HoS application - ThatScarlett (Properly filled.)
Quote: "All make mistakes, but only some learn from them."
Usual character name: Scarlett Hynes, Esmeralda Heartcliff.
BYOND username: ThatScarlett
Discord username (if you are on our discord):  ThatScarlett#1210

Recommended by (if applicable): None.
Goon servers you play: Morty and Sylvester (3 and 4)

Reason for application: There are some reasons for me to take courage to apply for the Head of Security whitelist. The first one is that I feel somewhat experienced in playing security, I'm no expert or an robust person though. The second reason, is that I really crave to be in the charge of a security team, to teach others how security works, to lecture if needed, to be an example. The last reason, is that sooner or later I'd apply, and the sooner I get feedback on my way to play, sooner I can become a better player for the community.

Security experience (300 word minimum): Security was not a department I thought I'd like to play. I always played civilian jobs, and the idea that you're in charge of keeping the station safe scared me. After a month after I started playing, I put my fear down and went to try it out. I remember I always carried a Space Law with me, and I kept reading to memorize and learn better how to deal with things. Until now I only played Classic, and I always had something in me that didn't want to try RP, because Classic was the 'Classic experience', and mainly because I knew there were more rules.So I went to try RP servers out, and... I never quit! The way the round flows on RP is a lot more compelling to me than Classic. You actually talk to other players and explore their characters, create funny relationships and good memories. I really like to observe officers dealing with crimes, how they talked, and treated the situation overall. After playing a lot of security assistant, I went to become an officer. And honestly, my mind was still of an assistant. I had go to the wiki and read alot, get how equipment worked and all. From when I started playing to now, I've many people, and god, do I love the RP community. It's always nice to remember times when you and your team had a good laugh. One key point to my experience were the Head of Securities of RP. I've learned so much from them, and had good times. I can say with confidence that all of them are inspirations for me, and I hope to get at their level some day, role-wise and security-wise. I can also say that security is my main department since I became an officer, getting to interact with antagonists is many times fun, and good laughs come sometimes. I have to note, that as all security players, I've comitted faults that didn't go well with the roleplay, and I thank everyone that told me I was wrong.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players? We're all here to have fun. When talking about RP servers, that needs to be a goal for you, if you get that out of your mind, things just go wrong. Goon roleplay is really about creating a story, so imagine yourself writing a book, don't you think that if the 'bad guys' are imediatelly cut off the story, it gets boring? It's kind of like that. When someone's an antonist, they're not your 'enemies', they're coworkers, and both security and them somehow need to make sure the fun is going through the round.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one) There was a round rather recently, where the a mechanic called the Head of Security to talk about secure matters, so later the team gets an alert of the HoS, in the faint signal. I go there and rescue them, all is fine. But also, the HoS starts telling security to give people unfair punishments, so I knew something was off there. Later then, walking in a hallway another officer stops me, and they tell me a mechanic was actually our HoS. ANd they were! So our current HoS was an impostor, that switched their appearance and gear (with a DNA scrambler), so we start telling one by one of the other security that we have an impostor, and later we get the impostor cornered in security, and they say 'I AM THE LAW', and throws the lawbringer at the captain ,that was there. The rest of the round, we get them and our HoS gets bakc to their place. Of course, there was so much good RP there, but if I were to state everything it'd take time. It was very fun, and it was a memorable round.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players? Changing the security records PDA app so that you can search for names like in the Security Computer. It takes so long to check someone's records on PDA when you're away from security, and there's no one in the desk. Another improvement, I think would be maybe adding a Nanotrasen berett utility to the Security Weapons Vendor, I know you can get one from traits, but I think it'd be interesting for some players.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.When I'm playing in a solo team, I tend to radio things in the security channel if there's and AI or captain, so they're aware of threats, and to track or help me deal with tough situations; also; when playing alone I relie a lot more on the crew, because I'm one, and even with my gear, depending on the threat, I may fail very easily, or when there's for example, a shambling abomination, so we try to save each other and take them out together. When playing on a team, I try to radio all situations I find, arrests, tickets and record changes. If someone sends an alert, I respond on radio and go immediately there, because anything could be happening. I also try to alert on possible bad situations, for example, I see on a camera that there's a 4th law in AI upload, so I say "HoS, captain, there's a 4th law, you aware?", Or when I notice the space diner patrons aren't there, so I notify the team, but don't get into it, because the diner isn't of much interest of the station security. If I can, I also radio the security hangar code, because it's a real pain to have someone open for you. I try to respond to crew's alerts and screams on radio as fast as I can, if I'm offstation I try to ask if someone's into that, if no one answers, I go there.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
    Shitty Bill loves booze
    He was eaten by an ooze
    So the roboticist began making shells
    'Cause the Syndicate smells.

• What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run? One gimmick I've done as security assistant, is create a lawyering program, with a phone line and all! I really liked the idea, and I had cases like sueing a baguette and flashlight because the mime was having trouble glueing them. One I'd like to do would be perhaps an undercover detective, with no visual clues you're from security, with ID title changed to something like 'Mime', wear mime outfit and pretend to be a normal mime, and when others less expect, you flash your badge and talk! I think it'd be very fun.
  • Draw a picture! Viridis Varanis saves the pool   Sleeping bee
    [Image: IMG_20220314_212702725.jpg?width=320&height=427]

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None.
Solid officer, a good fit for HOS
(06-08-2022, 10:59 PM)qhd10 Wrote: Solid officer, a good fit for HOS

I don't think that's a appropriate reply, no real feedback in it, sorry. I don't think I'm a 'solid' officer, because that probably means robust, and I'm not much of that. And I can't say myself I'd be a good fit for HoS, so I'm mostly seeking feedback from others.

