Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[MERGED PR] Adds the Security Assistant job
Required rounds for sec officers reduced to 30! It'd be neat to require hours played instead of rounds, like TTerc suggested, but that'll require a bit more refactoring, which I might do in a separate PR.

Also added a cool security ticket writer (sprite by Flaborized!).
I always count 1 round as an hour. If you have to play more than a entire day of SS13 to unlock a job then you might as well just white list the job.
I mean if you play a round a day it would take you a month to unlock security officer which I feel is a good amount.
PR has been merged! I'm gonna keep checking this thread for a week or so, so if you have any feedback or suggestions for this role and how it plays, feel free to keep posting!
(01-24-2021, 01:56 PM)TTerc Wrote: I think it should be based on your hours played, not rounds played. It should be possible now since we have playtime tracking? Because otherwise you'll end up with a situation where RP players have to spend more than twice the time playing the game than goon2 players. And I think 30, even 50 hours is reasonable. You need to let the new player get to know at least some game mechanics, and more importantly, the server culture.

As an rper I'd disagree, shitsec on RP can ruin rounds in a far more powerful way then on non rp(as they can be terrible for roleplay and can push people to power game/mechanics>RP), as well as knowledge on appropriate roleplay as an officer takes longer to obtain too. Hell I'd want there to be seperate locks for RP and non rp for this reason. Police brutality is far more acceptable on non rp as well, meanwhile officers are restrained mostly professionals on the RP server, especially with HOS keeping them in line.
So has there been any actual benefit to this?  Because so far all I've seen is security assistants being greytiding assholes who attack the crew and actively ignore antags because "they have no weapons".
30 rounds seems way too high in my opinion. If sec assistant is already locked behind 5 rounds, is it possible to make it so there has to be 8 rounds as sec assistant to unlock sec officer? That would still be 13 hours but would require 8 of those to be a sec assistant. Personally I don't know how, especially on RP, someone wouldn't be ready to be a sec officer after 8 (generally 2 hour) rounds in a junior role.
(01-25-2021, 08:05 PM)Mouse Wrote: So has there been any actual benefit to this?  Because so far all I've seen is security assistants being greytiding assholes who attack the crew and actively ignore antags because "they have no weapons".

Ahelp those people so I can ban them please! I've seen a lot of security assistants actually be good and fun sec, so it's unfortunate that there are some players abusing the role.
I have concern of the implications this will have on antagonists. On one hand, they present an easy source of Sechuds, security IDs and security headsets while being only armed with a flash and barrier. On the other the (potential) increase in manpower could mean more pairs/groups and a higher level of alertness that makes it harder to be sneaky.

What implications will it have for high pop revs and nukies when there is a whole bunch more flashproof players with sec access who can open cargo security crates and otherwise assist with equipment?

The security alert could have a much bigger impact than it appears because now you can just jam a button to let people know you are in trouble. This is much much faster than trying to send a radio message or use the PDA messenger. Even if an antagonist has rendered you unable to speak from crit or poison so long as you are standing you can tap it and it's not unreasonable to use it mid fight compared to the radio.
(01-26-2021, 04:57 AM)Katzen Wrote: The security alert could have a much bigger impact than it appears because now you can just jam a button to let people know you are in trouble. This is much much faster than trying to send a radio message or use the PDA messenger. Even if an antagonist has rendered you unable to speak from crit or poison so long as you are standing you can tap it and it's not unreasonable to use it mid fight compared to the radio.

All PDAs already have an alert program
(01-26-2021, 08:19 AM)InternetDweller Wrote:
(01-26-2021, 04:57 AM)Katzen Wrote: The security alert could have a much bigger impact than it appears because now you can just jam a button to let people know you are in trouble. This is much much faster than trying to send a radio message or use the PDA messenger. Even if an antagonist has rendered you unable to speak from crit or poison so long as you are standing you can tap it and it's not unreasonable to use it mid fight compared to the radio.

All PDAs already have an alert program

You have to be able to use your pda, and open it to use said program
(01-26-2021, 08:24 AM)Boxta Wrote:
(01-26-2021, 08:19 AM)InternetDweller Wrote:
(01-26-2021, 04:57 AM)Katzen Wrote: [...]

[...]

You have to be able to use your pda, and open it to use said program

Presumably you have to be able to use your PDA to use the new alert program as well? Or maybe I'm wrong. If so, sorry!
It's just an ability in the top left like PDA flashlight so it's very accessible.

I don't think anything stopped you having a PDA window up with a security alert Y/N ready to go because you don't have to be holding it to use it but not sure I have ever seen one.