Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Gunplay: How do you feel about it?
I like the implant idea, it would stop people from raiding security and leaving late joining sec nothing but a box of clothes. Also if anything here gets implemented then emagging something thats implant locked should unlock it.
(05-09-2017, 02:14 PM)HydroFloric Wrote: I like the implant idea, it would stop people from raiding security and leaving late joining sec nothing but a box of clothes. Also if anything here gets implemented then emagging something thats implant locked should unlock it.

Huh, I think the opposite. Emagging something that's implant locked should shock anyone who attempts to use it, regardless of whether or not they have an implant.
if its an implant lock, then this poses certain security risks when it comes to cloning sec personnel, because implants fall out on the floor in cloning when the body is ground up. they will also have to remember to reimplant it, if its still there. you could have cloning machine check the identity of the person being cloned and give a free one pre implanted into the fresh clone, then its only back to a question of the spare on the floor. and also of whether there are any spares lying around elsewhere for deputizing purposes
(05-09-2017, 02:23 PM)Mordent Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 02:14 PM)HydroFloric Wrote: I like the implant idea, it would stop people from raiding security and leaving late joining sec nothing but a box of clothes. Also if anything here gets implemented then emagging something thats implant locked should unlock it.

Huh, I think the opposite. Emagging something that's implant locked should shock anyone who attempts to use it, regardless of whether or not they have an implant.

I guess either way works.
(05-09-2017, 12:46 PM)misto Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 06:45 AM)poland spring Wrote: Implant lock tasers again and bring back phaser mods bam you got 90% of the issues people are having solved

could there still be some way to modify/jailbreak tasers to make them usable by the common man? sometimes even slowing down.complicating the arming up process can be enough of a change to have an impact

How about make it so the default battery is ID locked? 

Swap out the battery to get the lock off.
(05-09-2017, 02:23 PM)Mordent Wrote:

That's both hilarious and useful.

I love it.
If ID locks are in place, average crew needs their improvised guns

*Looks at misto's unused weapon sprites

(05-09-2017, 03:46 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: Arcstun yes, but only so we can cross the streams.

Would a beam based gun be feasible? As in, you click down and hold to shoot, and can move the beam around by moving your mouse around (I assume it would take time to catch up to the pointer)

That could be a neat way for tasers to function. A quick zap gets people to drop things, but a sustained beam would be needed slow and eventually drop them.

And if beams cross the wielders get stunned
Why not just ID and implant locked. All secoffs get the implant, and having firearm permit assigned to your ID is good enough, but you need both, not one or the other. Only replacement implants should be in the armoury or something. If it's easy for someone who has sec access to get an implant, there'e no point
I would only agree with implant tasers if there are significant work done on makeshift weapons. Otherwise it's just unfair.
I think that projectile speeds should be buffed across the board. You should NOT be able to outsprint a taser shot or a bullet.

I'm also in agreement with the idea that we need far more variation in bullet patterns etc.
(05-10-2017, 07:07 AM)Sundance Wrote: I would only agree with implant tasers if there are significant work done on makeshift weapons. Otherwise it's just unfair.
I don't mean to call you out or anything, but what's unfair about it? Every standard antag has every advantage over Sec, including right of first blood. I just can't think of how this would bring it to where sec would have an advantage over any normal antag.
(05-10-2017, 09:11 AM)Vitatroll Wrote:
(05-10-2017, 07:07 AM)Sundance Wrote: I would only agree with implant tasers if there are significant work done on makeshift weapons. Otherwise it's just unfair.
I don't mean to call you out or anything, but what's unfair about it? Every standard antag has every advantage over Sec, including right of first blood. I just can't think of how this would bring it to where sec would have an advantage over any normal antag.

For once I'll have to disagree with Sundance. Shocking, I know.

While I'd love to see more improvised weapons, if anything, security is already at a disadvantage.
(05-10-2017, 09:11 AM)Vitatroll Wrote:

Implants existed before. They were removed because average crewmen were at a disadvantage in their own defense against traitors and syndicates when there wasn't a proper Sec team to respond to threats.

Which is why if I feel if they are brought back it would be a good idea to expand makeshift weapons. Not necessarily to be as good as what Sec or Traitors have, but enough that you're not completely SOL
Ah. That perspective makes more sense, at least. I figured he was saying that traitors would be disadvantaged. Not sure which it was, but I'll operate on the second notion.

Anyways, I still disagree with it. You're far more likely to run into a situation where the traitor has 5 tasers and you have 0 than one where you're both armed with tasers. If that isn't true, then you likely play Sec, Captain, HoP, or HoS a lot. In other words, the majority of crewmembers are SOL either way. Restricted tasers just make them less so.

I'm not against makeshift weapons, mind. I just didn't get the argument.
(05-10-2017, 10:51 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: Anyways, I still disagree with it. You're far more likely to run into a situation where the traitor has 5 tasers and you have 0 than one where you're both armed with tasers...Restricted tasers just make them less so.
That was another problem with old implants. An emag would unlock the gun, making the implants only useful for stopping common crewmen and traitors who decided not to get an emag (in which case they usually had a better gun anyway)

Another way to go about it would be to have some kinda arms dealer that crewmen can visit for illegal guns (I've argued in the past that player ran gangs should be a more common feature similar to miscreants, with them serving the purpose of blackmarket dealings like this)