Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
New Medical Job - Paramedic
A medical role with 2-3 openings that specializes in bringing patients from outside of medbay and bringing them to medbay while giving them basic treatment to keep them alive until then.

ID has partial Medbay access along with some extra basic stuff, such as partial access to other departments so they have an easier time getting to patients. May or may not have NanoMed access, because let's be real, med runs out of essential supplies enough as is, though it might be a good idea to at the very least still let them use the Port-a-NanoMed for when a case is uber-fucked.
Has special lockers in medbay storage (or whichever room would fit best i guess) that contains some essential equipment for Paramedicing (is that a word? it is now fuck you)

Starting equipment includes:
-A doctor jumpsuit, possibly modified to stand out from regular docs? idk
-ProDocs (obviously)

-A Paramedic suit OR a "Reinforced" variant with higher resistances.
-Paramedic Boots, aka galoshes but reskinned to fit their other clothing; can't save people if you keep slipping on their blood and guts!!!
-A medical belt, prefilled with basic supplies (because medbay can run out of supplies even at roundstart as it is)
-A pocket flash, for dealing with particularly violent patients (or their murderers)

In their Special Lockers to stuff in their Doctor Backpack (or Doctor Satchel, if they're cool):
-Spare belts, backpacks, headsets, basic equipment that every job locker spawns with, the standard affair basically.
-A gas tank of air mix and a gas mask, for obvious reasons.
-A body bag or several, also for obvious reasons.
-A crowbar or two, to get past those pesky fire doors or to pry open unpowered doors.
-A basic first aid kit, along with random specialty first aid kits.
-A new item: A deployable roller bed (not just parts because that's neither cool nor immersive) that can be deployed quickly but still take a bit to fold back up, and doesn't have as much of a movement speed decrease from pulling a live person or corpse, or potentially none at all! Could possibly have an IV bag or another new item (listed below) attached to it for ease of use? Of course, they can also just use the body bag if they really wanted to.
-A new item: the Emergency Respirator Kit. Essentially, an item that's internals that are less awkward to put on someone else. Runs on a rather small tank of oxygen (100-200kpa max?), and the mask can be put on the patient after a short action bar, also replacing whatever mask they previously had on. Could potentially have the special magical effect of healing small amounts of oxygen damage and capping losebreath, though not as powerfully as something like salb or perf. Appears as a medical-looking respirator hooked up to a small device with a smaller air tank attached to it. Tank can be removed and device additionally modified by using it inhand, mask can be detached and used by clicking on it with the other hand. Mask yanks back to the item similarly to phone handsets when too far from the patient it's attached to. Could maybe be attached to the special roller bed? Could also have some nefarious uses for antagonists. *cackles in traitor* No it can't be put in belts.

In their prefilled medical belt:
-Two boxes of brute and burn patches, respectively. Has ten 15u patches each. (make your own damn mendors assholes, seriously its not hard)
-An empty hypospray.
-A syringe.
-50u bottles of epinephedrine and charcoal.
-A "Low Power Defibrillator", an offshoot of the standard defib that has slightly faster recharging but lower healing power, just enough to get someone to medbay where the real shit is.
-A pre-upgraded health scanner, for scanning health and seeing how fucked up the Captain's liver really is.
-A new item: the Lifesign Scanner. A quirky device exclusive to this job (and the MD gets one too, because hes the cool doctor who makes all the rules and gets all the cool stuff) that's probably extremely awkward to use irl and will beep at the user (or send messages to their PDA if set up correctly, potentially!) whenever somebody nearby either goes in critical condition or dies. When used inhand, it will show more exact locations and distances to dead/dying people, as well as names and maybe even if any other people are near them. Intended to encourage players playing the job to... actually do their damn jobs and not be Budget Doctors, and to incentivize player empathy by making people in need of help easier to locate by the right people. Appears as... well, use your imagination, because I can't!

Why should this be added?

I feel like a job whose purpose is to just bring people who need treatment over to medbay, stocked with equipment to keep them alive until a doctor can treat them, would generally not only be good to have in general, but also be a job inherently meant to counter player apathy. A lot of people don't seem to really give a shit about seeing or hearing someone dead/die/dying, and this job's main purpose is to assist anyone who might be dead or dying who couldn't or can't get to medbay on their own. Only having partial Medbay access is to keep them from being Budget Doctors and staying in medical without doing their job, and to instead go out there and patrol the station for anyone who might need help. The Lifesign Scanner is also meant to drive this purpose home: using it in medbay would be redundant; it's the one place on the station where you'll expect to see a lot of dead or dying no matter what kind of round it is. It'd really shine outside medical, where dead or dying people will be much less likely to get the help they need.

In short, the Paramedic is meant to be a medical job that does their healing and saving outside of medbay, for the most part, healing smaller wounds and bringing more critical cases to medbay, while not having access to the same equipment as regular doctors and not being budget doctors. Meant to encourage helping other players and counter player apathy.
I'm not fully sure a new medbay role is needed. I play an awful lot of doctor, and I find myself going wandering to look for patients a fair bit. A dedicated role for that just feels unnecessary.
However, I REALLY like the unique items. Quick-to-equip internals would save so many patients, and being able to actively search out the location of critted/dead people rather than just having a one-time pda message would make it a lot easier to actually go out and help people, or at least retrieve their corpses for cloning.

