Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.06 Average
Tone down farting
(09-22-2022, 06:19 AM)Cal Wrote: yeah farts are pretty boring at this point and the jokes when you do them are so ancient. should have regular emote cooldown tbh. if you wanna be nice you can make it make as much gas as however many farts you'd make in that time normally for the engineer mains

Or.. we can make it like peeing. You have x-amount of gas from the start but then need to eat to get more gas.
The spicier the food, the more potent the gas and more you have.

Though I can see chefs being harrased by hellburn engineers to make spicy food or food that gives more gas.
And a cooldown on top of it ain't bad.

Though I do think something like chips from the vending machine will give you atleast 100 farts.

But spicy food just makes it way more potent.

>_> <_< Maybe some more silent killer farts?

EDIT: The problem remains that FARTING isn't just "AN EMOTE"
It's a game play mechanic that some departments and maybe even antagonists use.
While annoying we do kinda need to balance it out as a mechanic then straight up remove it.
The problem is when you start viewing this with a veteran point of view. Of course some of us have played this game for years and it starts getting quite boring after a while, but for a new player its really funny. Silly things like fart are what makes Goon the goofy place we all know and love. Nothing stops you from lowering your volume if it annoys you that much, or play a few rounds of RP where people spamming farts is much less frequent. It seems like another unnecessary fun thing to nerf.
This is the farty 2D spaceman game. You can't just remove farts
(09-22-2022, 10:04 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: This is the farty 2D spaceman game. You can't just remove farts

Would be a fun april fools day joke though.
if you really want to stop people from farting, start sneaking simethicone into food/drinks/medicine
I remember talk of an emote volume option for things like farting and burping being tossed around a while ago, did that ever get implemented?
(09-22-2022, 08:13 AM)alexandregtg Wrote: The problem is when you start viewing this with a veteran point of view. Of course some of us have played this game for years and it starts getting quite boring after a while, but for a new player its really funny. Silly things like fart are what makes Goon the goofy place we all know and love. Nothing stops you from lowering your volume if it annoys you that much, or play a few rounds of RP where people spamming farts is much less frequent. It seems like another unnecessary fun thing to nerf.

I dont think I ever viewed the spamming of it as funny? I think to most people repetitive sounds repeated over and over again are annoying.
(09-21-2022, 10:11 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: this is like asking to remove bees from goonstation, i think the idea is preposterous

if anything just add a trait that makes it so you can't hear them, like clown disbelief. fart disbelief.

Silent Butt Deadly
Crop Duster

lol
(09-22-2022, 12:44 PM)Ikea Wrote:
(09-22-2022, 08:13 AM)alexandregtg Wrote: The problem is when you start viewing this with a veteran point of view. Of course some of us have played this game for years and it starts getting quite boring after a while, but for a new player its really funny. Silly things like fart are what makes Goon the goofy place we all know and love. Nothing stops you from lowering your volume if it annoys you that much, or play a few rounds of RP where people spamming farts is much less frequent. It seems like another unnecessary fun thing to nerf.

I dont think I ever viewed the spamming of it as funny? I think to most people repetitive sounds repeated over and over again are annoying.

i like doing it exactly because i think it's hilarious
Yes I do think you should be able to adjust the tone, pitch, and timbre of your fart. The stomach is a fine tuned instrument, and the food and drink you put in yourself should be how you adjust the strings
(09-22-2022, 12:27 PM)Waffleloffle Wrote: I remember talk of an emote volume option for things like farting and burping being tossed around a while ago, did that ever get implemented?

it did, there's an emote volume option under the audio tab at the top left!

otherwise, applying emote cooldown for F seems sort of reasonable at least to help with message spam for it? i cant imagine anything beyond that though; even though I hate emote sounds, I just play without them on since I think the flavor of humor is particular to goon and not likely to go away any time
(09-22-2022, 04:52 PM)nefarious6th Wrote:
(09-22-2022, 12:27 PM)Waffleloffle Wrote: I remember talk of an emote volume option for things like farting and burping being tossed around a while ago, did that ever get implemented?

it did, there's an emote volume option under the audio tab at the top left!

otherwise, applying emote cooldown for F seems sort of reasonable at least to help with message spam for it? i cant imagine anything beyond that though; even though I hate emote sounds, I just play without them on since I think the flavor of humor is particular to goon and not likely to go away any time

I see no problems with a cooldown, alot of emotes have a cooldown like flipping, dancing and such.

Though some that are just text based are spammable still...
With one of my favorite being:
"Selena James raises her Eyebrow" x30 (Someone is being suspicious)

Even burping has a cooldown.

But as I said before.. Farting has a mechanical element to it. It's not "JUST" an emote, it actually DOES something in game.
It releases "farts" and methane or sometime plasma. Wich you can condense and use for gas.
It gives reactions to charaters... it lowers your cleanliness bar... 
And then a cooldown isn't bad, but at the same time... You are NERFING strategies that include farting to get things done in game.

As someone pointed out... It will indirectly nerf Hell Burns of engines cause the engineers can fart WAY LESS then before. Thus slowing their fart collecting methodes much slower.

Also fart cooldowns will nerf effects like Fartonium and Fart gas from Buttcrabs and eggs that force you to fart (unless they are spared from this wich I hope it does)

So maybe give another way to do "annoying chain farts" by introducing a new mechanic... like I don't know? Laxatives? If you take them you will start farting uncontrollably... wich can be used by engineers, but at the same time be used for fart poisoning by an antagonist wich is funny.

The willing spam will dissappear, thus nullifying the annoyance, but those who want to fart uncontrollably need to do a little effort for it then spamming F.
(09-22-2022, 03:56 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Yes I do think you should be able to adjust the tone, pitch, and timbre of your fart. The stomach is a fine tuned instrument, and the food and drink you put in yourself should be how you adjust the strings

this, and eating deep fried instruments overlays their sound with the fart's characteristics, so you may eat a bike horn to complement the vuvuzela sewn in your chest cavity

I have never found this funny at any point during play
(09-21-2022, 10:11 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: if anything just add a trait that makes it so you can't hear them, like clown disbelief. fart disbelief.

I don't think this would be a good use of the trait system, but the idea of this is pretty hilarious.