Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Changelings don't retain their powers when cloned
If you get cloned as a changeling, none of your powers work anymore. Also, a few of them disappear from the list - can't recall them offhand.
This also applies to wizards. Not sure if it's intentional or not.
The problem: Nanotrasen uses a general template for all human-like organisms in order to cut costs. Your neuro network is just copy-pasted into an OEM brain and a standardized body is grown around it. Then your skin, hair and eyes are dyed to approximate color, and your hair is cut to your choice of standard NT approved haircut.

All clones have synth brains and butts -- they're just not labeled so you can't tell.
(03-23-2016, 02:23 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: The problem: Nanotrasen uses a general template for all human-like organisms in order to cut costs. Your neuro network is just copy-pasted into an OEM brain and a standardized body is grown around it. Then your skin, hair and eyes are dyed to approximate color, and your hair is cut to your choice of standard NT approved haircut.

All clones have synth brains and butts -- they're just not labeled so you can't tell.

translation: you hate fun
(03-25-2016, 07:50 PM)VictorMAngoStein Wrote:
(03-23-2016, 02:23 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: The problem: Nanotrasen uses a general template for all human-like organisms in order to cut costs. Your neuro network is just copy-pasted into an OEM brain and a standardized body is grown around it. Then your skin, hair and eyes are dyed to approximate color, and your hair is cut to your choice of standard NT approved haircut.

translation: you hate fun
translation: you missed the joke

This is a bug, it needs fixin'. I'll refrain from indulging in witty sarcasm explaining the IC reasons for bugs as I am a very serious person who is always serious and never sarcastic or delusive at all. :downs:
A lot of people use IC explanations in a weirdly seriously way as justification to leave dumb bugs like this unfixed.
agreed this is a pretty big bug and fairly annoying cause the chances of getting cloned as a changeling or wizards are seriously low. So by some miracle you get cloned instead of getting another go at your antag round you just get a giant fuck you.
I fail to see how this is a bug, sounds like a feature to me considering that Changelings pop headspiders, and wizards lose their ~knowledge~ upon cloning.
(03-26-2016, 07:47 PM)ErikHanson Wrote: and wizards lose their ~knowledge~ upon cloning.

Wut.
I don't like it being half way. If you can clone them, then they should be full power. If you can't then you shouldn't be able to clone ('Lifeform incompatible with cloning process' or something) them.  I mean, what happens if one gets revived, then somebody revives the HS with SR? Science, HO!!

There are certainly buggy things about cloning. Like cloning somebody without a head (I think you can still do that?). Actually, I'm not sure why you even have a head after you release your headspider, because a headspider (in the movie anyways) was literally a head (that ripped itself off it's body in a wonderful show) with spidery legs poking out of it. Ugh. Now I kinda want the head to pop off in a shower of blood when a headspider is released...

Wizards are... well, honestly I'd just be happy if wizards got their beards back. One step at a time, I guess.
Pretty sure it is a bug - lings always used to come back with their full power set should someone be dumb enough to clone them, just sans DNA points. The ling's entire thing is that if you don't make sure they're deader than dead, they recover quickly and get back into the face-eating game. Heck, up until recently (haven't noticed if it was changed, since people are rarely dumb enough to do this) lings could recover from being borged. Anyone being cloned at all is an uncommon occurrence, and a ling being cloned generally means one or two things:

-someone was dumb enough to clone a known ling

-the ling died without people catching on, and someone recovered their body. Usually in this case, that means it died fairly early in the round to some other evil activity.

In either case, I see no reason to unfairly limit their abilities.
(03-26-2016, 07:21 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: agreed this is a pretty big bug and fairly annoying cause the chances of getting cloned as a changeling or wizards are seriously low. So by some miracle you get cloned instead of getting another go at your antag round you just get a giant fuck you.
This actually happens to me pretty often! My last 3 changeling rounds saw me dying, headspidering someone and either faking out the surgical team well enough to be declared "clean" or getting them to clone me "before the headspider takes over" and then gibbing myself and getting them to restore me (AKA the ling) from backup. In one particularly notable changeling round (You may recall me playing as a clownling called "The Thing"), I managed to pull a headspider escape through one of these methods off four seperate times and leave the station in the captain's body, just without DNA and without access to most of my changeling powers.
shit did this get fixed
I use this as a way to avoid permanently taking players out of the round, for example when an antag gets discovered and beaten to death minutes in, I see it as the equivalent of security confiscating traitor gear from and releasing someone.
Changelings also don't seem to be able to transform back from being borged anymore, which is a little sad because it was an amazing gotcha for anyone unfamiliar to changelings.