Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stopping Medbay Raids
Vunterslaush Wrote:
I-Sett Wrote:
DyssalC Wrote:summarized the issue perfectly
I just want to add that since those medbay dispensers were added, doctors have a near limitless supply of all manner of basic meds that are damn difficult for anyone to get at without a card. Hell, if anything, now that those dispensers are around and there are injuries more serious than a simple burn such as dismemberment or cardiac arrest, we could just put the pharmacy medkits in the lobby.
You have a point here, there really is no reason to safeguard every medkit with a dang shotgun. Meds are bountiful as there are three nano meds in med-bay,and the port-a-nano med.

Also medbay is usually the last place I head if I'm injured.

I can find a med-kit in the fitness room, security, crew-quarters and next to the pharmacy.

If anything Doctors should have more serious diseases and afflictions to keep them entertained. Waiting to use a brute patch on someone is boring.

I usually only head to med-bay if I'm missing a limb, there's a pathogen going around and I'm infected, or a dumb crazy rat bit me and I need anti psychotics.

All good and fun reasons to be a med-bay patient.
Pigbear1 Wrote:I know, Make the public med vendor be able to be hacked to make everything free, so a good engineer comes along and makes everything in em free and nobody is without treatment.

A mechanic can already scan the Nanomed, drop copies everywhere and hack them so they're not ID-locked. Most people will ignore them anyway, but it's the thought that counts.

Also most people in my experience don't head to medbay if they can help themselves, they generally go there if there's a serious issue like needing a limb attached or they need a blood transfusion/anti-rads. When that happens it's better for medkits and such to be easily available so those people who can fix themselves up can do so while the doctors deal with the rest. I've always seen that as the role of the medbay medkits, to be freely given out to the masses, because doctors have the resources of the Nanomed available to them. I generally prefer tossing them out in the main lobby so people who want medical help can grab them easily. Sure sometimes you get a dude who hogs them or tosses them all in the crusher, but that's life.
You can get like, anything you need out of Nano-Meds if supplies are running low, or you want something a bit more useful that what's in medkits. Anyways if you're running low get QM or the AI to order more, they're dirt cheap for a ton and you can stock up at the start of a shift.
I'm still all for giving security their own little medical stash for treating injured prisoners and other guests at the brig. The single medkit and epi bottle just don't cut it most of the time.
DyssalC Wrote:
BabaYaga Wrote:
I-Sett Wrote:If you're feeling obsolete as a doctor, how about instead of sitting around medbay, you go out and LOOK for dying people. Medbay is a small portion of the station, many people die in the bar, in disposals, near engineering, near the cargo office, near the market, at security, at the crew quarters. This is because when they're in crit with no meds it's unlikely they're at medbay.
This. Those paramedic suits exist for a reason. What I usually do is grab a few beakers of meds, the Port-A-NanoMed remote from the MD, some bandages and a blood bag. Announce that I'm on call if anyone needs help and start patrolling busy parts of the station. It's always great fun and more medical docs should do it.
One cool and good smart thing you can do as a medical director is head to robotics and start making a medibuddy and in case of wizard you can sometimes chose to throw in a securitron.

Drag the medibuddy to the front of medbay so that dying people can get stablized fast.
atomic1fire Wrote:One cool and good smart thing you can do as a medical director is head to robotics and start making a medibuddy and in case of wizard you can sometimes chose to throw in a securitron.

Drag the medibuddy to the front of medbay so that dying people can get stablized fast.

That is a pretty good idea, though usually a wraith will usually end up making the little dudes kill you.
Vunterslaush Wrote:
atomic1fire Wrote:One cool and good smart thing you can do as a medical director is head to robotics and start making a medibuddy and in case of wizard you can sometimes chose to throw in a securitron.

That is a pretty good idea, though usually a wraith will usually end up making the little dudes kill you.
Yeah, I personally have an inherent distrust of medbots for this exact reason.
What if Medical docters are given the ablility to heal people more efficently(less patches are needed to heal someone)/increase max health by 10% of the damaged healed
and have it so when a non-medical docter heals themself/someone else the target loses 10% Of their max health based of the damage that was healed.

This way there is a reason to have a medical docter while making it so if a assistant wants to heal themself it doesn't really effect them.

EX-If an assistant fights a clown and loses 100 health, he can either go to a medical center and buy 1000 credit medical care and gain 100 health back + 10 max health health or go to the Gheato medical center that just so happens to be run by the clown who attacked him for 100 dollors but lose 10 max health

This way everyone is happy while adding a rather comedic situations like the one i stated in my example
pizzatiger Wrote:What if Medical docters are given the ablility to heal people more efficently(less patches are needed to heal someone)/increase max health by 10% of the damaged healed
and have it so when a non-medical docter heals themself/someone else the target loses 10% Of their max health based of the damage that was healed.

