Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Make the genetic booth show who added the mutations
Far to many times sec has to lock down polymorph and biomas from the booth and then jump through hoops for a bit which one of the geneticists sold that and later find out it was the captain doing genetics all shift....

What I ask for is simple
Make it so everyone can see who added which mutations, on the panel
That doesn't seem to make much sense, why would the genetics console log that? It doesn't even need a login.

And I can't understand why people keep wanting to tell geneticists what mutations to put into the booth. Not doing crime with them is the responsibility of the people with the mutation. Everyone has a right to the genes within their own genome.

Much less Security taking action against geneticists for putting things like polymorph or biomass manipulation into the booth. Really?
Who would fault genetics researchers for giving people the ability to turn into liquid, genetics research is literally their job. 

I could maybe understand it if it were something like the radioactive mutation, but this is just ridiculous.
this is mostly on the rp server where self antags and antags are annoying to deal with if they have one of the mutations, they can be dealt with sure but
how do you limit their criming potential? lock stuff in the gene booth and crime was prevented you killed the source and there wont be any offspring
I never saw an polymorph in booth improve the flow of the round, so the assitant turned himself into another person, the ai will need to read the id to know which one killed the bartender,
The chaplain used biomas to run out of the brig for first degree murder, now I have to run to a med vendor get mutadone if they keep doing it and find them again THEN put them in the brig, go to the booth and lock polymorph so chucklenuts doesnt get it again, go to medical director if we have one and tell them to instruct genetics not to give that shit in the world, if there is no director I will have to talk to genetics myself then figure out which of them is the chucklenuts in question then deal with it there.
(11-26-2021, 03:00 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: That doesn't seem to make much sense, why would the genetics console log that? It doesn't even need a login.

And I can't understand why people keep wanting to tell geneticists what mutations to put into the booth. Not doing crime with them is the responsibility of the people with the mutation. Everyone has a right to the genes within their own genome.

Much less Security taking action against geneticists for putting things like polymorph or biomass manipulation into the booth. Really?
Who would fault genetics researchers for giving people the ability to turn into liquid, genetics research is literally their job. 

I could maybe understand it if it were something like the radioactive mutation, but this is just ridiculous.

While I don't agree with Kelpo's solution as I think the mutations are a problem and not the gene booth I'll explain why biomass is so bad because it seems like you haven't experienced the frustration and annoyance caused by it. Biomass manipulation is an ability, because of this it has no visual signs that someone has it until they use it. It pretty much gives you AA+ on a not too bad cooldown and can only be cured with mutadone. Now picture this: a player is griefing/an antag and got the biomass manipulation gene. Sec cannot tell that they have it and thus when they're getting processed the person escapes with the push of one button and now security has to go on a wild chase across the station and forcefeed them mutadone (good luck) or shoot them with a mutadone dart and unless you auth the armoury you have a max of 4 of those.
I mean, the guy went through the trouble of getting the ability so they can use it to get out of a fight, that seems fair to me. You can just get a hypospray with mutadone to remove it if you know they have it.
But I do concede that it would be very annoying to try to brig them, seeing as they could just use it once you take your eyes off them and you would not know how they escaped, so you wouldn't know that you need to mutadone them next time.

Making the name of the geneticist who put the mutation into the gene booth apparent would not really fix that issue though, would it? A criminal can still just get the mutation before you lock/clear the gene booth, or they could get it from genetics directly.
And arresting the geneticist who just wanted people to have a useful mutation won't solve the problem of the teleporting criminal at all.

So to me this seems much more like a balance issue with that specific mutation.
Presumably the geneticists would want to synchronize it for the gene booth so that it does not leave all the clothing/ID/other stuff behind, which would mean the person using it has at least a 5% chance of losing an organ, but that doesn't seem like a great way to balance it to me, way too rng.

What if biomass manipulation additionally had a passive visual effect on the person so you can tell who has it, similarly to things like telekinesis/hulk/heat/cold resistance. That seems consistent, since those are also abilities where it is important that people know when someone has them, so they can take measures to counteract them.

As for other mutations, I don't think any of those would be that problematic? The only other one I can think of that would let you escape prison is hulk, and that already has a visual effect, so you know if a person has it.

My main point is: Don't put the onus on geneticists here, put it on the people who use their mutations for crime. Not being allowed to give any of the crew mutations that could potentially be used for crime is just not fun at all.
The visual effect solution was what I was going for. Biomass is the only really bad mutation in this category right now and giving a visual effect to another kinda bad for RP mutation like polymorph would make it redundant.
Full disclosure, while I do play rp exclusively, I do not play sec at all, but polymorphism seems fine to me.

If someone does crime and then turns into someone else, or does crime after turning into another person there is some mystery.
And assuming they wouldn't attack and rob the other person, you could still tell who is who via possessions like ID/PDA, etc...

So then you just arrest the person who is obviously the fake, since they don't have any identification and stuff. Sounds fun to me, a little more investigative work.

