Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ghost drones ideas and discussion
(06-25-2016, 11:16 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: "OOC: John Johnson: Departments should have little doggy doors that drones could go through"
"OOC: Dions: no the doggy doors is a good idea so they dont open all the doors for everyone"

Please

(06-30-2016, 07:21 AM)Sundance Wrote: It's not salty, it's shit behaviour.
Law 1 clearly states
1. Avoid interaction with any living or silicon lifeforms where possible, with the exception of other drones.
Stealing your items is interaction. It doesn't have to be any more clear than that because it should be friggin' obvious.
Adminhelp it.

Sometimes I take stuff without realizing I'm doing it; humans are invisible while being a drone so I have no idea if someone's claimed such and such object I need
Sometimes I take stuff without realizing I'm doing it; humans are invisible while being a drone so I have no idea if someone's claimed such and such object I need
[/quote]
It was very clear it was a shop and the drones stole items like a voltron or the nuke disk
(06-30-2016, 11:24 PM)grumpchkin Wrote: It was very clear it was a shop and the drones stole items like a voltron or the nuke disk

Yeah there's precious little excuse for something like that. Steel sheets gone missing? Debatable. A volton? What the hell is the drone going to do with it?
are drones on the robotics control console? they should be. any misbehaving drones should be able to be punished/locked/popped effortlessly with a complaint to the ai. theyre little disposable, easily-replaceable suckers, after all. if one is malfunctioning better to get a replacement than try to reason with it.

also they should pop into debris and motor oil when they die and drop any equipped hat theyre wearing
When you kill a drone it can come right back for the most part. Unless that's changed. Maybe bad drone's souls get disallowed or something? Or droning one off? Or on a timer? Dunno, I'm tired.

... and wait, people are supposed to be invisible? All living things are shadowy silhouettes to me.

Fundronefact: Pumping iron gives you small amounts of energy. Buns of steel, yo. Literally.
People are literally invisible to me, not even silhouettes
[Image: d5aaa49539.png]

Huh, so that must have something to do with my potato.
I get shadowy silhouettes too, as a drone.

I kind of feel people are being a little too hard on drones, at the moment. Take the shop example: how would a drone know it's a shop? You see a human with stuff that clearly should be filed away in its proper place that he isn't using, you ignore what he's saying about 'LOOT FOR SALE' because you clearly can't communicate with humans, you pick up the stuff and put it away and suddenly people are beating you up. Of course, the drone player might very well know what's going on, but at this point 'avoiding interaction' is pretty much 'a drone is doing something in my general vicinity and I don't like it'.

Like there was one round where a drone drew a little frowny face by the PTL because it was at murdery levels and half the chat was screaming for him to be jobbanned. I can see how drones crayoning stuff on the ground might set a bad precedent, but I thought it was a good way to improve the station. I kind of think the 'avoid interaction' law could be reworked to be a little less vague because right now trying to pretend the crew doesn't exist while at the same time keeping them in mind at all times to avoid anything that could possibly be construed as 'interaction' is a bit of a paradigm shift.
(07-01-2016, 03:10 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: [Image: d5aaa49539.png]

Huh, so that must have something to do with my potato.

I asked Haine about this in IRC just now and she said this is how it's supposed to be. Ghost Drones are not supposed to see humans or monkeys completely.

(07-01-2016, 02:58 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: People are literally invisible to me, not even silhouettes

Also she said if you are not seeing them at all to update byond.
(07-01-2016, 03:30 AM)Roomba Wrote: I get shadowy silhouettes too, as a drone.

I kind of feel people are being a little too hard on drones, at the moment. Take the shop example: how would a drone know it's a shop? You see a human with stuff that clearly should be filed away in its proper place that he isn't using, you ignore what he's saying about 'LOOT FOR SALE' because you clearly can't communicate with humans, you pick up the stuff and put it away and suddenly people are beating you up. Of course, the drone player might very well know what's going on, but at this point 'avoiding interaction' is pretty much 'a drone is doing something in my general vicinity and I don't like it'.