This way there is a reason to have a medical docter while making it so if a assistant wants to heal themself it doesn't really effect them.

EX-If an assistant fights a clown and loses 100 health, he can either go to a medical center and buy 1000 credit medical care and gain 100 health back + 10 max health health or go to the Gheato medical center that just so happens to be run by the clown who attacked him for 100 dollors but lose 10 max health

This way everyone is happy while adding a rather comedic situations like the one i stated in my example
Honestly I don't think this is an idea that needs modifying or suggesting, I just think this thread's premise is a bad idea.
DyssalC Wrote:Honestly I don't think this is an idea that needs modifying or suggesting, I just think this thread's premise is a bad idea.
Pretty much, yeah.

Medbay "raids" are almost exclusively undertaken by injured people who either can't find a closer medkit, need something more specific, are dealingg with a hollow and empty medbay, or just feel like being proactive and self-sufficient. No medbay team is ever going to be able to fully deal with the tidal wave of blood and laser burns, and holding a monopoly on the ability to slap patches on people is shit and actually causes a net loss when compared to the minimal advantages it brings.

Just because you're a Medical Doctor doesn't mean you're one of the only people allowed to use the medical supplies; it just means that you're the go-to person and can typically be trusted to know what you're doing. Non-Geneticists use the cloner, non-Roboticists borg people, non-Security people get deputized, non-Barmen serve drinks. And when you take into account the typical demand for medkits and their inherent harmlessness, you're not being helpful by locking them up and hiding them. You're being an obstinate jerk.
Two points to this thread:

1) Doctors should have more functionality. This must be hard-coded by more ailments, or a doctor must be proactive. Having medicine readily available for patients is actually far far better to do than hiding it. I set up a little work space in medbay lobby for this very reason. Most people just go to medbay for 1-2 brute/burn stamps and away they go. Having that out on a table without the box allows people to grab it immedietely. Keep the supply up, and lo and behold: PEOPLE STOP RAIDING

2) I personally think there should be LESS medical stuff about. Currently there's 3 medpaks in sec/bridge, 2 in crew quarters, several in emergency storage beside the bar, burn meds in engineering, burn and tox meds in science and probably more that i'm forgetting (oh also oxygen meds in oxygen crates)

Personally I think there should be instead:
2x medpak in security (because shit, sometimes arresting prisoners causes them to be pretty beat up)
A pill container of anti-tox pills in science containing 30u pills
1 burn medpak in engineering

And the rest should be replaced with "emergency aid" packs which contain:
1x burn damage
1x brute damage
1x painkiller
1x epi
1x saline-glucose pill.
1x bandage

This way, the emergency aid kits are build for keeping you sustained, but not completely cured unlike as of now.. From there, you'll need to go to the emergency dispensing machine and PAY money, or go to medbay and get yourself sorted.
The problem with medbay is that everything is simple to fix but most of the cures are stored in medbay. Few med doctors care to help because most people insist on helping themselves. So we need more complex med problems and a community without a solo mindset.
How about a mini first aid kit that spawns on each player at round start in their box. It would contain a bandage, mini brute and burn patch, one charcoal pill, and a salicylic acid pill. I think this might leave less of a need to bust into medbay and go blue light special on it. Please let me know if this is a terrible idea.
Quote:How about a mini first aid kit that spawns on each player at round start in their box. It would contain a bandage, mini brute and burn patch, one charcoal pill, and a salicylic acid pill. I think this might leave less of a need to bust into medbay and go blue light special on it. Please let me know if this is a terrible idea.

I can see where you're coming from but that would kind of intrude on the whole nature of medical emergencies.

Current Scenario:
You're pretty damaged, and your heart is fudged. Grab that medpak that you know that's nearby, struggle to get to it: Slap on 2 brute paks, epi-pen yourself, and unless you are missing a limb or two: You are cured!

Proposed Scenario:
You're pretty damaged, and your heart is fudged. Grab that emergency medpak that you know that's nearby, struggle to get to it: Slap on 1 brute pak, epi-pen yourself. Oh shit you are still pretty damn messed up, take that painkiller and get to a medical dispenser/doctor asap!

The scenario you proposed:
You're pretty damaged and your heart is fudged. Take all the medicine you have on you which you did not struggle at all to get to, then get more meds somewhere else.

You see where i'm coming from? The struggle to get meds is exciting, having it on you at roundstart removes that.