On the previous topic: what could be a neat visible effect for biomass manipulation?
I feel like a water rippling effect over the tiles they walk on could work, another idea is that they sometimes become a transparent blue colour every let's say 10 seconds.
(11-26-2021, 07:05 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: I mean, the guy went through the trouble of getting the ability so they can use it to get out of a fight

>be murderbone antag
>walk in booth
>free biomass
>get mutadoned
>walk in booth
>free biomas
>Ad infinitum

There have been many demotions of geneticists who keep spreading bad mutations(one round we had to chase monkeys through mail chute, where did they get it? gene booth; another round we had a bunch of mechanics with voice activated teleporters and self biomass, where did they get it? gene booth), so the booth showing name of the one who sold it AND the job title could help us a lot either way so we dont jump through hoops  to find out who did.

Also speaking of, we should also have a log of who entered the booth and what did they buy while in it. Only certain individuals can acess the log
If people are murderboning on rp it's time for a little more law to be laid down than just a minute brig time. Kill them.
(11-26-2021, 08:50 AM)Kelpo Wrote:
(11-26-2021, 07:05 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: I mean, the guy went through the trouble of getting the ability so they can use it to get out of a fight

>be murderbone antag
>walk in booth
>free biomass
>get mutadoned
>walk in booth
>free biomas
>Ad infinitum

There have been many demotions of geneticists who keep spreading bad mutations(one round we had to chase monkeys through mail chute, where did they get it? gene booth; another round we had a bunch of mechanics with voice activated teleporters and self biomass, where did they get it? gene booth), so the booth showing name of the one who sold it AND the job title could help us a lot either way so we dont jump through hoops  to find out who did.

Also speaking of, we should also have a log of who entered the booth and what did they buy while in it. Only certain individuals can acess the log

So? Some people are monkeys. You can't outlaw being a monkey.
You already have the ability to lock mutations on the gene booth for exactly this reason, so you can lock mutations if you don't want anyone to get it anymore that round.
This just sounds like you are complaining about actually having to do your job as Security.
No I am suggesting that the booth should say who is responsible for the fire breath, biomas , polymorph staffies, making my job easier AND who are the individuals who took that stuff from the booth.
Question? Since there is no ID requirement who gets logged if someone uses polymorph then puts mutations in the booth? Or what would you plan on doing with someone using the Port-a-Gene or a custom built off-station gene setup?

Seriously though, Cal's right. If someone is dangerous enough to be genuinely concerned about their use of mutations, you are allowed to do whatever is needed for them to be unable to use the mutations. As far as self-antags, that's a behavior thing to be handled by admins. All I see resulting from this is a lot of situations where some pissed off sec officer tries to punish a geneticist who probably has no clue what's going on since it's frequently one of the first jobs newer players try.
Another thing to point out is you can literally get mutations in gene booth as sec too. With things like xray vision, smes, hulk. Add in the fact you also have body armor and gear you still have the leg up on most small time genetiders.
(11-26-2021, 07:05 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: I mean, the guy went through the trouble of getting the ability so they can use it to get out of a fight, that seems fair to me. You can just get a hypospray with mutadone to remove it if you know they have it.
But I do concede that it would be very annoying to try to brig them, seeing as they could just use it once you take your eyes off them and you would not know how they escaped, so you wouldn't know that you need to mutadone them next time.

Making the name of the geneticist who put the mutation into the gene booth apparent would not really fix that issue though, would it? A criminal can still just get the mutation before you lock/clear the gene booth, or they could get it from genetics directly.
And arresting the geneticist who just wanted people to have a useful mutation won't solve the problem of the teleporting criminal at all.

So to me this seems much more like a balance issue with that specific mutation.
Presumably the geneticists would want to synchronize it for the gene booth so that it does not leave all the clothing/ID/other stuff behind, which would mean the person using it has at least a 5% chance of losing an organ, but that doesn't seem like a great way to balance it to me, way too rng.

What if biomass manipulation additionally had a passive visual effect on the person so you can tell who has it, similarly to things like telekinesis/hulk/heat/cold resistance. That seems consistent, since those are also abilities where it is important that people know when someone has them, so they can take measures to counteract them.

As for other mutations, I don't think any of those would be that problematic? The only other one I can think of that would let you escape prison is hulk, and that already has a visual effect, so you know if a person has it.

My main point is: Don't put the onus on geneticists here, put it on the people who use their mutations for crime. Not being allowed to give any of the crew mutations that could potentially be used for crime is just not fun at all.

Gotta agree with this POV. Part of the fun of the sandbox nature of stuff is
A. Having prepared for it ahead of time and it not being an issue
B. Coming up with an ad hoc solution to it (More fun imo)

Which isn't to say there aren't issues with the power in and of itself, but that's more about balance and tweaking things.
I do think if you're playing a round as Sec and genetics powers are giving you a headache, you can still in turn give the Geneticists a headache as well. Tell AI to shut off their equipment or something, and pull rank if they complain. Try to build off of it in a way that gets them involved in the whole mess