Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Surgery thread
I think the GUI has one major flaw:

Likely hard as fuck to program and isn't as necessary. It's not game-changing, and it's significantly harder than tweaking the current system to include simply more things to do. I'm no coder but I'd try to simply add onto what's already there rather than add something entirely new to replace something that works fine.
The main thing I noticed that a few of you mates are missing, is that while scalpel-saw is good for the system we have right now, it simply won't work once the coders get around to adding other organs. Something like what Sundance made would work. Actually, I just came up with something. What if we had a target selector like Sundance's concept, but it would pop up, tooltip-style, like what we have right now with robots? Click on target empty-handed on help intent while they are on the operating table to bring up organ selection, than after choosing an area to operate grab your tools and begin surgery.
kablamo

REVIVE
[Image: 780aae9a86c6e2009f0da086eb22ae02.jpg]

The surgery was a complete success!
the thread is resurrected
i wonder what will happen with its newfound life??
Is this threads rebirth an omen?
hooray my dabs i mean surgery thread is back
More roborgans are all I have a distinct desire for:
No need to remove the old parts first; just jam the new ones in there and let the booze do the rest. Each organ having a neat plus, with little caveats like weakness to shocks. That way it's practically all carrot-no stick. It also gives roboticists something to do. Granted most people won't opt for surgery, but people won't opt for most things so it's the same as always.

New robotics machine: Mental Transmogrifier -
Yeah, mostly incorrect usage, but 'transfer' ain't fancy enough!

Pop a player brain into place A and a non-player brain into place B - then flip the switch! The machine then, with much fanfare, transfers the 'soul' of thing A into thing B and vice-versa. Blammo! Now we have room for brain upgrades! Yeah, it's basically the brain version of the void machine. Possible fun alternatives: Buttbrain. Bikehornbrain. Hairbrain. Ghostbrain. Martianbrain. Brainburgerbrain. Etc.
(02-01-2017, 01:11 PM)Arborinus Wrote: What if each type of surgery had its own tool or set of tools, like how eye surgery was added? Brain and butt surgery would keep scalpel saw but more complicated surgeries would require more delicate tools.

The end product would be a big tray table of intricate and dangerous looking blades, pliers, drills and whatnot with funny use messages for people to experiment with, and maybe some could have the same or interchangeable functions. There would be room for trial and error without completely shutting out pubbies.

I still think this is the way it should be done, and seems like it's much simpler to code than creating a whole new surgery system.

You know those randomized keys you sometimes get as an heirloom? In the code there's a system that generates the keys based on ring, shaft and teeth and gives them a weird name.

What if there was something like that for surgery tools? Generate a random sprite each time and assign a certain function only MDs could see on examination. I could probably sprite "tool pieces" like how the keys are.

I'm not saying they should replace the normal tools but they would fit the feel the game. "Nurse, hand me the Discount Dan Forluxator Mammoccluder!"
We already have a toolbox full of surgical tools. We just have to actually use them:

Scalpel
Saw
Spoon
Stapler
Hemostat
Suture
Scissors
(02-19-2017, 01:07 PM)Grek Wrote: We already have a toolbox full of surgical tools. We just have to actually use them:

Scalpel
Saw
Spoon
Stapler
Hemostat
Suture
Scissors

i think itd be neat if there was an equivalent that spawned in the burned-out rathole staff assistant quarters

like if it contained a knife, pizza cutter, wires (for use as suture), an actual stapler, spoon, and maybe wirecutters or some other tool that could function as a hemostat
Hemostats are for stopping bleeding. I'm entirely for not having hobo-surgery have a real means of reducing the amount of blood splattered everywhere.
I agree that more surgery tools is probably the best way of going about it, and this is coming from the guy who suggested a more complex ragdoll.

It is difficult to suggest extra surgery tools however, as i'm not from a medical background and also I am unsure what organs would be implemented, if ever.

Firstly, The hemostat needs a buff, or another use than just stopping bleeding. Currently it sits rather forlornly on the table. I like the suggestion of there being a more timed angle, perhaps hemostat could be implemented in that way.

Secondly, I'd like to see bandages used more. Currently they have no use over a suture (the same for hemostat really)
I'd like to see some form of septic shock, and bandages used to properly seal large open wounds, in conjunction with rubbing alcohol (which, afaik does nothing at the moment)

Thirdly, probably more use for painkillers. Plain ol' painkillers are highly superior than morphine, which causes addiction almost immediately, and severely. For that reason it's also never used, when really it should be a medical staple, normal painkillers used outside in a pinch.

And lastly, a bit of a sticking point; remove self-surgery and expand *other* forms of surgery. Alcohol surgery should not be the only method of mutilating yourself, replace medical dispensers with fallout-esque autodocs that cost money to replace limbs/organs, while having viable alternatives to missing limbs, such as wheelchairs and crutches. Less hacky, more hilarity.
(02-19-2017, 02:57 PM)Sundance Wrote: I agree that more surgery tools is probably the best way of going about it, and this is coming from the guy who suggested a more complex ragdoll.

It is difficult to suggest extra surgery tools however, as i'm not from a medical background and also I am unsure what organs would be implemented, if ever.

Firstly, The hemostat needs a buff, or another use than just stopping bleeding. Currently it sits rather forlornly on the table. I like the suggestion of there being a more timed angle, perhaps hemostat could be implemented in that way.

Secondly, I'd like to see bandages used more. Currently they have no use over a suture (the same for hemostat really)
I'd like to see some form of septic shock, and bandages used to properly seal large open wounds, in conjunction with rubbing alcohol (which, afaik does nothing at the moment)

Thirdly, probably more use for painkillers. Plain ol' painkillers are highly superior than morphine, which causes addiction almost immediately, and severely. For that reason it's also never used, when really it should be a medical staple, normal painkillers used outside in a pinch.

And lastly, a bit of a sticking point; remove self-surgery and expand *other* forms of surgery. Alcohol surgery should not be the only method of mutilating yourself, replace medical dispensers with fallout-esque autodocs that cost money to replace limbs/organs, while having viable alternatives to missing limbs, such as wheelchairs and crutches. Less hacky, more hilarity.

I agree with all of this.
I would really sooner we do more tools and slightly more complex, hopefully documented interactions than doing a big paperdoll mockup for surgery.
Why? Because no one would want to sprite that and no one would want to code that and it would kill the entire idea in the water. That's why. Our current system works fine, it's just a little obtuse and running out of tool-intent-area variations.

EDIT: Also, being able to use a wheelchair 'cause I got my legs blown off by a pipe bomb would be fun (especially because having no legs is super not fun). Double fun if I can also mount spears or a jet engine/oxygen tank to the wheelchair. This is just asking to happen, folks!
(02-19-2017, 02:57 PM)Sundance Wrote: I agree that more surgery tools is probably the best way of going about it, and this is coming from the guy who suggested a more complex ragdoll.

If you want to stick to surgical tools, in my opinion the trick is to make an extractor tool for removal.

Keep scalpel+saw as a means of opening up an area, then use the proper extractor, intent, and hand for removal

For instance, let's say tongs are a new tool. Open the chest with scalpel and saw, then use the tongs to pull something out. 4 intents give you four organs to choose from, and using the left or right hand takes care of things like a right or left kidney/lung.

I'd advocate for cleaning up things like eye removal to be a bit more user friendly. I'd prefer you just open the head, then use a spoon for eyes, or tongs for the brain as a one tool removal process.

I think a quick and easy hemostat buff would be to use them to clamp things in place then be able to let go of them, similar to how IV bags can be placed