Goonstation Forums
Stopping Medbay Raids - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Stopping Medbay Raids (/showthread.php?tid=4329)

Pages: 1 2 3

Stopping Medbay Raids - BabaYaga - 03-09-2015

At the moment, the drill is that you would run into medbay, steal a relevant medkit, patch yourself up, throw it on the ground, and run away. This makes it difficult for Medical Doctors to do their job and makes their job mostly obsolete, except for acting as a middleman between a patient and the NanoMed machines in certain severe cases.

I think that, in the same way that people may no longer raid security for no reason other than to have fancy gear, crewmembers should be restricted from raiding Medbay for the medkits. This can either be done by making the medkits less accessible and/or punishing offenders. After all, there are already workplace-medkits scattered around the station that you can patch yourself up with. The Medbay should be run by the doctors as they perform surgeries and examinations. This makes playing as a doctor much more exciting, which is what I have heard from some peers.

Some people are going to complain that for three doctors to treat 10 burn victims after a plasma fire is stupidly inefficient, but this is how it works in real life. It promotes the idea of triage.

Some of you may have seen me playing as a medical doctor recently, going through the full medical protocols and procedures, such as recovery after surgery, examinations in the observations room, calling patient information over the radio, and I see that people do enjoy it. Some other doctors have actually tagged along with my little gimmick and assisted me in running an efficient clinic while others comment on the extra bit of roleplay in the Medbay.

I don't see a downside to making medkits less accessible, unless there is no doctors on staff to treat you, but we have the same problem if there is no security on staff, or no engineers on staff.

Re: Stopping Medbay Raids - I-Sett - 03-09-2015

They're locked behind two cardlocked doors. And lets face it, there aren't always competent doctors on board and half the time the few remaining in medbay are braindead. If you want to make medical kits more secure it seems like the kind of thing that you can roleplay in a round rather than locking them up in some sort of medical armory, it's not like they're some horrible rampage item.

Re: Stopping Medbay Raids - Paineframe - 03-09-2015

Medkits are already sealed away in the pharmacy, a relatively inaccessible part of Medbay (for people without access, anyway). Most thievery happens to the reserve tanks these days anyway; although they're behind even more Medbay-only doors, most of them are the glass sliding doors that somebody with access always throws open for the hordes when you're not looking.

Re: Stopping Medbay Raids - BabaYaga - 03-09-2015

I-Sett Wrote:They're locked behind two cardlocked doors. And lets face it, there aren't always competent doctors on board and half the time the few remaining in medbay are braindead. If you want to make medical kits more secure it seems like the kind of thing that you can roleplay in a round rather than locking them up in some sort of medical armory, it's not like they're some horrible rampage item.

I've actually started doing this every shift I play as a doctor. I just pack up every medkit into one of those crates and hide them in the break room.

Re: Stopping Medbay Raids - Frank_Stein - 03-09-2015

If doctors don't want the pharmacy raided then they should make a greater effort to actually treat people who head to medbay.

I've had doctors ignore me being in crit outside then get mad when I have to break in. Do your dang job. You're a doctor not a geneticist

Re: Stopping Medbay Raids - atomic1fire - 03-09-2015

Also, if you don't want people breaking into medbay then you probably shouldn't be breaking into chemistry, robotics, or genetics. Actually add mechanics to that list too.

I'll open up med-bay out of spite if I catch a doctor breaking into my current job of choice. If they want free access, guess they won't mind free access to pharmacy either.

Re: Stopping Medbay Raids - DyssalC - 03-09-2015

BabaYaga Wrote:
I-Sett Wrote:They're locked behind two cardlocked doors. And lets face it, there aren't always competent doctors on board and half the time the few remaining in medbay are braindead. If you want to make medical kits more secure it seems like the kind of thing that you can roleplay in a round rather than locking them up in some sort of medical armory, it's not like they're some horrible rampage item.

I've actually started doing this every shift I play as a doctor. I just pack up every medkit into one of those crates and hide them in the break room.
That's a bad thing.

There is rarely EVER a competent medical staff. Oh, but you say you're one? Okay. One. One competent doctor. For a station that averages roughly 30 people.
Okay, so what are people supposed to do when they have no meds because everybody snatched the public ones and you're hiding the medbay ones and they're in crit? Wait outside medbay for you to let them in and start treating them? Ya I'm sure that'll go great for them.

What about when medbay is blown up (a frequent occurence), along with every medkit that used to be in there because they were hoarded inside of a room inaccessible to most crew when the explosion happened? Oh, I guess they're all gone then.

If you're feeling obsolete as a doctor, how about instead of sitting around medbay, you go out and LOOK for dying people. Medbay is a small portion of the station, many people die in the bar, in disposals, near engineering, near the cargo office, near the market, at security, at the crew quarters. This is because when they're in crit with no meds it's unlikely they're at medbay.

Re: Stopping Medbay Raids - APARTHEID - 03-09-2015

Might as well seal off Emergency Storage and confiscate those medkits before anyone unauthorized comes along to swipe 'em all up! :nallears:

Re: Stopping Medbay Raids - Zafhset - 03-09-2015

I frequently play a medical role, and I can safely say that not only is a single doctor treating multiple patients inefficient, it's also highly frustrating when several people are screaming bloody help in your ears simultaneously while you're focused on treating the most serious of cases.

Personally, I play it as more of a "help those who can't/won't make it by themselves" kind of role - if they have access and are more than capable at self-treatment, they're more than welcome to do it.

Re: Stopping Medbay Raids - I-Sett - 03-09-2015

DyssalC Wrote:summarized the issue perfectly
I just want to add that since those medbay dispensers were added, doctors have a near limitless supply of all manner of basic meds that are damn difficult for anyone to get at without a card. Hell, if anything, now that those dispensers are around and there are injuries more serious than a simple burn such as dismemberment or cardiac arrest, we could just put the pharmacy medkits in the lobby.

Re: Stopping Medbay Raids - Vunterslaush - 03-09-2015

I-Sett Wrote:
DyssalC Wrote:summarized the issue perfectly
I just want to add that since those medbay dispensers were added, doctors have a near limitless supply of all manner of basic meds that are damn difficult for anyone to get at without a card. Hell, if anything, now that those dispensers are around and there are injuries more serious than a simple burn such as dismemberment or cardiac arrest, we could just put the pharmacy medkits in the lobby.
You have a point here, there really is no reason to safeguard every medkit with a dang shotgun. Meds are bountiful as there are three nano meds in medbay,and the port-a-nano med.

Re: Stopping Medbay Raids - APARTHEID - 03-09-2015

Use the public med vendors you cheapskates!

APARTHEID Wrote:Use the public med vendors you cheapskates!
Clowns don't start with cash and can't access their bank account without assistance. That's not an option for them.

Which is especially punishing since they can injure themselves into orange really quickly from tripping over their shoes.

Re: Stopping Medbay Raids - Pigbear1 - 03-09-2015

I know, Make the public med vendor be able to be hacked to make everything free, so a good engineer comes along and makes everything in em free and nobody is without treatment.