Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Spy rebalance Idea
Spy is a... painful gamemode(...either someone gets ALL the loot early on, No one gets even SLIGHTLY decent loot, or one nerd hides and makes bombs to wipe out everyone at round end...), I suggest it be rebalanced such that rather then Spys trading in random shit around the station for random syndicate shit(since often there is NOTHING worth getting from the RNG's choices, the difficulty doesn't match the value, or that ONE guy has stolen everything already...) Spys trade in for Spy points, spy points can then be traded in for syndicate objects that would then be hidden in randomized PDA tracked caches around the station rather than delivered directly to them- and rather than needing to send things in from specific locations, you can trade your loot in anywhere for half the "value" in spy points rounded down, this would also change things such that you can be asked to trade things that were previously "trade anywhere" in all sorts of locations across the station for added difficulty and added hilarity, this set of changes would overall make Spy less likely to be "hardmode traitor because you got voted on a tiny map that lacks what you are being asked for" or "Discount traitor because everything might as well have been 1 point or less in value, including the cloner!" and make things more interesting overall.
Or just remove spy, I dunno.  it's okay, he'll be up again before you know it Never really was a fan of the gamemode outside of RP.
One issue ive always had with spy, is access. Captain spytheifs are automatically going to be better off then a staff assistant spytheif. One way to balance access is to make it so only staff assistants can be spytheif, or make the spy pda count as an AA id.
(04-08-2021, 10:37 AM)TheRealFlapJackson Wrote: Or just remove spy, I dunno.  it's okay, he'll be up again before you know it Never really was a fan of the gamemode outside of RP.

I used to suck at spy, but it can be actually a pretty fun gamemode to be honest if you get used to it.
I preferred old spy just after implementation when you had to kill all the other antags/spies while watching your own back, which gave you a challenging objective overall for you to focus on, but now it's just kinda lackluster and honestly just traitor but with extra steps for your gear. Most rounds I see for spy have one or two spies found and killed in ten minutes and the other four do nothing the entire round and it's just honestly boring. The random rewards also make getting any sort of fun or workable gimmick set of items near impossible, and especially if you're competing with other spies to get those items.

If you want my honest opinion, just remove spy. It was barely fun when it got re-added, it's not fun any more, and I doubt it will be fun on its own merit without a total rework and at that point it might as well be a different concept. IMO it's better for someone's antag round to be more exciting that just "Oh I got spy I'm just gonna do nothing because this sucks."
I still maintain that knowing what rewards you get in advance for a bounty was a gigantic mistake and ensures that the vast majority of bounties will not even be attempted.
(04-09-2021, 02:27 AM)Mouse Wrote: I still maintain that knowing what rewards you get in advance for a bounty was a gigantic mistake and ensures that the vast majority of bounties will not even be attempted.

The problem with that is you will go though a lot of trouble to brake into a place like the bridge or the armory, only to get a item that you will never use
(04-08-2021, 12:43 PM)Froggit_Dogget Wrote: One issue ive always had with spy, is access. Captain spytheifs are automatically going to be better off then a staff assistant spytheif. One way to balance access is to make it so only staff assistants can be spytheif, or make the spy pda count as an AA id.

I agree with access but I don't think putting it as a Staffie only job is a good idea.  Some people never play staffie once they learn the game's basics so it's an entire game mode either they wouldn't get or they would be forced into a job they potentially don't want.

It also gives people an excuse to beat Staffies to death on sight for breaking in and doing what staffies do.

I recommend instead that no heads can be selected for spy.  It removes the access problem for the most part (different jobs have an easier time getting into certain places) and it means most people that want a chance at playing spy get the chance.
(04-09-2021, 02:27 AM)Mouse Wrote: I still maintain that knowing what rewards you get in advance for a bounty was a gigantic mistake and ensures that the vast majority of bounties will not even be attempted.

prehaps you get syndie coins to spend on traitor gear (prehaps a smaller selection of it than a regular traitor) when you complete a bounty, and to prehaps add an extra level of fun, you only know vaguely how many youll get, say small amount, medium amount, or large amoung, would prehaps make gimmicks with spy a little more easy
Change Spies to Pirates

You get a more ragtag equipped group than nukies, and a skooner (shuttle) that can move once every 5 min near to another beacon. They've got a list of booty to steal like spies but also have "re-appropriation devices" that lets them steal various other things (vending machines, guns, etc.). The big booty gives big loot for them. The small items give points towards buying better gear than the ragtag stuff they started with.

Instead of the nukie defensive position, it would be a much more hit and run guerilla warfare style where they try to grab what they can and run before heavy resistance arrives. Players can attack the moving shuttle to try and reclaim items, but give it a few defenses the players can spend points on to upgrade/add to.
(04-08-2021, 12:43 PM)Froggit_Dogget Wrote: One issue ive always had with spy, is access. Captain spytheifs are automatically going to be better off then a staff assistant spytheif. One way to balance access is to make it so only staff assistants can be spytheif, or make the spy pda count as an AA id.

i love the idea of staff assistant only spythief
greytide: the game mode
is that staffie breaking into that place because they're a spy or just because they're a staffie? who knows! sows a lot of interesting doubt, and makes it more challenging (but equal across the board) for the staffies
the only downside is since the other part of the game mode is killing the other spies, it would quickly turn into highlander: only one staffie can survive, since you know that if you see another staffie, they Could be a spy, so it's worth killing them