Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
hop overhaul idea
The hop is a long underdeveloped role, sitting at their desk doing nothing. being a person who mains hop, heres changes that I could see making the hop have a more active role on the station.
1) give them a port-a-id.
Essentially, give them a pda module that allows them to summon a id computer to them, allowing them to do their job and operation in civilian department areas, which they have command over. doing this would also encourage use of the acess-pro which usually collects dust in their locker.
2) give them more clothing options.
the hop, unlike every other head, has no alternate jumpsuit or any jacket (with the exception of manta, where they have a naval jacket). to fix this, give the hop alternate jumpsuits, and the naval jacket on every map.
3) give the hop a weapon.
controversial I know, but if the hop is given a port-a-id and begins to wander around the station, they would begin to mess with their cards a lot more, both when using the port-a-id and when using the access-pro. this makes it easier for staff assisnants, clowns, and antagonists to steal a card from them, to counter this, give the hop a low capacity (100pu) e-gun that can fit in their pocket with two modes. The first mode, is the normal e-gun stun mode, on this particular weapon doing this would consume 20pu. The second mode, is a disarming mode, which would make a target drop their items when hit, while powerful, this wouldn't effect their stamina at all, and would take 40pu to use, draining nearly half their capacity. While some sechops would try to abuse this, by giving it less power capacity than a standard taser and no burst capability, it makes it a objectively worse weapon to use for fighting criminals (or commiting crime) when compared to standard sec weaponry, pushing people to use it in solely defensive ways. 
Ultimately I think these changes would make the hop a more active role on the station, and would let hops get to know their crew better.
I like all of these ideas, I just have one issue. Giving hop a weapon in theory sounds like a good idea, for the reasons you mentioned, but on main, it would encourage sechopping. Hops do this anyway sadly, but a weapon would almost encourage it.
I think the Port-a-ID is a good idea. Maybe it should be limited in usage, for example, having a long recharge time or only being able to manually add access (not change jobs).

I'd especially like to see more HoP uniforms, perhaps some more suit colors to fit the bureaucrat look.

As someone who used to SecHoP before loadout vendors were added (a past I'd rather not dwell on) I agree with Froggit that giving the HoP a weapon, especially a unique one, would encourage this behavior. Though I do think it'd be interesting to give him a stun cane (the one the VIP has), as it fits the HoP's theme. To discourage valid-hunting, perhaps it could only have a 50PU battery (2 charges), enough to knock an attacker down and run away but not enough for an extended fight.

Also, I think it's worthwhile to give the HoP more involvement in the civilian department, but I'm not sure how.
(04-25-2021, 05:18 AM)getbrecked Wrote: I think the Port-a-ID is a good idea. Maybe it should be limited in usage, for example, having a long recharge time or only being able to manually add access (not change jobs).  

I'd especially like to see more HoP uniforms, perhaps some more suit colors to fit the bureaucrat look.

As someone who used to SecHoP before loadout vendors were added (a past I'd rather not dwell on) I agree with Froggit that giving the HoP a weapon, especially a unique one, would encourage this behavior. Though I do think it'd be interesting to give him a stun cane (the one the VIP has), as it fits the HoP's theme. To discourage valid-hunting, perhaps it could only have a 50PU battery (2 charges), enough to knock an attacker down and run away but not enough for an extended fight.

Also, I think it's worthwhile to give the HoP more involvement in the civilian department, but I'm not sure how.
I think a portable ID computer could have a long recharge time, to prevent antags from simply summoning it each second their around the corner and changing their job (perhaps even removing the ability to change job titles), but I do think that giving it only the ability to add access defeats the purpose of it, and it should also have the ability to remove access as well as grant it.

