HOS Application: SRQ
BYOND Username: SRQ
Recommended by (if applicable): A whole bunch of people on Discord.
Times Available: Pre
Times Available: Pretty random, honestly. Mostly in the early afternoon and AM mountain time.

Reason for Application (300 word minimum): 
I've decided to apply for head of security for two reasons. Firstly, I find the linked NTSO role extremely interesting and that's what pushed me over the edge to finally do what I've been considering for months. Secondly, because when I do play security I do my absolutely best to play good security, which often leaves me being an unofficial head of the department if there's less experienced officers around. I view securities job as a fun-balance, and with the additional RED HAT of a Head of Security I think I can do this role in an official fashion better.

In addition to this I enjoy playing a role with authority and view it as a way to secure the enjoyment of others. It's a strange balance between a craving for power and being able to use that as an end to make things better overall. The head of security role is a fun way to to that, for all involved, on Goonstation.

The ultimate reason I want to apply for this role is so that I can slot myself in a position to constrain the worst impulses of everyone involved. Security often, out of frustration or POWER THIRST feels compelled to treat antagonists as if they are literally antagonists and that murdering them and then spacing the body parts is how they win the game. Antagonists sometimes feel like all they want to do is rampage with a shotgun. A good security staff can constrain both of these, and in addition to balancing this as head of security I can help my department manage the crew being jerks to eachother.

Following on from that, security itself often needs security and keeping a watchful eye for both silly supercop shenanigans and being able to prevent that from ruining somebodies round, while also being able to watch for literally bad security officers harmbatoning themselves and then kicking the clown to death, is definitely something the playerbase can benefit from.

Security Experience (300 word minimum):
I've been playing security since poo was a thing. I have seen everything in my long career in security from the recent new-wave of horrifyingly bad nerds that chose sec as their first job, to understaffed two-man squads dealing with nuke ops. Through it all I've learned that security is, as stated above, a way to balance the fun of everyone on the server.

What I mean by this is that security does not serve exclusively the non-antagonists, the antagonists, nor itself. It's the job of security to ensure that dumb obvious rampages are ended and JUSTICE imposed against those, and that more subtle antagonism can take place with the challenge security provides along with assurance that the crew itself going traitor hunting if someone happened to have a syndicate hat isn't a thing. It's a balancing act, and one that a good security officer should be able to do.

I've also played a fairly hands off security officer, with a basic theory of if it's not ending someones round or threatening to it's not something I should be violently pursuing. Sometimes this has led to my own hilarious death but that's Space Station 13, and I'd prefer it this way much more than rampaging super-cops that arrest everyone that's holding their PDA in maintenance at the start of the round. I also have experience playing every antagonist and know how little fun it is to deal with supercops that robust your ass the moment they have an excuse to. "Valid hunting" is something I despise and have an almost ideological stance against. The exception being, of course, if the antagonist is going on a rampage and invites an equally violent response.

As far as head of security goes, it's a role I feel myself shifting into unofficially if nobody else is taking charge of the department. I've done that quite a few times, it's quite enjoyable and a good way to make sure nobody throws anyone in the brig without leaving the timer on, and coordinates to get rampagey antagonists before they murder the entire crew.

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc):
The portable flashers are kinda dumb. They're either absolutely unused, or when used properly are only used in a few specific spots and a non-portable built in version makes more sense. They're also ripe for abuse, so this lends them to only three modes of use: Ignored, flashing the detective every time he walks in, and a greyshirt putting them in the hallway.

I think the HOS should have a fish tank. I like fish.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will):
I'm sure I have a record a mile long, and I know I have at least one ban on record from about two years ago, but I'm unsure of the specifics. There was also one rather short ban when I detonated a fuel-tank in chapel and went offline afterwards- having used it as a suicide in a case of mildly poor judgment.tty random, honestly. Mostly in the early afternoon and AM mountain time.

