Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
AI Name - Round Start
Add a AI command feature that is time based for the first 5 minutes of a round. When you click this button it allows you to re-display the prompt for AI name set, it will only work once and will expire after the first 5 minutes of the round.

A small tweak but will help AI players who crash at round start as the only way they can get their name fixed is bothering admins or pestering the command team.
Its not that hard to ask the captain, HoP or RD to change the AI's name. Its a good piece of interaction with the crew to do that.
(06-09-2021, 05:25 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Its not that hard to ask the captain, HoP or RD to change the AI's name. Its a good piece of interaction with the crew to do that.

It breaks the ability to converse with the crew as your AI character, even on a slow shift, it took a good 10 minutes before a command member came to the upload last time it happened to me so for that time you can't really interact with the crew as "your" character much, so you are stuck in stasis begging for someone to come to the upload for 10 minutes of the round.
I suppose that makes sense for RP rounds. Sure seems like a good idea.
Same applies for clowns. Reminder that restarting the game in the postround (at centcomm) or during the 3 minute roundstart timer prevents crashes.
God please yes this would make my life so much better as an avid AI player on RP. I'd imagine clowns and mimes and other name-prompted roles would greatly appreciate this as well, and it seems fairly trivial to implement as far as I'm aware - wouldn't it be as simple as just having a command to call the proc which renames you and editing it slightly so that you can't use it if you've already successfully renamed yourself?
I feel a better option would be to have preselected names for jobs that allow it from the character sheets. Like, what you want your default clown, AI, etc names to be
Ah Frank has a good idea. Make default AI names a list you can edit in character creation screen.
Default AI/clown/cyborg/mime names with OP's suggestion implemented in case you wanna change your name for that round and for diplomats and such who want a unique name based on their RNG-determined race. Having both seems like an optimal solution, though the ability to just edit your name if you haven't successfully selected a new one (usually in the case of a crash) seems a bit easier to implement.
I'm not a fan of having to badger someone for fifteen minutes to come fix my name due to an engine limitation. I can't even really see it an an In Character problem in an RP sense. Since... do AI's get a one-time prompt to name themselves in character too? And Clowns? And Cyborgs? And Mimes?

I'm going to +1 the other folks that would love an option for the first few minutes in case of client problems. It's an out of game problem, it should have an out-of-game solution. We try to protect SSD players for the same reason. Nor do we require people to find some IC solution to when your vision janks out and goes flat.

Bugs are bugs, and should be handled like bugs.
While I like my AI name that I have choosen (Porta-Ai-System), sometimes the crew can have better name ideas, and its nice for a change. I had a round recently where I crashed and asked the crew for a name of whatever suits them. I think it was NOOT, who then changed my name to "Arthur Holiday's overweight grandma" and for the rest of the shift, I acted exactly like my namesake, reminding the crew to eat their greens, and monitoring arthur holiday constantly. At one point they were killed and I screamed about it on radio, and the traitor in my upload who i didnt spot, uploaded a law for me to avenge my grandson. Got reset later, but continued with my little gimmick. That was a brilliant round (and not just because I never got asked to open a door).

I do see some AIs who really don't like being namechanged, and grump about it, but really just let the crew change your name. If the crew are kind then you'll get what you requested, or something better.
(06-10-2021, 06:59 PM)aft2001 Wrote: Default AI/clown/cyborg/mime names with OP's suggestion implemented in case you wanna change your name for that round and for diplomats and such who want a unique name based on their RNG-determined race. Having both seems like an optimal solution, though the ability to just edit your name if you haven't successfully selected a new one (usually in the case of a crash) seems a bit easier to implement.

This would be ideal.