Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refillable/Hackable NanoMeds
One thing I really dislike about NanoMeds is that you can't top them up. If you haven't got enough silver sulfadiazine to hand and there's a massive plasma fire, you have to dig into its reserves.

Sure, you should simply solve this by synthesising common meds in advance, but what if doctors could swipe their ID to unlock the NanoMed (portable or otherwise) which would a) allow others to access its contents without ID (useful in an emergency) and b) allow you to top it up (to starting values) with the relevant supplies?

One of the bonuses of the NanoMed is that you know what you're getting is the real-deal, so I think we should keep that consistency (only the right compounds can be used to resupply with), but if you want to go a step further you could make them hackable (either via wirecutters/multitool or emagging), which could:
  • Obscure the names of its contents (e.g. "Styptic powder patch" -> "**y**i* ****e* p**c*") which would make emergency treatment much harder.
  • Hide the names of its contents entirely but keep the order/colouring the same to give people a chance to guess if they're familiar with it.
  • Shuffle the order (optionally in combination with one of the others), again making emergency treatment harder (especially in combination with name obscurity)
  • Randomise the output entirely (within the same basic groups, bottles/patches/pills)! You wanted a bottle of antihistamine? Hope this oculine helps.
  • Let you load the wrong thing into a slot (for particularly devious folks)
There's bound to be other fun ways of making it more awkward, which obviously weakens it, but by allowing it to be refilled (optionally to a certain capacity, allowing other things to be placed in it) you give it more utility.

This probably isn't so important on the anarchy non-RP server, as rounds don't go on long enough to eat into supplies, but pretty often on LLJK1 I find the NanoMeds exhausted of styptic, silver sulfadiazine, and atropine.

Thoughts?
Mechanics can already build an entirely new nanomed with a full stock.
(08-07-2016, 12:20 PM)Grek Wrote: Mechanics can already build an entirely new nanomed with a full stock.

Sure, but that just feels lame (and is crazy cheap to do, given what it gets you).
Qm ought to have some kind of "vending machine ew supply kit" they can order that you can wack various vending machines with to top them off
I'm of the opinion that there's already too much premade medicine on cogmap 2 as it is.

Chemistry really needs to have a non-destructive purpose again.
Keep in mind he's not talking about having more stuff inside the nanomed by default, he's talking about being able to refill its supplies with stuff you made from chemistry/ordered from QM. I can see it being a more useful feature for the port-a-nanomed, which is more or less a fancy rock once all the useful stuff has been exhausted.

Re: hacking the nanomed, it can already be hacked with a screwdriver and multitool/wirecutters to remove the ID lock, but maybe there could be an option for the MD/other heads to just swipe their card and un-ID lock the machine?

As for refills, maybe there could be an option to link it to the fabricator and chemmaster. Feed the fabricator metal and fabric, and it spits out blank patches and syringes/autoinjectors into the nanomed. Then have those be refilled via chems stuck inside the chemmaster, but with the chems heavily filtered so that only stuff that matches the original nanomed items will be produced (unless hacked).

Also yes mechanics needs a vending machine component already.
How about retooling the nanomed to work more with Chemistry and let them refill it?

The Nanomed would store all of its chemicals in an internal nanoreservoir. You'd renanosupply it through a machine in Chemistry and the QM's Office, or a button in the ChemDispensers to dump its contents into the Nanomed, that accepts chemicals in exchange for $$$. The Nanomed would nanoprint patches and injectors from its contents, with a quick-n-easy dial for how much chemical to put in each patch/injector.

Bonus points if it can accept and dispense rum for search and rescue missions.
(08-08-2016, 01:32 PM)Superlagg Wrote: How about retooling the nanomed to work more with Chemistry and let them refill it?

The Nanomed would store all of its chemicals in an internal nanoreservoir. You'd renanosupply it through a machine in Chemistry and the QM's Office, or a button in the ChemDispensers to dump its contents into the Nanomed, that accepts chemicals in exchange for $$$. The Nanomed would nanoprint patches and injectors from its contents, with a quick-n-easy dial for how much chemical to put in each patch/injector.

Bonus points if it can accept and dispense rum for search and rescue missions.

This would be great, especially the part where chemists and QMs get paid for it. An incentive to make beneficial chemicals in chemistry is really needed. It would be neat if other advanced medical chems could be added, like penetic acid. I also really liked the idea about letting doctors give open access to nanomeds, really damn useful in many situations.

Having said that, I really don't think the nanomed is the right place to put this. The interface is already cluttered up with chemicals as it is. It'd be really nice to have a public access medical vendor, which chemists, doctors and quartermasters could sell medical supplies to. Maybe geneticists could sell DNA injectors to raise money for research funds?
Currently chemists can make medicines and just awkwardly shove them over the pharmacy table, but like, something that let you directly dispense its contained reagents as pills/patches would be nice without having to fuck with one beaker at a time at the cost of not being able to have magic healmixes

so you could say, put a bunch of styptic/sulf/antitoxin in it and press a button and it'd shit out a bunch of patches quickly so you don't have to fumble with the chemmaster when someone is dying horribly

edit: I also support more commercialization of medicine/genetics
Personally, I like idea of just having machine with several kegs in chemistry that run lines to a tap dispensor in medbay.
(08-08-2016, 07:29 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Personally, I like idea of just having machine with several kegs in chemistry that run lines to a tap dispensor in medbay.

this seems like a very ss13 thing to do
i like it
I don't like interdependencies on goonstation. It just makes people angry. It's okay if there's a bonus effect to departments working together, but pure dependence just leads to bad vibes. It also completely kill the game on lowpop, which has a leaking effect in the toppop.

I'll agree that, in my opinion, we have too much general access med-chems. Then again I haven't really seen it be a problem. People still die a lot. Giving more ways for chem (and botany!) to 'donate' supplies would be great, though. Right now we're limited to the mail chute, which means pretty much anybody can grab it.
Maybe give botany the same kinda keg tap system but linked to the bar?
Interdependency = not as good, but function/reward for cooperation = good
(08-08-2016, 11:39 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Maybe give botany the same kinda keg tap system but linked to the bar?

All botany needs is some kinda secure belt to medical to send produce. Medical already has a seriously unused reagent extractor. It's a shame belt hell is so underused on cog 2, the medsci dock is so out of the way anything sent there will never be picked up.

Edit: never mind you were talking about bar.