Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Make Vomiting more Debilitating and Visceral
Wink 
It annoys me how vomiting, a horrible thing irl, is such a nothing burger in game.
A splash noise plays, a vomit puddle appears and thats it.
In Goon, vomiting is so common and irrellevant that it usually gets even ignored in rp.
People just have a conversation, someone vomits, noone acknowledges it.

I want this to change.
Here is how I think vomiting should be made "special":

• Vomiting gets a new, more visceral sound
  • Vomiting forces you to stand still for a second
  • Vomiting cuts you off while talking (like when youre in a cryo tube).
  • After vomiting, you gain a "just vomited" affliction for a minute, that severly decreases your stamina, causes every sentence to end with '...' (like a zombie), but also prevents you from vomiting again in this minute timeframe to avoid getting stunlocked by infinite barf.
  • Additionally, you should vomit one tile in front of you with the ability to stain others in your puke for comedic effect, unless there is no free tile in front of you or you are wearing a mouth-covering headpiece, in which case you vomit onto your own tile and stain yourself.
  • Finally, vomiting should be rarer. Characters afflicted by vomiting-inducing afflictions shouldn't immedially vomit whenever they can and all the time. The "just vomited" affliction giving you a 1 minute grace period before you can vomit again is good, but I also believe that certain vomit-inducing chems like bitterers should be nerfed.

So, long story short:
Vomiting should have a notable physical impact on the player, make the player visibly sick and overall be more visceral, but also much rarer.
That way, it turns from something usually ignored by everyone who isn't a janitor into something much more real.
idk about more realistic sounds, i'm fine with forcing you to stand still for 0.5s

could be a pretty easy stun with how many things make you vomit tho
As someone who has a specific problem with their stomach.
DO NOT MAKE THE SOUND REALISTIC!! It will set me off to high hell.

I can't even play source games when the "choking" sound is heard as it sets me off.

I am fine with Stamina loss, stunning and such. That just makes sense!
(10-10-2024, 11:59 PM)ZeWaka Wrote: idk about more realistic sounds, i'm fine with forcing you to stand still for 0.5s

could be a pretty easy stun with how many things make you vomit tho

Honestly the vomit sounds that flys make would be an upgrade.
And when it comes to the stun - I really want vomiting to be rarer.
Right now, you are pretty much guaranteed to vomit like 3 times every round - thats insane!
It would be fine to make vomiting much more debilitating if it was much harder to vomit to begin with.
idc about the balance side but please don't make vomit more graphic/realistic, I agree w/ kotlol, games like that make me feel queasy
Also a sympathetic puker. Absolutely no retching sounds in game please.
I have absolutely zero personal concerns about vomiting so let me talk about the other side of things as we've got good coverage for that aspect in the discussion and I agree let's not make people feel ill playing funny space game. Instead, what does vomiting do for game flow.

The basic vomit premise we have right now has always very, very mildly rankled me. It's far less obtrusive a partner of the Four Janitorial Horsemen of the Dirtpocalypse (Blood, Flood, Clutter and vomit I'd argue vomit is weirdly in a race for last place between it and clutter, wheras blood and floods of liquids tend to take the top spot) RP wise for what's a pretty unpleasant thing. However, it's afflicted quite a few different ways which makes it pretty common to see. Thus, it also serves a purpose to make mess for janitors, give medical doctors some kind of basic tell things are wrong etc. It is another sign of a station in decay and reminds me of playing Theme hospital when you've begun to have it all go horribly wrong and all your hallways are full of people being sick, rats and the dead.

So it's doing a lot of gruntwork and I'm personally leery of touching that too much, but I also agree that its one area of suspension of normalcy required to play the funny space game kind of, again quite mildly, annoy me. Ideally, there's some kind of new middle ground out here where you make vomiting more of a rare, unpleasant event (without sound, just as a physiological thing) but you preserve the legwork vomiting does for the station's flow of work. I have no idea what that is but in the mean time I wouldn't want to really change this up without something really neat to replace it with. I do think the basic premise that how vomiting works is kind of weird from an RP perspective is true, but I guess I'm stuck kind of shrugging this one off.
Have different types of vomiting. Like just puking on the ground up to projectile vomiting tiles away. Hell add a SUPER ipecac that makes you pressure hose vomit like that scene in Scary Movie 2.
Making vomit more realistic and yucky would just make me uncomfortable and making vomit stun or cause someone to be unable to move could open a host of balancing issues. Maybe just make it so vomiting gives you the same slowdown that getting punched does? Would make vomiting less of something you barely notice
(10-11-2024, 11:36 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: Have different types of vomiting. Like just puking on the ground up to projectile vomiting tiles away. Hell add a SUPER ipecac that makes you pressure hose vomit like that scene in Scary Movie 2.

There is a vomit poison that was recently added that I wish made people involentarily shoot vomit projectiles that make others puke when hit, but sadly thats not the case
Let's not do realistic vomiting, it will turn off people who quite understandably don't enjoy that element of real life.
vomiting interrupting speech sounds funny though. I'm gonna add that
Vomit needs to interact with chem more. You should be able to puke up a certain amount of whatevers in your bloodstream (maybe a certain chem could make it so whatver's in your bloodstream is released in higher quantities)

It should pool up like a liquid, vs the current static puddle that is spawned and doesn't go away even if you scoop it up
We oughta have barf bags or something. Carry it in hand and automatically puke in the bag instead of on the floor. Maybe even muffle the sound a bit

Stick them in arrivals, in the escape shuttle, maybe medbay and bar.
that's a good idea, have them take a couple uses before they either become full or burst.