I don't really think the role is necessary, but I would LOVE to see either or both of these items as medbay equipment or as levelling rewards.
I have it would be worthing investing in adding back "departmental assistant" jobs in light of the new player boom. +1
Maybe he could have "paramedic training" to not slip in gibs instead of shoes that will probably be rushed?
Could give them a cart in their PDA that injects saline gluc or charcoal in five increments (max of three uses per minute) depending on their damage and let their PDA double as a defib. Even cooler if these functions recharged every certain amount of steps to encourage them not to just hang out in medbay
considering Medical Doctor's general underutilisation, giving these guys (or just MDs) sec-level access, minus security, could be an interesting change. A lot of doctors just sit idly in Medbay or walk around waiting for stuff. On the other hand it doesnt really have many responsibilities so could just be a proxy access class
(07-05-2020, 04:45 PM)TDHooligan Wrote: considering Medical Doctor's general underutilisation, giving these guys (or just MDs) sec-level access, minus security, could be an interesting change. A lot of doctors just sit idly in Medbay or walk around waiting for stuff. On the other hand it doesnt really have many responsibilities so could just be a proxy access class

One thing I've been thinking of suggesting is adding the equipment/area access split that medbay and security have to more areas so you could give jobs that often need to be anywhere at a moment's notice (medical doctors, security officers, engineers, janitors) the ability to go more places while minimizing the amount of looting they can do.  Could even go more granular than that but that would probably require changing all the maps.  I'll see if I can write up a proposal tomorrow.

I like taking on a proactive role as doctor but not having access to the places where I get called to the most (security, mining, science, kitchen) makes it kind of hard.  I'm not totally sure a specific paramedic role is necessary though, it feels kind of redundant with doctor.  It might be best to rework doctor itself so it's not just geneticist/roboticist with less access.

A bunch of the item suggestions are neat.  I especially like the foldable roller bed idea.
Yeah, id like to see this, we already have paramedic suits, and medical belts which have in the description, "for the trend seting doctor on the go" or something like that

Also, when do we get a station powered soley by SA's running around on carpet

"Even cooler if these functions recharged every certain amount of steps to encourage them not to just hang out in medbay"
Maybe they shouldn't have a chance to roll antag? As others have mentioned, they will have an assload of OP equitment. But even beyond that their "position" leaves it stupidly easy to kill everybody. You're running into groups of people already dying and are the only thing preventing them from actually dying.
Not rolling antag eliminates the mystery whether a person is to be trusted or not. That should be left for security and HoS only.

I also do not think we need a paramedic job; you see - you can always just use the port-a-med and nano-med. These are a doctors tools to bring patients into medbay - fast.
I think this would be an unnecessary addition. There's basically already everything in place for some to play as a Paramedic. Just add a Paramedic section to the wiki. If there are MDs standing around doing nothing, they're not very good at their job. I've found MD to be a job of constant work. From the starting getting your kit together, to keeping the medbay clean and intruder free, to the eventual triage chaos.

Instead encourage communication on :m and have the team take on roles like paramedic/surgeon/receptionist/cloner etc.

I'm generally for sub-playstyles to form naturally rather than be forced by roles. Those playstyles should just be given as ideas to players in the wiki and by more experienced players.
Yeah, I also don't see any reason for this, if you want to roll paramedic you: 

- go to HoP to request job title change, + extra access (optional)

- equip paramedic suit 
- equip armor (optional) 
- install a prodoc eye (optional)
- get flash from robotics for potential trouble makers (optional)
- atropine for deep crit and for trouble makers. 
- request shades from sec (optional)
- make some strong stabilizer cocktail 
- bring implanter, inject players walking past with med implants so you can respond to them 
- equip bandages (much quicker than needle when not in surgery afaik) and Filgrastim injector for the odd occasion of blood loss. 
- Bring metal to deploy beds for on the spot shrapnel removement / limb attachment*
- bring scalpel for the above reason, and staplegun, ditch the saw. 
- use porta-med and nanomed for anything you can't fix. 

All the above you could have done in about 15 minutes. 

*That said I think it would be cool for a deployable roller bed (i.e a Stretcher) which would facilitate doctors patrolling as paramedics. You wouldn't be able to do complex surgery, just the same as any old bed, just instead of wasting metal, it'd fold back up and fit in your belt.
(09-19-2020, 07:10 AM)Sundance Wrote: *That said I think it would be cool for a deployable roller bed (i.e a Stretcher) which would facilitate doctors patrolling as paramedics. You wouldn't be able to do complex surgery, just the same as any old bed, just instead of wasting metal, it'd fold back up and fit in your belt.

Yeah like a little orange stretcher that you can deploy similar to body bags.
Why can people even hold up a complete body in a body bag in their hands without a representation as a sprite? That seems awful powerful and I have seen this recently a lot...is that intentional?
(09-19-2020, 12:14 PM)GORE Wrote: Why can people even hold up a complete body in a body bag in their hands without a representation as a sprite? That seems awful powerful and I have seen this recently a lot...is that intentional?

I'm not sure what you mean

Body bags, from how I understand, can be deployed by lying them out and then zipping it shut to close it and drag it and the contents, giving no speed penalty for people. When empty, click dragging it folds it up and makes it able to fit into inventory again

Are they behaving differently?