I've decided to apply for head of security for two reasons. Firstly, I find the linked NTSO role extremely interesting and that's what pushed me over the edge to finally do what I've been considering for months. Secondly, because when I do play security I do my absolutely best to play good security, which often leaves me being an unofficial head of the department if there's less experienced officers around. I view securities job as a fun-balance, and with the additional RED HAT of a Head of Security I think I can do this role in an official fashion better.

In addition to this I enjoy playing a role with authority and view it as a way to secure the enjoyment of others. It's a strange balance between a craving for power and being able to use that as an end to make things better overall. The head of security role is a fun way to to that, for all involved, on Goonstation.

I've been playing security since poo was a thing. I have seen everything in my long career in security from the recent new-wave of horrifyingly bad nerds that chose sec as their first job, to understaffed two-man squads dealing with nuke ops. Through it all I've learned that security is, as stated above, a way to balance the fun of everyone on the server.

What I mean by this is that security does not serve exclusively the non-antagonists, the antagonists, nor itself. It's the job of security to ensure that dumb obvious rampages are ended and JUSTICE imposed against those, and that more subtle antagonism can take place with the challenge security provides along with assurance that the crew itself going traitor hunting if someone happened to have a syndicate hat isn't a thing. It's a balancing act, and one that a good security officer should be able to do.

I've also played a fairly hands off security officer, with a basic theory of if it's not ending someones round or threatening to it's not something I should be violently pursuing. Sometimes this has led to my own hilarious death but that's Space Station 13, and I'd prefer it this way much more than rampaging super-cops that arrest everyone that's holding their PDA in maintenance at the start of the round. I also have experience playing every antagonist and know how little fun it is to deal with supercops that robust your ass the moment they have an excuse to. "Valid hunting" is something I despise and have an almost ideological stance against. The exception being, of course, if the antagonist is going on a rampage and invites an equally violent response.

As far as head of security goes, it's a role I feel myself shifting into unofficially if nobody else is taking charge of the department. I've done that quite a few times, it's quite enjoyable and a good way to make sure nobody throws anyone in the brig without leaving the timer on, and coordinates to get rampagey antagonists before they murder the entire crew.

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc):
The portable flashers are kinda dumb. They're either absolutely unused, or when used properly are only used in a few specific spots and a non-portable built in version makes more sense. They're also ripe for abuse, so this lends them to only three modes of use: Ignored, flashing the detective every time he walks in, and a greyshirt putting them in the hallway.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will):
I'm sure I have a record a mile long, and I know I have at least one ban on record from about two years ago, but I'm unsure of the specifics. There was also one rather short ban when I detonated a fuel-tank in chapel and went offline afterwards- having used it as a suicide in a case of mildly poor judgment.

(Note: The op somehow got fucked up, it looks like I pasted it onto itself somehow? I recreated it below.)

BYOND Username: SRQ
Times Available: Pretty random, honestly. Mostly in the early afternoon and AM mountain time.

The ultimate reason I want to apply for this role is so that I can slot myself in a position to constrain the worst impulses of everyone involved. Security often, out of frustration or POWER THIRST feels compelled to treat antagonists as if they are literally antagonists and that murdering them and then spacing the body parts is how they win the game. Antagonists sometimes feel like all they want to do is rampage with a shotgun. A good security staff can constrain both of these, and in addition to balancing this as head of security I can help my department manage the crew being jerks to eachother.

Following on from that, security itself often needs security and keeping a watchful eye for both silly supercop shenanigans and being able to prevent that from ruining somebodies round, while also being able to watch for literally bad security officers harmbatoning themselves and then kicking the clown to death, is definitely something the playerbase can benefit from.

