's treated far more like a sandbox with a game going on inside it. The prevailing community thought is that people should be going and doing their own thing and if they're not sec not bothering trying to fight antags and it's getting caught in some horrendous cycle. (Complaints about nobody bothering to fight antags, complaints about vigilantes ruining game for fighting antags, complaints about security now that the vigilantes are gone, return to complaints about no sec to fight antags, repeat.)

Basically we've shifted mindset from the gamemode of the round being the game with everything else being a compliment or additive to that experience, to the gamemode is just an additive to everything else in the game.
That's not due to any dramatic shift in the rules/admin policy though, that's just been a general shift of player culture due to the playerbase changing and evolving over time. A dramatic change in the rules won't bring back the players from old goon en masse, because they've gone off to other servers/gotten into other games/just plain have no more time for gaming anymore. All it'll do is drive away the people who currently like goon the way it is.
(05-17-2017, 11:16 PM)Xeram Wrote: Now-a-days it's treated far more like a sandbox with a game going on inside it. The prevailing community thought is that people should be going and doing their own thing and if they're not sec not bothering trying to fight antags and it's getting caught in some horrendous cycle. (Complaints about nobody bothering to fight antags, complaints about vigilantes ruining game for fighting antags, complaints about security now that the vigilantes are gone, return to complaints about no sec to fight antags, repeat.)

Basically we've shifted mindset from the gamemode of the round being the game with everything else being a compliment or additive to that experience, to the gamemode is just an additive to everything else in the game.

Personally? I think this might be because people are bored with the gamemodes we have
(05-17-2017, 04:58 PM)Mordent Wrote: I can't find a thumbs down emoticon in all of the millions of random ones we have, so just pretend I put like forty of those here.

Here you go: ?... oh, wait. That's not right. Here: ???
Shit. Wait. What? ?????? No! ???????????? Stop! ?????? Please! ???????????Aa-?aa?aa?aa?aa?aa?ah!???????

But seriously, this game just needs one thing to be greater than it already is and Wonk said it best.

(10-20-2016, 11:42 AM)Wonkmin Wrote: add fuckable owls
hum hum

well, i dont know about rules. i suppose it could help to relax things a little. although, even in the old days, i was once job banned for grinding a braindead jerk up into meat, so you may be filtering out humdrum memories of the old days in favor of savoring the exciting ones.

perhaps the problem lays in communications challenges. i frequently find myself zoning out when trying to study the badly cluttered chatbox for clues as to recent happenings.

perhaps it could help if the chatbox was divided in two. one box for radio stuff and the other for same-room talk and the rest of the text like action descriptions. or something like that. do you think that would help? or a way for each user to configure their chatboxes as they please
Both xeram and amaranthineapocalypse have excellent points.
(05-18-2017, 05:15 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: But seriously, this game just needs one thing to be greater than it already is and Wonk said it best.

(10-20-2016, 11:42 AM)Wonkmin Wrote: add fuckable owls

Only thing goon needs
bring back one hit kos and the hilarity clause. people don't like our rules because it's "restrictive", they don't like it because they're racist and want to roleplay as caricatures of black people because they've never seen a black person irl
Maybe the hilarity clause still exists but you guys aren't funny.

Rather than a shift in the rules, it's, as most people have said, a shift in the community. I yell at people for the same shit I got yelled at as a player a few years ago. I do agree that new gamemodes could help spice things up and make people more interested, however.

(05-18-2017, 08:58 AM)OMJ Wrote: bring back one hit kos

I don't speak for everyone, but no.
Last time I saw the hilarity clause successfully used was about a year ago. Something something penis something gimmick.

I do remember I was in tears.
the hilarity clause is lovely in spirit, but there is sadly no objective metric for what is or is not hilarity

1hit kos may be too much, but i still pray for improved means to turn the tables on buff aggressors
(05-18-2017, 09:10 AM)misto Wrote: the hilarity clause is lovely in spirit, but there is sadly no objective metric for what is or is not hilarity

1hit kos may be too much, but i still pray for improved means to turn the tables on buff aggressors
I think critical hits that apply status effects could spice up combat.

For instance, knocking the wind out of someone where they can't speak for a bit. Or giving them a concussion where they have confused movement for a bit.
(05-17-2017, 07:02 PM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(05-17-2017, 04:58 PM)Mordent Wrote: I can't find a thumbs down emoticon in all of the millions of random ones we have, so just pretend I put like forty of those here.

you could at least post your thoughts about this idea rather than just thoughtless white noise

I thought forty thumbs down would convey what I thought, but sure:

As others have said, the rules are mostly the same with the difference being the community swing. I, for one, actually like the direction it's gone in because it's oftentimes hard enough to survive as-is without being assaulted for no real reason by non-antags.
i guess that, given the precedent set by assday, we could experiment, yes? like, besides the 13th, we could pick some other date to be "rules lite" time rather than utter lawlessness. see if we can hit upon some kind of mystical sweet spot