Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A little thing on Construction Worker
As we all know (or at least most of us do) the role Construction Worker got removed a few of months ago. Decently controversial choice then, decently controversial now. I have heard that the main reason was due to the RCD and the ease of how it could tear through walls, of course being exploited by shitters and the likes. I do incredibly agree that 200 material units, or however much it was, was way too much power, especially on main.

This brings me onto something. Not sure if it's a solution, but it's something. It would be to make the role only accessible on the RP servers. This would, in theory, have only calmer people with less serious antagonists utilize this. 
Either that or, nerf the RCD

Another point is that the construction worker essentially removed half of the job engineers had. Sometimes that can be a good thing, but it isn't if it means your only proper job is the engine / singulo. The other half is to fix stuff and build things. ...however when was the last time you've ever seen an engineer actually build? Most the time it's the engineer borgs that get the building spotlight.

To quote someone who shall be anonymous for reasons: "No engineer born after 2020 can build. All they know is hellburn, sacrifice humans to singulo, singuloose, and Plasmaflood."

Another suggestion is to make the role a gimmick job, so that anything that bad happens is always limited. This kinda fate is similar to the likes of the Head Surgeon.

P.S. Kinda late while writing this so I'm sorry for any bad grammar
as someone who sometimes rolled construction worker on the rp servers back when it was a thing: one of the most reliably boring-as-shit jobs there was. you like NEVER had anything to do much less any excuses to interact with people if you didn't have a personal project
If engineers don't want to build, it might be because building kinda sucks compared to modern standards.

Engineers building and repairing stuff used to be the main point of the job. It kinda still is, in theory.

Making a new job to fill in that "gap" is superfluous because the only reason there's a gap is because there's issues with building to begin with.
(10-08-2021, 01:28 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: If engineers don't want to build, it might be because building kinda sucks compared to modern standards.

Engineers building and repairing stuff used to be the main point of the job. It kinda still is,  in theory.

Making a new job to fill in that "gap" is superfluous because the only reason there's a gap is because there's issues with building to begin with.
Pretty much. This is just my view on it, but the reason the RCD is so strong on goon is because of the lack of multi layer rwalls across the station on most maps. Even for critical areas like the armory or AI upload, it's all still just 1 rwall thick, maybe some glass you can pull out in 2 seconds to ignore the 5 second deconstruction time after unanchoring it. It's not good for people wanting to build with it, mind you, but It's good for getting into an area and then throwing it away, or blocking off a door.

It's certainly faster than tools, but tearing down one rwall is still around 11 seconds with usage time, and costs 1/3rd of the matter that an RCD can hold. The reason it's ever used for construction, if at all, is because its multi function and current construction is anything but that, and most are locked to a one at a time, action bar and multi step system.

CW removal is still sore from me because it was my most played job, cause I enjoyed building. It was still pretty slow even with the super RCDD, you just had ammo to spare. It's a bummer 2 people abused it to take down walls, honestly. Honestly, it would be nice having semi accessible tools for breaking walls down we don't have many options for busting walls with normal tools, it requires pyrotechniks or breaching charges.
Give engineers a big hammer that can break walls down
Bring back old thermite but make it unsmokeable.
(10-13-2021, 05:43 AM)MomoBerry Wrote: Honestly, it would be nice having semi accessible tools for breaking walls down we don't have many options for busting walls with normal tools, it requires pyrotechniks or breaching charges.

You can take apart a wall with the contents of a toolbox, though? The items you need are also available at any general fabricator for dirt cheap.