Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[FEATURE] Double-Barrel Shotgun
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...6/pull/150

It's a double-barrel shotgun! I'm mostly submitting this patch to lay the groundwork for getting this weapon in the game. I'm willing to modify and work on it as necessary to get it included.

Here's a quick walk through its current functionality.

The double-barrel shotgun is a weapon that's very strong in close range. While within 3 tiles of your target (including the tile they are standing on), you will do 100 brute damage and have a good chance of blowing off an arm, a leg, or even both. I've coded it in such a way that you can't completely delimb someone by shooting them repeatedly. Furthermore, it has a pretty strong damage ramp-off losing 20 damage per tile when the distance is more than 3 tiles. I see this weapon as sort of the katana to the c-saber, except with respect to the spacker. It's not a great weapon for crowds, but it'll do great if you're just trying to gun one person down.

This weapon has a unique reloading mechanic in which you have to open the gun in order to reload it. At the moment I have it set to use only its specific type of ammo, but this could be changed to accept regular buckshot and other ammo types. Because this gun requires a bit more finesse to reload, I think it helps to offset the insane amount of damage it does. You can't just blow everyone away with it.

The gun is also pocketable which adds a bit of discreteness to it which is fun.

I created nearly all assets for this gun from scratch. The sprites were made by me, as well as the sounds for opening and closing the weapon. The firing sound was composited from different sound effects I had lying around, and as such it might be a bit more dubious to add, though I feel it was transformative enough.

Demonstration:
https://streamable.com/r7344
Looks rather solid. The sounds are really good, the sprite for the gun itself is alright. Only maybe the projectile wasn't as impressive as it could have been but it's not the worst either. Not sure if you're aware that you could have made the gun require two bullets in the chamber instead of only one (but still shooting only one projectile) but even that is not the end of the world.

I guess the biggest issue with guns is their placement and place in the world. Like.. Where should we even put this thing? You can pull this thing from your backpack and blast someone at point-blank for pretty much an instant kill, especially if they lose a leg then it's just straight out game over. There's a reason why you can't have a spacker/c-saber with cloaker either. This would be the same. Maybe a really deep adventure zone reward (even though AK isen't that deep.) Guns are a bit of a hard thing to add in, they are hard to balance. The gun does require you to be rather close for it to be effective, although with some practise the reloading will be a breeze.

Still, very well done, hopefully someone will find a nice use for it. Wild west special rounds if nothing else?
Had the pleasure of testing this during creation, it is a really well thought out and fun gun, I do agree it might be hard to fit it in, But I think its worth it. I think it has potential as a special round weapon and a hidden A-zone Gun, It might seem over powered at first, but if you take the AK or Hunting rifle and use the as 1on1 weapons instead of against a crowd you'll find they are just as deadly. Perhaps once gangs reach a certain amount of "reward" they could have the leader be gifted one. Or just tuck it away somewhere deadly. Theta and Biodome already have their weapons so putting it there might be too much in one spot, Personally I think it would both fit thematically and be fun to include at the end of the Owlery. Gives it enough of a buffer to make it a challenge to grab, Perhaps in the same room as "The Thing", with the dead syndicate. Anyways, over all i give this Idea/Patch a big +1 as long as we can find a proper home for it.
Definitely a candidate to make this a two-handed gun.
(08-11-2019, 01:32 AM)Azungar Wrote: Looks rather solid. The sounds are really good, the sprite for the gun itself is alright. Only maybe the projectile wasn't as impressive as it could have been but it's not the worst either. Not sure if you're aware that you could have made the gun require two bullets in the chamber instead of only one (but still shooting only one projectile) but even that is not the end of the world.

I guess the biggest issue with guns is their placement and place in the world. Like.. Where should we even put this thing? You can pull this thing from your backpack and blast someone at point-blank for pretty much an instant kill, especially if they lose a leg then it's just straight out game over. There's a reason why you can't have a spacker/c-saber with cloaker either. This would be the same. Maybe a really deep adventure zone reward (even though AK isen't that deep.)  Guns are a bit of a hard thing to add in, they are hard to balance. The gun does require you to be rather close for it to be effective, although with some practise the reloading will be a breeze.

Still, very well done, hopefully someone will find a nice use for it. Wild west special rounds if nothing else?
I made some minor adjustments based off of what you said. I changed the power to 90 and made it a 10% chance for a leg to be blown off. The way it's now implemented you're most likely to blow off the left arm of the person you're shooting. You can also blow off someone's right arm, but it's less likely. I haven't done the math to map out the probability, but the gist is that it's gonna be hard to remove both of someone's arms using this gun. I also took care of the ammo situation, it now takes two bullets to fire. I also increased the damage fall-off so it's harder to use beyond close range.

As for making the projectile more impressive, did you have any suggestions? I'm willing to expand on it some more if there's some direction I can be given.

I understand the difficulty behind finding a place for the weapon to be added. I figured this could fit decently as a traitor item if anything. Make it cost a bit less than the spacker, 7 TC or so, and that eliminates the cloak problem. I can't see it being much more effective than the spacker realistically. You can't take on a crowd with it in its current state, in my opinion, and it's not quite as powerful as the c-saber. This could also be a fun nukie weapon if a class was designed around it. Give them a reliable stun, and then you have sort of a shock trooper class.

Again, I'm not super attached to the stats of the weapon or anything, so modifying it to make it more palatable for implementation is totally fine with me. Honestly if you guys just want the sprites and sounds, take 'em!

(08-11-2019, 11:09 AM)Tewf Wrote: Had the pleasure of testing this during creation, it is a really well thought out and fun gun, I do agree it might be hard to fit it in, But I think its worth it. I think it has potential as a special round weapon and a hidden A-zone Gun, It might seem over powered at first, but if you take the AK or Hunting rifle and use the as 1on1 weapons instead of against a crowd you'll find they are just as deadly. Perhaps once gangs reach a certain amount of "reward" they could have the leader be gifted one. Or just tuck it away somewhere deadly. Theta and Biodome already have their weapons so putting it there might be too much in one spot, Personally I think it would both fit thematically and be fun to include at the end of the Owlery. Gives it enough of a buffer to make it a challenge to grab, Perhaps in the same room as "The Thing", with the dead syndicate. Anyways, over all i give this Idea/Patch a big +1 as long as we can find a proper home for it.
I like the idea of adding this to gangs, though that would probably be part of a larger overhaul. The owlery idea isn't half bad either!

(08-11-2019, 01:46 PM)ZeWaka Wrote: Definitely a candidate to make this a two-handed gun.
That's an interesting thought. Do you think the current reload mechanic should stay if that's the case? An interesting idea would be it's two-handed when the weapon is closed, and one-handed when it's open for reloading. I'd implement that myself, but as far as I'm aware the code for two-handed weapons isn't in the 2016 release of goon.
possible option to include this in a nuke ops class crate? if there's concern about it being too good for regular traitor use.
This sounds pretty neat. I'd agree that it should be a 2-handed gun for sure, shotgun recoil is serious business.
I really like this, the sounds are satisfying and I love how it works as an alternative to the spacker. I'm not sure exactly where I'd put it, and I think the suggestion to make it a 2-handed weapon is pretty valid, but otherwise it's great.