Like there was one round where a drone drew a little frowny face by the PTL because it was at murdery levels and half the chat was screaming for him to be jobbanned. I can see how drones crayoning stuff on the ground might set a bad precedent, but I thought it was a good way to improve the station. I kind of think the 'avoid interaction' law could be reworked to be a little less vague because right now trying to pretend the crew doesn't exist while at the same time keeping them in mind at all times to avoid anything that could possibly be construed as 'interaction' is a bit of a paradigm shift.

See, there's an astute difference between "beating up traitors & stealing their bombs" and "trying to do mildly helpful things that may, in some way, slightly infringe on a crewman's own abilities or affect them at all even slightly". Aggression towards bad drones is only half justified because 1. we don't know what's Bad yet, except for some really egregious examples and 2. THESE HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR ONLY A WEEK AAAAAAAAAA

Precedents have been set for every other job, yes, but they've been a part of the game for years, and drones are literally completely different from most of them if not all. Dead people, no interaction, et cetera. The rules haven't been entirely hashed out, so we shouldn't come down hard on somebody who makes a relatively understandable mistake vs. like, unscrewing and spacing the nuke in nuke ops.

EDIT: Like, absolutely fuck a drone who walls off the shuttle or something like that, because that'd be rude even for a crewman to do if they weren't a tator, much less a drone. But a frowny face? Yeesh. We can't go from "don't interfere" to "IF YOU AFFECT A CREWMAN AT ALL EVEN SLIGHTLY YOU WILL DIE" because a drone's JOB is to, by proxy, affect the crew by making neat shit for them and patching holes. Just not to cause the crew undue inconvenience in the process.

Also please don't harsh on drones for taking materials from engineering storage or something, they need that to fix the gameplay-crippling holes in the station (so far, until their RCD gets buffed)

I recognize that drones are a second chance for a ghost to play, and limiting their functionality and interaction is sensible, but not turning the role into a dangerous honeypot where you'll be banned or at least demonized for small, at-this-juncture-understandable fuckups. A lack of clarity and historical precedent is why we still HAVE these bone-ups coming from otherwise decent players!!
Nail on the head there nnystyxx.
It's really in the end smoothing out the RP for drones. Oh no! I said the dreaded word RP. But this is what it essentially is when you apply "laws" to something, the laws dictate to an upmost certainty that "this is how you act or roleplay"
and while some of the Drone shit may be obvious fringe cases of how we should perceive drones and how drones should perceive us is still be ironed out.
I essentially see drones as basically robots who don't see humans as a being, rather a separate cog in the machine. They basically know of your existence but it's not in their prerogative to care, whatsoever.
Drawing sad faces beside burning hot PTLs is good, it's labelling an area that is dangerous and is falling under law 3 as it's essentially renovation and it isn't breaking law 1 because you're not interacting in any way to the humans, its up to them how they wish to perceive it (and no, I don't see this is communicating directly either)
Walling off the PTL on the otherhand...
Drones need to STEP OFF

THIS IS MY JOB AND THESE ARE MY GALOSHES tmad
(07-01-2016, 03:30 AM)Roomba Wrote: I get shadowy silhouettes too, as a drone.

Like there was one round where a drone drew a little frowny face by the PTL because it was at murdery levels and half the chat was screaming for him to be jobbanned. I can  see how drones crayoning stuff on the ground might set a bad precedent, but I thought it was a good way to improve the station. I kind of think the 'avoid interaction' law could be reworked to be a little less vague because right now trying to pretend the crew doesn't exist while at the same time keeping them in mind at all times to avoid anything that could possibly be construed as 'interaction' is a bit of a paradigm shift.

i don't think that there's a problem with drones writing stuff with crayon since all they can do is write symbols. no letters or anything
Keep the shadowy silhouettes so that drones don't accidentally interfere in the business of someone they can't see
Your laws state to Repair and improve the station, don't they?

Drawing a frowny face next to a hazard is an improvement, not seeing the law violation