Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Medical Director Item Suggestion: Jaws of Life
This would be an item that would start in the MD's locker. If used on a door it would slowly force it open, if the door is bolted, it would take longer, or if welded, and even if both, still work.

This would be for those moments MD's need to try to rescue someone but cannot get in there, or get permission, or to give to a med doctor to do the same.

further, it could be used for crime.

Additionally could have a Jaws of Death for traitors, which looks like the jaws of life, and works(a little faster) the same, but if used on someone with grab would catch THEM in it, and work like a fiber wire only dealing brute damage and bleed, gibbing them if used on the body again(with a little time)

Just an idea~ I've noticed one of the biggest problems for med is getting into places when they don't have help.
I would allow this if the Jaws of Life can only be used for 1 door and stay there and if its removed the door closes again.

This way it won't be abused to open every bolted door when the AI starts bolting doors on traitors.
Making it a valuable resource.
Personaly, i think heads gear is quite overloaded as is. Beyond that, their main use can be achieved faster with a screwdriver, multitool and a wirecutter. That's why i could see two of these be added to the medical storage. No reason really to make them MD-only.

Make them loud and you got enough abuse protection because everyone and their mother would hear the door being opened.

And they are an effective counter against validhunting or rogue AI's bolting people in. Both things that certainly can need some more counters.

(06-06-2023, 02:28 AM)Kotlol Wrote: I would allow this if the Jaws of Life can only be used for 1 door and stay there and if its removed the door closes again.

And at best make it crush people that are in the door while it closes again because of the snapback. I like the thought.
A counter to ai was one of my first thoughts
I'm guessing this is targeted at RP since most of the time MD wouldn't have tools or something? because again as stated earlier in this post Tools can just deal with this better. And may I ask why the MD deserves this more than CE. If the CE got this I would still be against it but it would make a bit more sense. The only reason I see this being suggested is because I'm guessing on RP MD doesn't get tools very often. and at the point of this being useful surely getting tools as the MD wouldn't be to out the question?

I don't know it just seems like a silly idea and I don't see it needed. the idea just allows someone to neglect hacking or welding and seems kind of like a cop out.

and as a extra, the MD isn't a paramedic. they are the head of their department and in most situations should be within their department dealing with other doctors and with home land issues.

extra extra point, this again adds to one of the issues I have with the current state, that being the extreme lack of inter-departmental cohesion. There's pretty much no sort of use for one department for another, adding this would further this issue by allowing doctors to bypass the need to ask for a engineer to hack a door open or unweld it or to get someone with access to help. Idk, I personally don't have these issues since I don't play RP but it just something that pops to mind.
When emagged it should be able to open up a spaceman's chest so you can remove his heart with but a click.
(06-06-2023, 08:33 AM)Frolicsome Flufficorn Wrote: I'm guessing this is targeted at RP since most of the time MD wouldn't have tools or something? because again as stated earlier in this post Tools can just deal with this better. And may I ask why the MD deserves this more than CE. If the CE got this I would still be against it but it would make a bit more sense. The only reason I see this being suggested is because I'm guessing on RP MD doesn't get tools very often. and at the point of this being useful surely getting tools as the MD wouldn't be to out the question?

I don't know it just seems like a silly idea and I don't see it needed. the idea just allows someone to neglect hacking or welding and seems kind of like a cop out.

and as a extra, the MD isn't a paramedic. they are the head of their department and in most situations should be within their department dealing with other doctors and with home land issues.

extra extra point, this again adds to one of the issues I have with the current state, that being the extreme lack of inter-departmental cohesion. There's pretty much no sort of use for one department for another, adding this would further this issue by allowing doctors to bypass the need to ask for a engineer to hack a door open or unweld it or to get someone with access to help. Idk, I personally don't have these issues since I don't play RP but it just something that pops to mind.

The thing is, the effect is slightly different. An AI can make a door unopenable by bolting it and depowering the apc powering it. This will be an opt out.