Note on the 'Draw a picture!': I misread It, and thought could be any ss13-related drawing
(06-09-2022, 07:07 AM)ThatScarlett Wrote:

I don't think that's a appropriate reply, no real feedback in it, sorry. I don't think I'm a 'solid' officer, because that probably means robust, and I'm not much of that. And I can't say myself I'd be a good fit for HoS, so I'm mostly seeking feedback from others.

Note on the 'Draw a picture!': I misread It, and thought could be any ss13-related drawing

Scarlett, you've gotta realize that replies like this are normal for HoS apps and are essentially an individual being supportive of your application, solid usually referring to being well rounded, not just robust. Your application shows promise but your response to a simple, yet supportive reply does not exactly spark confidence, so I'm going to have to give you a tentative +0/neutral
(06-09-2022, 11:39 AM)SenExus Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 07:07 AM)ThatScarlett Wrote:

Scarlett, you've gotta realize that replies like this are normal for HoS apps and are essentially an individual being supportive of your application, solid usually referring to being well rounded, not just robust. Your application shows promise but your response to a simple, yet supportive reply does not exactly spark confidence, so I'm going to have to give you a tentative +0/neutral

Oh. I understand, I just saw people comment a lot of short replies like that, sometimes making me imagine the person replying didn't see you playing a lot, but I guess good replies are always welcone
I think I've played a good number of rounds with you on the team to offer a review, and I really like the part in your application in where you're asking for feedback so you can become a better player for the community. I'll offer some feedback that you'll hopefully find helpful, and I'll start with the negative aspects first, since I like to end on positive notes.

I have noticed some long periods of radio silence from you sometimes, and there has been a few cases you've left the round without the team knowing about it. One round it sparked off a search because we thought you were missing, only to discover you cryoed and we just must have missed the message. I believe I've heard you speaking about technical issues before, so I don't entirely blame you if that's the case, but it's something to note here. It's also a great thing from time to time to just check in with the team and see how everyone's getting on.

Secondly, I don't usually see much real leadership from you. I'm not sure if this is because you don't want to step on the HoS' toes, or you're unsure about what direction to take. In speaking for myself, I'm usually happy to have an officer step up in a leadership role, because it tends to take some pressure off me since there is sometimes a lot to keep up with. Most HoS players will step in to let you know if you're heading in a wrong direction on something, so don't be afraid to take it on. A simple "Would someone mind looking into x?" or "I'm going to check on x, could someone back me up?" goes a long way, and most officers and HoS' will appreciate this.

My final and biggest concern is some of the past behavior I've seen when you played Agent Church. (I'm pretty sure you're Agent Church...if not, this can be ignored.) There was quite a few times I've witnessed some very questionable behavior as non-antag. A HoS player represents the community, and that's something to keep in mind regardless of what job or role you're playing. Granted, I haven't seen Church in some time and have not witnessed this behavior in some time either, so perhaps this is a non issue now.

On to the positive:
When you do communicate, you're on point with what you're doing, and offer enough details to explain what's going on without adding unnecessary information. You seem to understand proper escalation of force and de-escalation, and you resolve most situations fairly. You promptly respond to alerts and requests, usually with a short message that you're doing so. You have a good grasp of security tools, know how to work SecMate properly, and you have a great attitude and approach to the job. I also recall a round in which security was being left cryptic notes, and you really displayed some innovative and outside the box thinking in your approach to the issue.

All that being said, I'm going to remain neutral on this for now. However, I really think you're on the right track. I like seeing you on the team, and I hope you keep playing security and continue to learn and grow. I hope this feedback is useful to you, and I hope to continue to see you on the team.
Thanks for all the notes! Usually when I cryo I'm either lagging a lot or have to turn my computer off, but I definetely should at least warn others on the team.
When no one else is talking much lead, I try to be more leading in situations, but if there's and HoS I usually ask them on radio for brig time, setting arrest If I'm not sure. But I guess being more leading on the team can't be bad, so.
And Church.... Oh yes. I used to play every round with her with her being "A Syndie that also has a contract with NanoTrasen" (which is literally Impossible, now that I know more of the Goon world). I used to always get a red space suit in a drone factory, and it seems REALLY weird now that I look back.
Now I got something way better for her... Real name is Raven Hynes, she's on 'permanent' parole in NT security systems, and working forcefully for them. She lost her memory from the Syndicate, so she's just working for them and doesen't know much why. When I roll antag with her, she gets her memories back, and Agent Church takes place. Big text, sorry. Also that round with the notes was really nice for 'Detectiveing'!
Hell yeah! Suprised you arent a HoS already if i'm being honest.
In recent memory, seen solid communication on sec coms. Solid presence on the team, with or without a HoS. Has a fair understanding on dealing with crimers. Relatively calm demeanor and attitude. Nothing particularly bad stands out to me, so I think they’ll grow into the HoS boots.
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it, as we'd rather prefer you to gain a little bit more experience playing the security officer role. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days!