Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Should traitors be improved?
This was mainly discussed in the discord, but I figured the forums would be better suited for this discussion. Are traitors in a good place as they are? Or could they be buffed? Antagonists such as wizards, vampires, werewolves, and arcfiends all have some sort of resistance to security weapons. Should traitors be buffed to be on par with these other antagonists?

Combatting Mall Cops

Most traitors can attest that stunning your opponent makes them easier to deal with, and it gives them a better chance at fighting security. It is a lot easier to subdue a group of people than it is to kill them all. I have heard players say that they use stolen security weapons to stun their opponent, and then use something like a csaber to finish them off. Wizards engage in similar behaviors, like using magic missile and following up with shocking touch. 

Solution 1: Should  traitors be given access to more stun weapons?
  • Stun weapons could be an option in traitor uplinks
  • Stun weapons could be sold by CARL
Pros:
- Traitors have a fighting chance against large groups. Weapons such as the wrestling belt and csaber are best suited for 1v1’s which are difficult at higher populations.
- Traitors have a better chance combatting security. The stun baton is a weapon capable of defeating a csaber user, and when multiple security officers are rushing the traitor with multiple stun batons, it makes the battle an almost guaranteed loss. This can be countered by isolating and killing seccies, but they have health alerts and the AI on their side.

Cons:
- Could make traitors too powerful.
- Encourages combat based around stun weapons.

Solution 2: Should security weapons be toned down?
  • Stun batons could require more hits to drain a target’s stamina
Pros:
- Traitors have a better chance to take on groups of officers at once.
- Encourages security teamwork by requiring the department to attack as a team to tackle a formidable opponent.

Cons:
- May detract players from sec by making the job harder.
- Gives further advantages to most non-traitor antagonists, who can easily counter sec as is.

Solution 3: Should traitors get more resistance to stuns?
  • Traitors could have a trait that gives an increase in stamina and/or health
  • Traitors could purchase an implant that does this from an uplink or CARL
Pros:
- Makes traitors defensive capabilities more on par with antagonists such as wizards, werewolves, vampires, and arcfiends.
- Encourages security teamwork by requiring the department to attack as a team to tackle a formidable opponent.
- A more balanced alternative to nerfing sec weapons- Nerfing sec weapons could make revs too powerful.

Cons:
- Traitors could stack this buff with drugs, potentially making them overpowered. 

Solution 4: Should traitors be able to identify each other?
  • Code words and responses can be said over the radio to help traitors team up. Code words would only be available on the Traitor gamemode, as a traitor with a cloaker and wrestling belt along with other mixed antags  could be too much for the crew.
Pros: 
- Makes traitors more formidable and on par with other team antags, like wizards.
- Encourages trading TC which helps with gimmicks and clever/funny uses of traitor gear.

Cons:
- Grouped up traitors that are all taken down at once could end the fun for the remainder of the round.
- Traitors who are “friendly” or angry that they rolled traitor could purposely reveal their allies to the crew.(From what I’ve heard, people actually did this, which is the scummiest thing I think someone could do with such knowledge)

Solution 5: Give traitors more ranged alternatives
  • Ranged energy weapons could be available on uplinks to traitors
Pros:
- Energy weapons could be a solution to the lack of ammunition offered by the expensive kinetic weapons, which often cannot wrangle a crowd with low ammunition counts.
- Ranged weapons are good counters to security officers, who are the traitor’s biggest threat in terms of ranged attackers.

Cons:
- Could overshadow kinetic ranged weapons such as the revolver or shotgun.
- Could prove to be too powerful of a counter to security, as officers who are shot at with and run away from ranged energy weapons could be pursued by the traitor with powerful melee weapons.

Conclusion

In my opinion, the change that makes the most sense would be giving traitors a way to up their stamina without using drugs. The only downside I see to this change would be traitors using drugs in tandem with this stamina boost.
I personally think the reason traitors or antags in general are having such a hard time is sec being more competent than they used to be, while the antags are mostly inexperienced (I mostly play on main and havent been able to play much these days so please correct me if im wrong). I dont think this issue is traitor only either and a 7tc rampage weapon is still more powerful than some antags. Albeit it is true that it is harder then ever to be an antag due to higher pop and less apathy. This problem is escalated by the existence of friendly or passive antags (both of which are fine people can play their antag round however they like). I do like the idea of traitors being able to identify each other with something other then syndicate borgs, but dont think that traitors really need a buff, there are countless tools to avoid stuns or sec in general as it stands. Maybe antag counts could be raised a bit to keep sec busy as sec wont be nearly as effective when dealing with more threats.
Having a way to identify other traitors sounds like fun.

It makes me think of an idea proposed a while ago to increase the amount of TCs to 20, and adjust prices to reflect this. It would give the smaller items a chance to shine, and hopefully lead to some more interesting strategies. Perhaps the increase in flexibility would give traitors a better chance.
(04-20-2022, 11:36 AM)Rmeaper Wrote: Having a way to identify other traitors sounds like fun.

We had this.

"Hey sec, x x and x are traitors."

