Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Limb Things
(11-06-2013, 04:00 PM)Sundance Wrote:
UrsulaMejor Wrote:How about no, we don't take harm intent away from robotic limbs? That really, really doesn't fit in with the theme of this suggestion, which was supposed to make robotic limbs both more common and more hilarious for traitors (especially traitor roboticists) to mess with.

Yeah, there's a tendency in this subforum to get extremely sidetracked and ignore the OP.
"derp, what if emagging the arm causes it to turn into a propellor and gibs anyone you touch!?!"

But yeah, I agree for the most part. My only gripe would be how doctors and roboticists would actually identify the arms, would they have a finger print scanner like sec do for their pda's? Or will be some kinda stationary thing you just smack the arm of and it states the fingerprint?
There's a Forensic Scanner in the morgue. Just add one or two to Robotics and Surgery and call it a day.
Organs are still labled after their owner, so a gibbed mr muggles will leave a Mr. Muggles lung behind.
Think we should also apply this to organs if we do it for limbs.

And what about meat from the grinder?
I would love a drill arm for miners
Idea: arms should carry the fingerprints of the original owner, regardless of whom it is attached to
The arm has a chance to come off with the finger pull
Seems like organs were changed, butt skulls and butts still have their owners name.
Well you HAVE to know what butt is yours.
i noticed decapitated heads don't have names now which is kinda silly
Decapitated heads should probably have names yes.
but I can't see their id ?
but you can identify people by their face. you know all faces and voices IC
(05-22-2019, 09:57 AM)The Gorog Wrote: but you can identify people by their face. you know all faces and voices IC

I mean, that would make the game kinda unplayable if not, not to mention rather hard to code.
Is there a way to cure limb rejection? It'd be nice if there was a way to get those things to settle down, especially for the more ... uncommon limbs.
You should also be able to attach more items as arms.
I feel like I'm in the minority here when I say I don't think this change was needed. Identifying human remains from explosions by fingerprints and labelling limbs with labelers aren't particularly interesting and are really more of hassles. I know neither are really required (I can still identify based personal effects left behind,  and besides, getting a forensic scanner isn't too difficult, name doesn't matter if I'll be selling the organ, and attaching limbs not belonging to their owners isn't particularly damaging), but it's still annoying. Plus, it indirectly removes some of the novelty of owning someone's head/butt/skull and making a headspike or buttbot/skullbot with their name on it.

Personally, if I was a traitor going around as Unknown, and if I had a limb blown off, as in the OP, I wouldn't care. Yeah, they know who I actually am, but I can easily just change disguises, so they won't link the name to my face/appearance. It's more effective now that some helmets actually conceal your hair.

Yeah, you wouldn't be able to tell an arm's owner just from the arm in real life. I definitely wouldn't. But...so what?  What's the problem?

Besides, "You don't have the ID to distinguish them" thing feels weak, because the game mechanics point towards you knowing enough about people to be able to distinguish their voices and faces. I'm not talking about some random Examine text or some piece of lore trivia on the wiki that somebody made up for a joke; I mean actual mechanics. You can mouseover someone and see they're Pubby McScrubs, even if they've pocketed their ID and PDA, implying you know what Pubby McScrubs's fecking face looks like. Even if Pubby's wearing a mask or wearing someone else's ID, you can still distinguish that they're Pubby in the chat, unless they have a voice changer, implying you know what their voice sounds like. I don't think the people who coded these features consciously thought that characters had this sort of knowledge, and I know this means people can tell what a wizard or nukie sounds like and what their names are, but that's what they lead to.

As for removing names making people for likely to visit the roboticist....honestly, I haven't seen this happen because of these limb changes. If I really wanted people to visit robotics more often, I'd make it more convenient to get a new robolimbs (e.g. a gel that, when, applied to limb, makes it easier to attach it to yourself, perhaps without surgery) and worsen the effects having a limb that isn't yours (e.g. damage over time because your body's fighting what it thinks is a foreign body, having to take a drug that randomly gives you diseases because it suppresses your immune system to prevent said effect, simply having the limb eventually fall off because the body rejects it that much.)