Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Porta sci program removal thread
Sad 
It’s pretty obvious that the recent removal of the porta sci program is very controversial. Give your ideas on how we could make a solution to this that hopefully causes less strife.

YASS EDIT: I'M HIJACKING THIS POST
reposting from discord, since people there were getting hung up on adventure-zone stuff since the intent behind the change was not necessarily made clear:
Main reasons were:
- detrivialize/encourage-proactiveness-in getting out of sticky situations (can't just ask AI for the portasci[remote] when stuck)
- Reinforce that the port-a-sci is the RD's toy, in the same way that the NT syringe gun is the MD's, or the RCD-C is the CE's
For the sake of making sure the discussion is on the same page: the port-a-sci functionality using the RD's remote is unchanged, and it can be used to summon/recall the port-a-sci as before.
I personally don't feel the port-a-sci is at all problematic outside of enabling people to rush azones solo.

My solution is simple: either nerf the loot or make the high-impact stuff actually difficult or time-consuming to acquire

Important note: some zones literally can't be escaped without summoning the port-a-sci (biodome pit because of the ladder to the catacombs for example)
Before anyone says it again: the app is now useless.
You cannot drag the Port-A-Sci behind you to use the app, because it will be summoned away from you, and now we're left with no ways at all to do anything in that scenario.
No player will ever do that, it's insulting that the changelog unironically reads "The port-a-sci can be taken along on adventures either by dragging it with you" the app is just a brick it makes more sense to just delete it.

Actually it's worse than a brick, the app now exists mostly to yoink the portasci away from anyone who wants to use it legitimately
Just so we're all crystal clear, what was the intended purpose of the change?
Solid change, if you're going on an adventure then you should also accept the risk that you might not be able to come back.
Removal of the Port A Sci's app summoning function was a good idea imo. It will make Azone rushing much harder cause there isnt the crutch of the Port A Sci, and overall makes there be a more risk over reward function of Azones. The Port A Sci just kinda felt out of place too.

(05-02-2021, 05:31 PM)Camryn Wrote: I personally don't feel the port-a-sci is at all problematic outside of enabling people to rush azones solo.

My solution is simple: either nerf the loot or make the high-impact stuff actually difficult or time-consuming to acquire

Important note: some zones literally can't be escaped without summoning the port-a-sci (biodome pit because of the ladder to the catacombs for example)

This then becomes a mapping issue and one that is quite easy to solve! (another ladder out)
Also to note, it makes various things guaranteed death sentences due to a lack of ability to prepare in advance for them, such as getting teletraped to an obscure location, or getting stranded in the trench. The removing of the summoning functionality i mean, maybe if the summoning version of the app was something the AI and RD has, and is sharable as needed?

(05-02-2021, 05:35 PM)RichardGere Wrote: Just so we're all crystal clear, what was the intended purpose of the change?

Based off what i saw on the discord, it is to "Give the RD more unique things to work with."
Heres my problems with the app removal:
1. It doesnt really stop azone rushers as intended since theyd be playing sci anyway and can either break into the rds office (0 new interaction) or just ask the rd for it (hey can i see the portasci instead of hey can you send me the portasci)
2. While its true that it makes it harder to get out of some situations that should be hard to get out of, it also makes it practically impossible to get out of alot of situations which imo is much worse

Those are the two main things off the top of my head but also heres some slightly unrelated input: I think part of the reason that people were so angry about it was that it was just pushed to master instead of a pr being made about it. I understand that its the job of developers to develop the game, but any player who wants to add something has to go through generally atleast a week long process to get it added. I feel like if there were still a requirement to pr (other than hotfixes and stuff) just a much shorter waiting period for devs alot of situations like this could be avoided.
(05-02-2021, 05:37 PM)Eagletanker Wrote: Removal of the Port A Sci's app summoning function was a good idea imo. It will make Azone rushing much harder cause there isnt the crutch of the Port A Sci, and overall makes there be a more risk over reward function of Azones. The Port A Sci just kinda felt out of place too.

(05-02-2021, 05:31 PM)Camryn Wrote: I personally don't feel the port-a-sci is at all problematic outside of enabling people to rush azones solo.

This then becomes a mapping issue and one that is quite easy to solve! (another ladder out)

The port-a-sci still exists and will still enable a-zone rushing.

You'll just have to use the RD's remote instead of the PDA app.
My proposed solution is making the porta sci a lot riskier to use. More bad side effects could occur such as polymorphing you, randomly losing a few organs, having the porta sci arrive at a horribly wrong location like the void.
not accounting for the very real and hard to fix problem of Nobody Gives A Shit About You, i think at the very least space gpses should be easier to obtain on all maps outside of mining or telescience. on some maps gps units don't even spawn outside those two departments so you basically have to ask someone to give you one of their limited (iirc) stock or Commit A Crime. having people carry gps's around would make manual search efforts by other people much easier while making it a bit more difficult and involved than "ai/rd pls send magic closet" (or at least get some nerd to punch your coords on the telesci console), while also putting a slight bit more emphasis on preparation when leaving the station; died in the asteroid belt and don't have a gps so nobody even knows where you are? tough luck, dude. shoulda brought a gps.
(05-02-2021, 05:42 PM)Camryn Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 05:37 PM)Eagletanker Wrote: Removal of the Port A Sci's app summoning function was a good idea imo. It will make Azone rushing much harder cause there isnt the crutch of the Port A Sci, and overall makes there be a more risk over reward function of Azones. The Port A Sci just kinda felt out of place too.

The port-a-sci still exists and will still enable a-zone rushing.

You'll just have to use the RD's remote instead of the PDA app.

Which means you have to have a slot open for it, and you cant just leave your PDA open and then do a quick three clicks to get out. So if you take alot of damage and fall into crit, your going to have to get into the port a sci and leave else your probably going to die instead of grabbing what ever it is and then leaving with very little risk of punishment cause once your in the locker your safe.
(05-02-2021, 05:47 PM)Eagletanker Wrote: Which means you have to have a slot open for it, and you cant just leave your PDA open and then do a quick three clicks to get out. So if you take alot of damage and fall into crit, your going to have to get into the port a sci and leave else your probably going to die instead of grabbing what ever it is and then leaving with very little risk of punishment cause once your in the locker your safe.

This is a huge reach, this doesn't impact me if I'm intending to powergame, I'll probably get out of anything I planned for approximately just as well as I ever did.
It almost entirely only affects non-powergamers
Idea: make the PDA app bigger so to store internally costs something or is impossible.