There's a reason it was removed.
Honestly, I think some sort of code words system would be great! And, if a traitor just... immediately rats on all of the other traitors, then thats just kinda shitty... and, I dont play on classic enough to know if that would be a problem, but I do know that it certainly wouldn't be a problem on RP at the very least!
(04-20-2022, 11:40 AM)Cal Wrote:
(04-20-2022, 11:36 AM)Rmeaper Wrote: Having a way to identify other traitors sounds like fun.

We had this

"Hey sec, x x and x are traitors."

"So how do you know that?" cue swirlie time

In all seriousness I think sec culture has moved (a bit) away from blind valid hunting. It would certainly be worth trying again.
I dont think stun weapons (important to note that there is a difference between stun weapons, and weapons that stun) and energy weapons generally fit traitors thematically. A big difference in aesthetics for NT and syndicate is the usage of energy weapons and kinetics, energy weapons dont damage stations and are cheaper while kinetics damage stations and do more damage. Stuns are better for incapacitating people however they dont do damage so they take longer to kill. its fitting for sec to use stuns because they are the ones who arrest people, while syndies use weapons that focus on killing first, with the incapacitation second due to them being an invading force.
Stuns are a superior weapon, would I change them? No i don't think I would right now.

The issue is how crit works on Goon, until that is changed lethal weapons will always be much riskier to use. Mind you this is weapons, Shambler arm stuns and will destroy folks, and wrestlebelt would be great if we still had double suplex but that got removed. C-Saber is alright but is a weapon and disarms, chairflips, power hammers, segways, plasma glass, bananas, lube, shotguns, pulse rifles and on and on and on will instantly disarm you of it. Then its a crapshoot if you can pick it up again, you're instead likely already dead for it.

Then C-Saber arms, thats waaaaay dangerous to use.
Tbh I think stun weapons make the experience less fun than general ranges/melee. You can dodge tasers by laying down, but getting clicked 1 time to be killed isn’t that much fun
Adding a stunning tool for traitors, along the long list of "eh" items available, doesn't sound too harmful to their gameplay. In fact, adding a stunning tool would be a boon and incentive players to act with more confidence against robust threats.

Codewords can also push players to engage in greater roleplaying or classic teamwork. The problem of players ratting out others would not be a design flaw, but more a player abuse problem that will be addressed with ahelps. Maybe making sure they are not radio transmitted, but only in person for balancing so you don't have meta sec shouting about codeword users.

I do believe a nice stunner would really help boost the traitor rounds and we will only see more creative or effective play from them.

If it turns out to be terrible, it can always be removed, but I say try it out. Codewords too.
Torn on codeword because when antags work together, it can be a lot of fun, but on RP, spy thieves and sometimes even conspirators will rat on each other (spies. every time, spies).
I dunno how big a deal it is on Classic too, but if I had an awareness of who else was a traitor, I would definitely be considering shopping for an extra 12 credits. I admit to yoinking from other traitors, which isn't the most uncommon thing.
Stun resist implants seem neat. There was some confusing and prolonged thing a while back about how stun resist is classified and differentiated from disorient resist and blah...anyways my only concern here would be how to make it very clear to players in any role what stun resist would be and that it is different from disorient resist. I know drugs already provide this as an effect, but overloading players with too many front-end mechanics can be a problem sometimes.
I actually don't have a concern really about stacking with drugs. If someone's stimmethimplant rampaging, I am probably not trying to stun them anymore anyways.

Good thread. I will say I think a lot of this isn't necessarily mechanical or balance-caused, but is community-caused as Sec players gett better and better. I appreciate a little challenge but I also don't think that better cohesive teamwork from Security is something to necessarily penalize.
Make it a code phrase, not a codeword. If you have it something like "Omega - 419.A - Watermelon" it's going to be incredibly obvious. If it's some phrase, "The weather in space is chilly" then that can be slipped into the conversation and gives real 'spies conversing with code' vibes. Phrases would probably have to be put in the secret module, though, to keep people from metagaming them.
I mean if you want to model it after real world espionage it's not just a code phrase - it's a code phrase and a specific response.
I don't mind a stun weapon for traitors/spy's.
They got enough lethal stuff going on so a few stuns would be nice, cause let's face it...
Most traitors have to opt to killing or finding other ways to knock out targets.

What "I" think traitors need infact are alternate tools to deal with stun or turning the weapons against security.
One of those things are EMP grenades, wich would blind sec for a few seconds due to their sec huds going down and all their batteries being drained instantly.
This would give weapons like the detective's gun being a valuable asset as it can stun too.

Other things I recommend is forcefields or a disruptor tool that would make trigger happy sec officer wish they don't pull the trigger on their guns 1st.

Now I am not saying traitors need EMPS period. But something like a SYNDICATE SHIELD to reflect shots back and a forcefield device that adds an extra layer of protection from stun (wich will drain). Will go far.
But naturally these things will do nothing against ballastics (so other traitors/spy's could hunt eachother with ballastics, this is a thing!) or the detective gun is needed.
Do note that det can be an antag as well...so it's not a det buff either.

In my opinion... just give em more tools to make sec regret pulling out just stun weapons and force them to do things like riot launchers and flashbang grenades.
Thus giving them also more use then just: "use it when a group of nukies comes in"
Traitors already have emp grenades that do exactly that by the way.