Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
To the GoonHub.com administrator: Your server is hacked
dear goonstation community: please do not shit on people for reporting a potential issue, if our stuff's broke we want to know about it, thank you for loving pupkin
Making an ass of myself is pretty much my job here. Kinda like the forum clown. Except not the good clown, but the bad one... and not the good bad one but the one you just kinda clap for so they go away.

Anyways, apologies are in order: Sorry for being an asshat. I'll keep trying to be funny as I'm a low-key attention whore but I'm passed the age where I'll try to talk my way out of a fire I set myself.
I cant imagine how much of a rabbit hole it must seem to stumble onto an SS13 fourm like this.
Yeah sorry. I legit thought this was bot spam based on the title, user's name, and the original post which showed the ip and posted a seemingly sketchy link.
(01-22-2019, 01:05 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: Yeah sorry. I legit thought this was bot spam based on the title, user's name, and the original post which showed the ip and posted a seemingly sketchy link.

yeah same. i kept going with my bullshit until dude actually provided evidence for the claim that didn't involve clicking his link
(01-22-2019, 10:03 AM)New525 Wrote: I cant imagine how much of a rabbit hole it must seem to stumble onto an SS13 fourm like this.

Hopefully the assortment of bees on display helps ease the confusion and disgust.
Okay cool and all, but who are you, Mysterious Stranger, you kind of just appeared out of nowhere.
Yup, I appeared out of nowhere just like that spammer account that was dropped on my forum. I thought I'd help out a fellow server administrator by pointing them at a potential security vulnerability but apparently I first had to fight through a level 99 community to actually reach them. I'll also disappear into nowhere again after this issue has been fixed.

Serious hint for the future to every non-admin in this thread: When someone comes to your community to report a security vulnerability, you don't question and insult them, in particular if you are not even the person who is in charge of the server (because then it's none of your business). Only someone with half a brain cell would ignore such a report. Everyone with at least two and a half brain cells will take it seriously, and I'm glad that it is being taken care of now.
this dude is right and you guys are bad
Thank you for reporting this, I'm sorry about the reception. To explain the toxicity a little, a quick glance at the original post could make it seem like it was spam itself, or worse, a threat to the community. Goonstation (our branch of a somewhat obscure 2d multiplayer spaceman game) has had a case or two of impactful security breaches over the years it's been active, which may have provoked unnecessary and somewhat aggressive reactions from some of our veteran players.

Thank you again for bringing this to the attention of our administration, I hope this is resolved soon!
Quote:To explain the toxicity a little, a quick glance at the original post could make it seem like it was spam itself
It's an explanation but not an excuse. Situations like this one are the reason why I always recommend my community members to not engage with and reply to (what they believe to be) spammers - report posts to the administration but do not directly answer them. If it's a real spammer, you are just making it worse by drawing attention to their posts (and you can be sure the spammer won't be impressed by any insults), and if it's a legit post, welp, you just end up looking stupid.

I do agree that the initial post and in particular the thread title might seem a bit "harsh" but it was really urgent (so no time to add an explanation in layman's terms, I was sure the server administrator would understand instantly what I'm talking about) and English is not my first language - I'm pretty sure a native speaker could have worded it more carefully.

Anyway, In the meantime I was notified the security breach was resolved and the server can no longer be abused by spammers, so all is good.
Good luck to your community and let's hope this won't happen again. smile
I would still like to know what forum you're from, I might wanna join if it's my thing big grin

An apology for our assholery, I shoulda been more serious or not have taken part at all since it has nothing to do with me.
(01-23-2019, 12:11 PM)unnamed Wrote: I'll also disappear into nowhere again after this issue has been fixed.

Ooooor you could try our obscure space station game. No but seriously, it’s a lot of fun and we can teach you

(01-23-2019, 12:11 PM)unnamed Wrote: Serious hint for the future to every non-admin in this thread

Oof...I hope I’m not being lumped into this, I took you entirely seriously and brought up  the post in discord  everyman smith
(01-22-2019, 04:22 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: Itis me. Iam the hackers. I didnot expect catching me!! No!

I hacked the IPs for provide food itis family. Donot report please!! Iam good persons and Iam arenot HIGHLY FUCKING ILLEGAL!!

It’s been days and I’m still laughing at this
yeah, serious thread and hacking threats aside this was a good funny