I'm sure I have a record a mile long, and I know I have at least one ban on record from about two years ago, but I'm unsure of the specifics. There was also one rather short ban when I detonated a fuel-tank in chapel and went offline afterwards- having used it as a suicide in a case of mildly poor judgment.
I approve. Angela is a straight shooter and will not mess up.
I've only been back for 2 weeks and SRQ has stood out in my brain as both a memorable player and good security, and that's everything I feel you need to be HoS
What's your IC name SRQ (Angela...)? Your Byond username rings a bell, I most definitely recognize it but I need an IC name to base my opinion of you, more so that I would someone applying for a mentor, know I'm sayin?

+0.5, application is very well written and of good intent
+2 because +1 isn't enough here
Yes, Angela Ziegler. I didn't see IC name listed on the prompt so I figured it was improper (Some people change them I guess?)
Surprised they weren't made HoS ages ago. Angela knows how to play sec well, has always been level-headed and fun to be around, and I've never had a bad encounter with them.
Haven't had a bad run in with them yet. They always seem to know whats going on and seem robust enough. So yeah might as well give them a beret.
(05-14-2019, 11:19 AM)SRQ Wrote: Yes, Angela Ziegler. I didn't see IC name listed on the prompt so I figured it was improper (Some people change them I guess?)

It is on the template, my dude - "Usual character name"

But yeah can definitely add the other 0.5 there, I've oft seen you play and you're fairly cool headed, prime material for HoS!
definite yes from me, also should apply for mentor but thats cool
[Image: CbuiEJm.png]
Howdy. I've played a few rounds with you as sec and don't recall anything particularly memorable, but I have this right here you see.
No. I say no. Hell no. This mean-spirited mentality should never be anywhere near HoS, and unless you can convince me that you've done a 180 on this sorta thinking no wall of text could ever convince me to say "yes".
I think you misunderstand what being HoS is about. People don't get HoS because they're super "good at the game" and are robust enough to deal with antags because no one else can, the HoS is usually there because they know how the game works enough to balance catching antags (sometimes even non-lethally) with letting em go in order to make the round interesting for both sides of the playerbase.

Your application reads as though you see HoS and the Sec position in general as PvP where your job is to eliminate the bad dudes, with HoS being the chief bad dude buster who calls the shots. This, coupled with what DyssalC posted makes it a pretty steadfast no from me.
(05-15-2019, 07:41 PM)DyssalC Wrote: [Image: CbuiEJm.png]
Howdy. I've played a few rounds with you as sec and don't recall anything particularly memorable, but I have this right here you see.
No. I say no. Hell no. This mean-spirited mentality should never be anywhere near HoS, and unless you can convince me that you've done a 180 on this sorta thinking no wall of text could ever convince me to say "yes".

I was messaged by an admin afterwards, they found it as humorous as I did, I never found anything too mean-spirited about I'm pretty sure every person involved had a lot of fun.

(05-15-2019, 07:45 PM)FishDance Wrote: I think you misunderstand what being HoS is about. People don't get HoS because they're super "good at the game" and are robust enough to deal with antags because no one else can, the HoS is usually there because they know how the game works enough to balance catching antags (sometimes even non-lethally) with letting em go in order to make the round interesting for both sides of the playerbase.

Your application reads as though you see HoS and the Sec position in general as PvP where your job is to eliminate the bad dudes, with HoS being the chief bad dude buster who calls the shots. This, coupled with what DyssalC posted makes it a pretty steadfast no from me.

I covered that in my post though, I specifically mentioned balancing eliminating antagonists with the experience those antagonists experience playing the game. "I also have experience playing every antagonist and know how little fun it is to deal with supercops that robust your ass the moment they have an excuse to."
(05-15-2019, 07:41 PM)DyssalC Wrote: [Image: CbuiEJm.png]

this isn’t behavior befitting a mentor, sure, but they aren’t applying for that. We also shouldn’t police people on what they want to do as a traitor; it is free reign to be a dick. Your actions as anything but an officer shouldn’t matter in this capacity.

I’ve never seen Angele be anything less than a very good cop and I think they’d make a great HoS.
while i havent seen angela ziegler as sec, per say, i've seen them being an alright and robust crew, so i think they'd be a good hos