Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trivial Glass recyclers can make but not recycle vials
See title; vials can be made using the glass recycler but not recycled.
I was always under the impression that the glass recycler only worked when shards were put in so you had to smash everything then feed the shards in.
(10-01-2018, 05:27 AM)Recusor Wrote: I was always under the impression that the glass recycler only worked when shards were put in so you had to smash everything then feed the shards in.

how in the hell did you think the glass recycler in chemistry was being used
if you needed a larger beaker, smash the smaller ones and put multiple shards in. Inefficient to be sure, but made sense in a weird way.
while we're talking about weird recycler behaviour, the recycler can eat mugs (it also might not produce glass when doing this?) but it can't make them.
(10-01-2018, 05:50 AM)Recusor Wrote: if you needed a larger beaker, smash the smaller ones and put multiple shards in. Inefficient to be sure, but made sense in a weird way.

okay im gonna go out on a limb at personal risk here but - 
how do you smash a beaker, exactly?
does... does throwing a beaker at the ground not break it? I mean I admitted in my mentorapp that chem was a very real weak point, but id rather not give up my purple lmao
(10-01-2018, 09:59 AM)Recusor Wrote: does... does throwing a beaker at the ground not break it? I mean I admitted in my mentorapp that chem was a very real weak point, but id rather not give up my purple lmao

afaik shattering when thrown is unique to drinkable glass containers, which is why the barman is the most robust chemist on the station
Doesn't most glass objects shatter when you chuck them at walls though?
(10-01-2018, 08:36 PM)Technature Wrote: Doesn't most glass objects shatter when you chuck them at walls though?

Only drinking glasses, shot glasses, champagne flutes, wine glasses, cocktail glasses, and pitchers will shatter. Nothing else does.
Huh.

Now that I think about it I guess I never threw beakers around.

Guess I never had a need to.

They definitely should though. They're made of fucking glass.
(10-01-2018, 09:39 PM)Technature Wrote: Huh.

Now that I think about it I guess I never threw beakers around.

Guess I never had a need to.

They definitely should though.  They're made of fucking glass.

it would make standing near a chem dispenser "robust" (cheap and garbage) for combat. 
1. make a deadly group 
2. stand near dispo with beaker 
3. fill beaker & throw. 

at least now it requires juggling containers
I mean, it's not like you wouldn't know you were fighting someone near a chem dispenser. TBH I don't see any reason why beakers and cups and such shouldn't be functionally the same
(10-04-2018, 06:51 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I mean, it's not like you wouldn't know you were fighting someone near a chem dispenser. TBH I don't see any reason why beakers and cups and such shouldn't be functionally the same

They're extra sturdy glass, clearly. How do you think they contain all those acids and pyrotechnic chemicals?
(10-05-2018, 03:28 AM)MrMagolor Wrote:
(10-04-2018, 06:51 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I mean, it's not like you wouldn't know you were fighting someone near a chem dispenser. TBH I don't see any reason why beakers and cups and such shouldn't be functionally the same

They're extra sturdy glass, clearly. How do you think they contain all those acids and pyrotechnic chemicals?

yeah if you're going by actual function, glassware is soda glass, beakers are borosilicate and are actually really hard to shatter and for good reason. they can actually be cut fairly easilly with abrasive wheels without exploding.