Secondly, interdepartmental cohesion is ok when you need to get your department sourced 30 min into the shift or need chems ir a new cloner. Stuff that isnt immediate. This does not apply to a person dying and you being a door away.

What i agree with is the MD not being a paramedic. This is ehy i think normal doctors can really benefit to access to this item.
(06-06-2023, 12:43 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: The thing is, the effect is slightly different. An AI can make a door unopenable by bolting it and depowering the apc powering it. This will be an opt out.

Tbh While this should be the case its actually not true. If you know the Power wires and cut them and uncut them and then pulse the bolt wire even if its depowered you can open the door then crowbar it. Just thought I would clear up that.
Eh. I think the base idea is neat, being able to open any door, but absolutely not to being able to open bolted or welded doors. That'd be incredibly OP. Plus mdir already has a lot of toys, I don't think it'd be fitting for them.
It's hardly a normal intuitive thing to do and undo something to get it to work right and honestly sounds more like a coding than 'as intended' thing
(06-06-2023, 03:21 PM)Sord213 Wrote: Eh. I think the base idea is neat, being able to open any door, but absolutely not to being able to open bolted or welded doors. That'd be incredibly OP. Plus mdir already has a lot of toys, I don't think it'd be fitting for them.

The idea is to go with bolted and welded doors... but making it single use only. As in once it's in the door.. you cannot use it again without removing it and resetting it.
Ze whole point is it's a tool that's OP but used once.

Actual "Jaws of Life" Rips doors appart but we don't want that.

But I'd think bolted should be the MINIMAL, but the bolted door status just makes it take longer to open.
Welding may have a chance of breaking or no?

Anyway... one use then it has to "repressurize" So it cannot be used in a row. And has to stay in the door to keep it open and pulled out to recharge.
that's what i see it.
Balance-wise, i want to add that an RCD is more effective at opening bolted/welded doors.

This item would fit between the RCD, which every engineering cyborg got access to and is rare otherwise, and normal tools, which are very frequent on the station.

This will almost certainly shift the balance somewhat.
An upgrade/mode for the welding torch wouldn't be bad that eats a ton of fuel but can cut bolts.
(06-06-2023, 03:39 PM)Kotlol Wrote:
(06-06-2023, 03:21 PM)Sord213 Wrote: Eh. I think the base idea is neat, being able to open any door, but absolutely not to being able to open bolted or welded doors. That'd be incredibly OP. Plus mdir already has a lot of toys, I don't think it'd be fitting for them.

The idea is to go with bolted and welded doors... but making it single use only. As in once it's in the door.. you cannot use it again without removing it and resetting it.
Ze whole point is it's a tool that's OP but used once.

Actual "Jaws of Life" Rips doors appart but we don't want that.

But I'd think bolted should be the MINIMAL, but the bolted door status just makes it take longer to open.
Welding may have a chance of breaking or no?

Anyway... one use then it has to "repressurize" So it cannot be used in a row. And has to stay in the door to keep it open and pulled out to recharge.
that's what i see it.

I generally like the idea of this whole concept, but I feel like if we're limiting it to only open bolted or welded doors once... then it really serves very little purpose. If it's main use is to save someone or to deal with a rogue AI, most AI uploads (if not all) usually have double if not triple-bolted doors. What's the point in breaking open the first door and getting stuck on the second one?

Idea is cool, as stated, but if all it does is a quick "get into unbolted door" button and bolted doors seem too strong, then I don't think it's worth the effort of being coded. Personally, I don't think it'd be too strong if it could get re-used on bolted doors, so long as there's a bit of a cooldown, and it's loud as hell. Since there's only one on the entire station, and all.
(06-06-2023, 09:43 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: When emagged it should be able to open up a spaceman's chest so you can remove his heart with but a click.

I really like that haha

I had the idea of it slowly forcing any door open. Welded or bolted as well . just slower. Iits not meant to just be an anti rogue item but it could help.

An "evil" version could be an md only one and it could be a 1 or 2 in med supply locker?

Could add to security?