Goonstation Forums
implement less strict rules akin to assday - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: implement less strict rules akin to assday (/showthread.php?tid=8723)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

implement less strict rules akin to assday - babayetu83 - 05-17-2017

now im not saying change the rules to be a 1:1 replica of assday but something like this would be more in line with returning to the good ol' days of when chaos reigned supreme 

i think people shy away from here because of how strict the rules seem and also due to the reputation that was garnered over the years of the admins being banhappy (i think i heard this from gannets, and he went on to mention that theyre also very unban-happy)

and if such implementation would cause more work for the admins to sort out the genuinely bad people i'd be willing to volunteer my time to help

RE: implement less strict rules akin to assday - HydroFloric - 05-17-2017

If you are talking about when you could space the janitor for wetting the floors then no. Though compared to all the other servers I still think goon has some pretty lax rules.

RE: implement less strict rules akin to assday - Ed Venture - 05-17-2017

Yeah I think chaos can return with the current rules. Just going to take a community shift to get there. Back then you could be spaced for being in the wrong room and I rather not go back to being killed for no reason full time.

Just a side note but Ass Day is so great cause it's once a month.

RE: implement less strict rules akin to assday - Noah Buttes - 05-17-2017

I do wish we could specifically space the janitor for doing his job again though.

That was a time honored tradition.

RE: implement less strict rules akin to assday - Mordent - 05-17-2017

I can't find a thumbs down emoticon in all of the millions of random ones we have, so just pretend I put like forty of those here.

RE: implement less strict rules akin to assday - Vitatroll - 05-17-2017

The bad rep stays; nothing we can do about it. People who have never been here listening to old stories or people who whine on reddit because they got banned for being absolute shitlers. Then of course there's any non-goon who plays Eve...

Anyways, I wouldn't mind a slightly harsher (especially considering the Janitor) Goonstation. It won't do a damn thing for our pop though. Might even hurt it. Right now all we get are the leftovers from other servers that don't like the bigotry, sexuality, etc. Since this is the internet, that isn't very many people.

RE: implement less strict rules akin to assday - Superlagg - 05-17-2017

Instead, let's think about why we are on less of a hair trigger than before, and maybe find a way to foster chaos without it ruining the fun of those getting chaosed.

*Why* was the janitor spaced for making the floors​ wet? Why would we go straight to murder and such for common antics back then, but either ignore, forgive, or join in the escapade now nowadays?

I also wasn't here for these days, was it really as brutal as the historical recounts depict? What was different then than now?

I mean, I'm all for throwing the janitor in the gibber, but I also don't want to make someone sit out of the game for an hour just because I thought it was kinda funny.

RE: implement less strict rules akin to assday - Musketman12 - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 05:48 PM)Superlagg Wrote: *Why* was the janitor spaced for making the floors wet? Why would we go straight to murder and such for common antics back then, but either ignore, forgive, or join in the escapade now nowadays?

I also wasn't here for these days, was it really as brutal as the historical recounts depict? What was different then than now?

I mean, I'm all for throwing the janitor in the gibber, but I also don't want to make someone sit out of the game for an hour just because I thought it was kinda funny.
It was way more brutal and there is probably a number of reasons why, i'll try to list a few at least.
1. Lag, you don't even know how much lag has improved since like 2012. If you weren't the first to attack in a fight you would have a high chance of getting dead. Fights are 10x quicker now than they were.
2. Different combat systems: It used to work where you would have a chance of instant ko'ing someone with a blunt object and you could proceed to beat them to death. Also tasers were a one shot stun.
3.Population: You would have 60+ people running around on a station about the size of, maybe even smaller than cogmap. You couldn't walk 5 tiles without seeing someone and more than likely at least one of them will try to kill you so you had to keep your guard up.
4. Things we're more complicated in general, chemistry you had to figure everything out on your own, no wiki to help you. Genetics was weird as fuck and new genetics is way easier. Toxins could get dangerous with the lag and such. Weapons were hard to find so at the most you would have a fire extinguisher between you and death around every corner.

Those are just some of the reasons I could think of, i'm sure there are plenty more.

As for my opinion I don't want to really go back to where the slightest thing would get you tossed in the crusher but I would like sec to be more like they were back then where if they caught your ass more than likely you would be going out the nearest airlock. Traitors 95% of the time don't even have to worry about sec now and if they do get caught they will probably just get their shit taken and released. As a traitor I like a sec force that doesn't fuck around, makes me have to improvise more and make sure every shot counts.

RE: implement less strict rules akin to assday - Ed Venture - 05-17-2017

One thing that was a thing back then that's not a thing now was the hilarity clause. That rule allowed shit players to get away with anything even if they broke the rules because if admins found it funny they got to avoid any punishment. In my opinion it was removed cause of this certain player (who shall not be named) would always abuse the rule.

I really do not want to go back to the days where hilarity clause is a thing again. I nearly quit goonstation cause a certain someone would always get away with everything because of that rule.

RE: implement less strict rules akin to assday - babayetu83 - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 04:58 PM)Mordent Wrote: I can't find a thumbs down emoticon in all of the millions of random ones we have, so just pretend I put like forty of those here.

you could at least post your thoughts about this idea rather than just thoughtless white noise

RE: implement less strict rules akin to assday - Frank_Stein - 05-17-2017

I thought the player base just got sick of being constantly mugged and murdered. I know I did

RE: implement less strict rules akin to assday - Superlagg - 05-17-2017

I know I'd be more okay with being mugged and murdered if there was something to do after that other than whinge and build a bar in Escape.

RE: implement less strict rules akin to assday - Vitatroll - 05-17-2017

Another thing to consider is that, back then, we had multiple servers running with more people than our current average. If you died, you could just hop onto another server.

Since I've been done 'playing' for a long while, my opinion is pretty moot. There's very little difference between me being alive or dead.

RE: implement less strict rules akin to assday - Roomba - 05-17-2017

The people who would flock to goon upon hearing that random murder was once more an acceptable thing are not people I would enjoy playing with for extended amounts of time.

RE: implement less strict rules akin to assday - Bologna Prime - 05-17-2017

The rules relevant to the "chaos" seem hardly changed over the years, looking at their revision history. The pace of things was changed by the community itself, and frankly suggesting that the day-to-day ruleset be ass-day lite seems like another overboard suggestion that sees the older goon in a bit of a rose tint. The remedy to the recent lull in population is new, unique, and substantial features, not chasing after some idealized vision of what goon used to be.

(05-17-2017, 04:21 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: and if such implementation would cause more work for the admins to sort out the genuinely bad people i'd be willing to volunteer my time to help

Cackling Aloud With Gusto