Complaint I really think the standards for "bigoted language" are silly
Sad 
Admin: Flourish

Server: Classic, I don't remember which one
Date + time: 9/25/2022, A little before 1:50 pm, eastern time
Synopsis: Pretty much every example on the wiki, I get, except for "bitch." When I slipped and typed whore a few times I understood that warning, me and my friends call eachother that as a goof, it's become a more casual word for me, and I can see it not being acceptable here.
But I've now been reprimanded multiple times by two admins and given an hour ban for "bitch" and I just...don't see how that's a universally bigoted thing to say, it's such a light cuss compared to the various slurs presented on the wiki. How is that significantly worse than dick or ass? I can see some contexts where that can be used misogynistically, but I'm not disparaging women, I use it interchangeably with something like asshole because it's quicker to type. The use that got me banned wasn't even at a player, I was yelling at a beepsky for arresting people randomly.
I'm not trying to cause trouble, these servers are great and as a trans woman I'm glad admins are so attentive to fighting bigotry, but as long as feedback is open, I really feel like this is a word where context matters more.
I'm not flourish, and Flourish will likely make her own response, but:

[Image: unknown.png]

"Bitch" is unambiguously a slur with hundreds of years of history as a slur against women, or against men by associating them with women.

We recognize that it is not as as bad as other slurs. Like "whore", "slut", etc., a lot of women have reclaimed the use of these words as playful affects used amongst one another. However, for the sake of both consistency and also just to, in general, reduce the general level of toxicity on the server, we do not allow you to call people "bitch".

After all, we cannot truly know if the usage was playful or derogatory, and in the end there's no real need to use the word on our servers to begin with. We generally give a lot of warnings and general leeway (an hour ban is, in essence, a severe warning in the eyes of the administration) because we recognize that this is a stricter stance than most places take.

There will be some adjustment pains, but on a more personal note, I think that "Bitch" will eventually fall the way of "retarded", where a very common and "light" cuss will gradually be recognized as not all that cool to say, and it'll be less unusual with time.
(09-25-2022, 10:24 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: I'm not flourish, and Flourish will likely make her own response, but:

"Bitch" is unambiguously a slur with hundreds of years of history as a slur against women, or against men by associating them with women.

We recognize that it is not as as bad as other slurs. Like "whore", "slut", etc., a lot of women have reclaimed the use of these words as playful affects used amongst one another. However, for the sake of both consistency and also just to, in general, reduce the general level of toxicity on the server, we do not allow you to call people "bitch".

After all, we cannot truly know if the usage was playful or derogatory, and in the end there's no real need to use the word on our servers to begin with. We generally give a lot of warnings and general leeway (an hour ban is, in essence, a severe warning in the eyes of the administration) because we recognize that this is a stricter stance than most places take.

There will be some adjustment pains, but on a more personal note, I think that "Bitch" will eventually fall the way of "retarded", where a very common and "light" cuss will gradually be recognized as not all that cool to say, and it'll be less unusual with time.

I guess you're probably right, it is at least good to know the most important part of the ruling is consistency
I definitely don't want this to come off as a critcism of Flourish, clearly they were paying close attention to chat, gave me fair leeway, and enforced the rule, it's the rule itself I wanted to put out my opinion on, seeing this section existed. Thank you for leveling with me on the issue,  and I'll try to do better