As for the weapon, the hop would need a ranged weapon for the purposes of defending their cards if there's a port-a-id. If someone were to take the hops id card while they are using a port-a-id the hop would not only be behind in a chase, not allowing them to use a melee weapon, but they would also lack access an id to chance the thief to many places. Because of this, I think that a weak-low capacity e-gun that gobbles power and is more of a "one chance to get them, or they're gone" would be better.
(04-24-2021, 08:56 PM)Theunsolved-puzzle Wrote: The hop is a long underdeveloped role, sitting at their desk doing nothing. being a person who mains hop, heres changes that I could see making the hop have a more active role on the station.
1) give them a port-a-id.
Essentially, give them a pda module that allows them to summon a id computer to them, allowing them to do their job and operation in civilian department areas, which they have command over. doing this would also encourage use of the acess-pro which usually collects dust in their locker.
2) give them more clothing options.
the hop, unlike every other head, has no alternate jumpsuit or any jacket (with the exception of manta, where they have a naval jacket). to fix this, give the hop alternate jumpsuits, and the naval jacket on every map.
3) give the hop a weapon.
controversial I know, but if the hop is given a port-a-id and begins to wander around the station, they would begin to mess with their cards a lot more, both when using the port-a-id and when using the access-pro. this makes it easier for staff assisnants, clowns, and antagonists to steal a card from them, to counter this, give the hop a low capacity (100pu) e-gun that can fit in their pocket with two modes. The first mode, is the normal e-gun stun mode, on this particular weapon doing this would consume 20pu. The second mode, is a disarming mode, which would make a target drop their items when hit, while powerful, this wouldn't effect their stamina at all, and would take 40pu to use, draining nearly half their capacity. While some sechops would try to abuse this, by giving it less power capacity than a standard taser and no burst capability, it makes it a objectively worse weapon to use for fighting criminals (or commiting crime) when compared to standard sec weaponry, pushing people to use it in solely defensive ways. 
Ultimately I think these changes would make the hop a more active role on the station, and would let hops get to know their crew better.

on 2) the hop definitely has alternate jumpsuits - whenever i play hop i always grab the the green skirt jumpsuit which looks lovely with a green sunhat

on 1) maybe rather than making the port-a-id a physical object, have it be a program on their PDA? They pull it up, make it their 'scanner', set the name, access, etc and then swipe it on the ID they want to change? Would be a lot faster in practice than using the ID computer, and would reduce the risk of stolen IDs, etc - this would also negate the safety need for the weapon
3) i'm into the idea of a purely self defense item for the HoP - maybe rather than a weapon, give them a tool that pushes back anyone in immediately around them and gives them a small speed boost to run away from danger? not sure what that would be, or how charges would work with it, but a tool that encourages going "actually, fuck this" would be great
(04-28-2021, 11:58 PM)coolvape Wrote: on 2) the hop definitely has alternate jumpsuits - whenever i play hop i always grab the the green skirt jumpsuit which looks lovely with a green sunhat

on 1) maybe rather than making the port-a-id a physical object, have it be a program on their PDA? They pull it up, make it their 'scanner', set the name, access, etc and then swipe it on the ID they want to change? Would be a lot faster in practice than using the ID computer, and would reduce the risk of stolen IDs, etc - this would also negate the safety need for the weapon
3) i'm into the idea of a purely self defense item for the HoP - maybe rather than a weapon, give them a tool that pushes back anyone in immediately around them and gives them a small speed boost to run away from danger? not sure what that would be, or how charges would work with it, but a tool that encourages going "actually, fuck this" would be great
2) I meant the alternate jumpsuit feature, theirs is busted and doesn't work for some reason
1) while that could work, I'm not so sure how it would play out without being able to have two id's in at once, maybe just make it a access-pro like item, not a summonable console, that scans and makes sure your equipped card has the id computer before you can make any card edits.
3) that would also work as a hop weapon, or a weapon for some other role in general. a sort of button you press that stuns everyone in a circle and gives a speed boost would be very cool, unique, and defensive
Give them a riot shotgun, but chain it to the desk.
Hover Desk
Give HoP the ability to weaponize pens. Throw them at unruly greyshirts at your desk and poke those who hop over.
(05-04-2021, 02:50 PM)BLooDHoG Wrote: Give HoP the ability to weaponize pens. Throw them at unruly greyshirts at your desk and poke those who hop over.

HoP John Wick moment
(05-04-2021, 02:50 PM)BLooDHoG Wrote: Give HoP the ability to weaponize pens. Throw them at unruly greyshirts at your desk and poke those who hop over.

the ability to throw pens, especially sleepy pens and crayons would be fun. maybe have the golden crayon do extra damage. not sure how you would balance the ability though, cant be took weak, but cant be too strong.
Instead of a port-a-ID, maybe make some/all of the functionality of an ID computer part of their PDA?
(05-03-2021, 07:33 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Hover Desk

I should uh, probably explain what I meant with this.

A desk that is a vehicle, which they can drive around in.

There's controls for accessing records and cameras, the ability to print forms and posters with a camera for the latter, a phone, etc

No weapons, but has armor plating it can raise that protects the HoP at the cost of reduced visibility, and an ejection chair that launches them away from it if it's too damaged.

Requires a special set of keys to operate it, which let you remote lock, unlock, and turn off the anti-theft alarm.
That sounds insanely cool and fun and would absolutely make HoP a blast to play