Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mildly Mutated changes
worst case, you die and get cloned/borged.
(07-10-2024, 02:23 PM)kakolookiyam Wrote: With plasmalung you at least start with a tank, and its trivial to tide another tank.

If you spawn with radioactive and you're on a round with no geneticists or new geneticists, its a death sentence from the start of the round. Normal medbay staff will at best be able to keep him stable, and then pray that theres a HoP, Captain, or Medical Director (quite possible in classic during low pop) because otherwise they'll be in medbay the whole round.

I guess there is a sort of analogue to this, rolling anti-histamine with the anti-allergy trait, but I don't think thats a particularly fun trait interaction either.

I mean, if it was literally every round I'd agree like plasma lung. But it's not going to be every round, one reason people would take this, and I would guess the main reason is that a lot of the time it is NOT a bad one, a lot of the time it is a rather good one, but the key point is that unlike plasma lung which is going to be a thing every round its taken this isn't. 

When it is that, it is not going to be every round where there is no genetics department, no medbay department, no AI who isn't capable of helping. I would guess that a lot of the time this will NOT happen.

Then as the backstop, there's borging cloning, sometimes there may not be doctors or robotics either (especially as we're assuming this is the case for the above). At this point I concede you are in a spot of bother.

So in a round where you not only got a life-threatening mutation, also nobody who can help with it, also nobody who can even clone or borg you at this point I, and I admit this is a personal philosophy: Would frankly see this is as a hilarious hint that I was simply not supposed to survive this round. That is just my view and not to dismiss that other people might see this as frustrating.
I think this would be a good change, it never feels great to go to medical and just...instantly ask for mutadone. It feels bad but honestly, I just can't stand accent mutations, certain visual modifiers etc. Also, you already run the risk of stuff you can't remove with mutadone, I have been monkey and lizard as my skeleton character...so many times. It is a risk I run and know can happen while taking it! I don't interact with genetics much and more reason to couldn't hurt much IMO. If people are ooc grumping you because of a cooldown or something then Ahelp them. Not cool and not something that needs to be modulated by game mechanics.

What I would love to see personally alongside this is more genetic traits that let you pick more flavor things, I would love to have crystal snaps and stuff like that for example.

An option for people who don't want to roll the high-stakes lottery would be cool and honestly I do feel like the fact it can be removed at all kind of spits in the face of the spirit of the trait.

I don't think wanting to just not have a bad mutation that makes the play experience worse like constant ringing noises is powergaming but I do think picking the trait just because you want to roll the dice at having an extremely powerful mutation because it is easy to get rid of stuff you can roll like a cough and stuff kind of is. There should be more permanence to it IMO. You should be picking it because you want a varied experience that mixes stuff up. That is how I look at it anyway.

I think the suggested change would make the trait fit in with the spirit of the trait more than it currently does. As for other stuff I feel like more traits that give you mild/ flavor mutations could be nice. I don't do genetics though so I am sure there are some problems with that like power gaming some mutation combos and stuff like that.
good change. now even the powergamers are going to want to cram themselves into genetics and provide some more value for genelab rather than just slurping up mutadone.
they're already in a gene editor, why not take a few extra things :^)
My only concern right now is if someone gets mutagenic field or EMP and refuses to go get it removed, they could cause a lot of trouble for others and the station but like.. I'd hope security would deal with their ass and drag them to genetics
(07-11-2024, 06:14 AM)Soleil Wrote: My only concern right now is if someone gets mutagenic field or EMP and refuses to go get it removed, they could cause a lot of trouble for others and the station but like.. I'd hope security would deal with their ass and drag them to genetics

I've just realised this whole thing is essentially X-Men.
Yeah basically. A few people I asked for opinions said a blacklist for mutagenic and EMP could be important due to the massive amount of grief and emagging they can cause, but I'll leave that for Jan and co. to decide.
I don't think the accessible version of mutagenic field even affects other people anymore iirc? Wasn't that moved to the admin-only version?
Mutagenic Field needs to have the description updated on the wiki. It only adds mutations to the person with the gene. (Probably not the best name for the gene, lol.)
(07-10-2024, 01:56 PM)Zamujasa Wrote: known issue and it's being worked on at the moment; ideally they would not get (disruptive) traits at all

maybe the same treatment for wizards and salvagers, then?
(07-11-2024, 12:06 PM)crunchwarp Wrote:
(07-10-2024, 01:56 PM)Zamujasa Wrote: known issue and it's being worked on at the moment; ideally they would not get (disruptive) traits at all

maybe the same treatment for wizards and salvagers, then?
Azrun got salvagers for a PR last month I think
(07-11-2024, 08:04 AM)jan.antilles Wrote: Mutagenic Field needs to have the description updated on the wiki. It only adds mutations to the person with the gene. (Probably not the best name for the gene, lol.)

What happened to mutagenic field is kinda sad, imo.

On topic, i can see it working with the changes done in the PR. It being a +1 is a worthwhile tradeoff.
Big agree on more negative traits being added. People who take a +1 one trait should've be able to just disable it, that's the point for picking it. If you don't like it, don't pick it. Personally speaking, I'd almost prefer splitting this into two traits. One that costs -1 that gives you good traits, and one that gives +1 that gives you undesirable traits.
(07-12-2024, 11:27 AM)Glamurio Wrote: Big agree on more negative traits being added. People who take a +1 one trait should've be able to just disable it, that's the point for picking it. If you don't like it, don't pick it. Personally speaking, I'd almost prefer splitting this into two traits. One that costs -1 that gives you good traits, and one that gives +1 that gives you undesirable traits.

Just as an information, the PR making the gene reinforced changes the trait from a 0 to a +1 as well.
Assuming that this is where we're leaving feedback about the PR, my only thought is that I think it should be a 0 trait instead of a +1. There's a chance that something good happens to you, and there's a chance that something bad happens to you. Everything else seems fine.