Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
A way to opt out of disaster rounds
Star 
As it stands, the solarium has nothing to offer except for a rather annoying survival round that is preceded by prematurely ending an ongoing round for all players. As there is currently no reason to do this other than to get a medal for participants, why not have a gamemode vote pop up following a normal end of the round rather than abruptly stopping the current one and causing a massive outcry of "SOL NERDS" from the unwitting participants?
Hmm, on the one hand, I get the desire to actually play a proper round, on the other hand I feel like having a vote would ruin a lot of the sense of mystery that people get on their first disaster round ever. And also, being able to vote on it might make disaster rounds quite rare, making it impossible for new players to get the medal, which is connected to some rewards.
I for one mention my subjective opinion:"Leave it as it is."
To add onto this, an option to mute or stop music/sounds that happen during disaster round instead of removing my headset would be clutch. They're so LOUD!
It does get frustrating if there are multiple disaster rounds in a short period of time. And the way it ends the previous round prematurely is rather bad. (I kinda thought that had been changed).

But I think that the disaster round has a problem of just being too tedious once you've done it once. The enemies aren't particularly fun to fight. Considering how they are either simple to kill if you are prepared or they stun then delete you if you are not.

I think that a "solution" to the problem here is to make the disaster round more interesting. I think there was a PR to add a wraith to all disaster rounds. Imo that's thinking in the right direction, but it doesn't go far enough and doesn't really add much new to the crew's side of things.

I think that disaster round can be greatly improved by making a few modest changes:
1. Give any ghosts the ability to spawn in as the monsters that right now are controlled by AI. (Like the science ghost, and the eldritch abominations)
2. Give the crew a mission to complete either in order to call the shuttle or for a crew victory on round end. Such as there is "something" interfering with communications and the crew needs to solve the issue somehow collecting things from dangerous parts of the station in order to complete it. Maybe a puzzle.
3. Possibly add traitors with low key gear and the specific objective to either hinder the crew's mission or their own concurrent mission that would cause violent friction with the objectives of the ghost monsters and the crew.
My two cents is FUCK BLOODLINGS.
That is all.
I think the biggest issue with disaster is that you have a small amount of time before everything goes to shit and not everyone knows that on their first time. The power outages are the worst part since I've had the issue where I got locked into the security lockers room without a crowbar to get myself out and was stuck there for the rest of the round.

I think it'd be a good idea to have Centcomm drop care packages to the station to help with the situation, just having the same crates that QM has, EG medkits, mechanical tool boxes. I think even having some refined nukie crates wouldn't be too bad ( for fighting off the robots)
Maybe have it so radios are not ALWAYS turned off on disaster rounds? Make them work on and off like every minute or two
(06-25-2020, 08:23 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: Maybe have it so radios are not ALWAYS turned off on disaster rounds? Make them work on and off like every minute or two

I thought that is why people grabbed station bounced radios?
(06-25-2020, 11:27 AM)GORE Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 08:23 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: Maybe have it so radios are not ALWAYS turned off on disaster rounds? Make them work on and off like every minute or two

I thought that is why people grabbed station bounced radios?

I never did so I have no idea if that actually works or not. Usually its just everyone yelling over the radio to meet at escape before the radios shut off.
I think station bounced radios do still work, as long as there is no solar flare.
Well then how about everyone starts with a station bounced radio?
(06-26-2020, 12:43 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Well then how about everyone starts with a station bounced radio?

I like that the first few minutes of the round are scavenging all you need. Those radios are nearly available everywhere. I think that aspect is fine as it is.
Then I have no idea what else to do to make people happy with disaster rounds
A large part of the frustration with disaster rounds seems to be that it cuts various antagonist's rounds short, how about just making the previous round's antags antags again in the disaster round? That would also make the disaster round more interesting for experienced players than just hunkering down and killing critters.

Alternatively, because it cuts rounds short for normal crew too, what if it just did something ominous but less conspicuous when the puzzle is completed, to show that sol has been done, but still waits until the shuttle flight. Then during the shuttle flight there is a whole sun-space, screen-shake thing and then the disaster round starts? Sort of like the Shuttle crashing because of the events. That would allow players to play out the previous round before the disaster round starts while retaining some of the mystery of a round suddenly getting cut short for new players (seeing as it would be mid shuttle ride and one would never reach centcomm).
The only issue I see with this is the end of round stats not getting shown, but maybe those could be backed up on goonhub somewhere for each round anyway?
It seems like a good feature to be able to look that up for each round even after it happened.