Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Antag Tokens for playing Sec
Idea.

Sec gets a second, fully automated cloning pod.
Sec starts permanently scanned into that pod's DB.
So long as Sec is doing their job correctly, they are cloned on death by an automated monitoring system. It takes longer than usual but works unattended.
If a particular secoff is being a shit / getting in the way, the AI can disable the cloner ( with appropriate authorisation from the current commanding officer, of course )
Also if they die off-station they gib and become irretrievable, so No Sol Nerds Allowed.
(01-22-2018, 05:35 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: Idea.

Sec gets a second, fully automated cloning pod.
Sec starts permanently scanned into that pod's DB.
So long as Sec is doing their job correctly, they are cloned on death by an automated monitoring system. It takes longer than usual but works unattended.
If a particular secoff is being a shit / getting in the way, the AI can disable the cloner ( with appropriate authorisation from the current commanding officer, of course )
Also if they die off-station they gib and become irretrievable, so No Sol Nerds Allowed.

This is honestly not a bad idea
Should split this into 2 threads, one for better Sec (id say make them start with a loaded tool belt so late spawns aren't stuck with 2 flashes and a t shirt) and the other for more Antag Tokens (Space Bucks?)
No incentive should be based on survival for sec officers I think. Otherwise you would get people more easily ending your antagonist life "just in case" instead of risking to have a chase start again ten minutes later.
(01-22-2018, 08:20 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Should split this into 2 threads, one for better Sec (id say make them start with a loaded tool belt so late spawns aren't stuck with 2 flashes and a t shirt) and the other for more Antag Tokens (Space Bucks?)

There's quite a few 'make securitah great again' threads that devolve into the same thing. It's good as a stress reliever, but it's mostly like a pack of dogs chasing their tails. It doesn't help that every sec-related thread gets turned into sec-general.

Hell, I tried real hard not to veer into general-sec, but I kinda went there anyways. It's irresistible.
(01-22-2018, 08:19 PM)Vitatroll Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 08:20 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Should split this into 2 threads, one for better Sec (id say make them start with a loaded tool belt so late spawns aren't stuck with 2 flashes and a t shirt) and the other for more Antag Tokens (Space Bucks?)

There's quite a few 'make securitah great again' threads that devolve into the same thing. It's good as a stress reliever, but it's mostly like a pack of dogs chasing their tails. It doesn't help that every sec-related thread gets turned into sec-general.

Hell, I tried real hard not to veer into general-sec, but I kinda went there anyways. It's irresistible.
Why not make a separate "Ideas of questionable quality" thread for sec ideas then, let everyone throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks? Ill put in my first idea of boosting the survival rate by making sec floors blast resistant
I'd say part of the problem with sec is that there's not many options for them. They have a ton of tools, but all those tools are specialized for beating up other players. This means that they don't have all that much gimmick potential outside of oppressing people by being jerks, and they get a ton of scrutiny from literally everyone. Sec are a popular target for antags for a variety of reasons, the crew will murder them without a second thought if they're even slightly obnoxious or suspicious, and the only gimmick they have that can't be done better by some other job is "write unfunny tickets and throw them at people". They also require a relatively high degree of mechanical skill for what they bring to the table, with many of their tools having some built-in way to backfire on a careless player.

I'd definitely agree that the proper solution to security is to make them more fun to play rather than handing out rewards, though.
yeah i'm not feeling antag tokens for sec officers, i play the position without problem and i feel like you need to have thick skin in order to make just decisions. not everything i have done as a sec officer was the right thing per se, but i feel i do the job fairly well. i think the largest misconception is that sec's primary target is antags. i heavily disagree with this notion, a security officer's job is to punish CRIMINALS. i feel like if there was a way to punish others for doing crime besides brigging or ticketing, we could have a lot more gimmicks and potential with officer creativity
Does make me wonder why we can't buy antag tokens with space bucks.
(01-23-2018, 01:09 PM)TheOnlyRyan Wrote: Does make me wonder why we can't buy antag tokens with space bucks.

Soon to be my 5th or 6th idea thread since new years, im on fire!  A Pope culture icon.
(01-23-2018, 01:49 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 01:09 PM)TheOnlyRyan Wrote: Does make me wonder why we can't buy antag tokens with space bucks.

Soon to be my 5th or 6th idea thread since new years, im on fire!  A Pope culture icon.

I've asked if it was possible to a few admins, and they all kinda said it's not going to happen and that spacebux are not transferable to antag tokens, and I agree that antag tokens should be reserved for an admin doing SOMETHING pretty major like ruining your antag round or hosting a pretty big event
(01-23-2018, 02:17 PM)Drago156 Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 01:49 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote:

I've asked if it was possible to a few admins, and they all kinda said it's not going to happen and that spacebux are not transferable to antag tokens, and I agree that antag tokens should be reserved for an admin doing SOMETHING pretty major like ruining your antag round or hosting a pretty big event

Welp better tear down the thread, maybe you could earn them through playing Antag well enough?
(01-23-2018, 01:04 PM)brojob Wrote: yeah i'm not feeling antag tokens for sec officers, i play the position without problem and i feel like you need to have thick skin in order to make just decisions. not everything i have done as a sec officer was the right thing per se, but i feel i do the job fairly well. i think the largest misconception is that sec's primary target is antags. i heavily disagree with this notion, a security officer's job is to punish CRIMINALS. i feel like if there was a way to punish others for doing crime besides brigging or ticketing, we could have a lot more gimmicks and potential with officer creativity

I've always felt like your number 1 priority as Sec should be protecting the crew and providing semblance of order. Part of that is taking care of crimers and antags, bit I've always seen that as only something to do once their activity is disruptive to other people.

A lot of the time I just respond to a variety of crisises like fires or exposure, or try intervene and desculate conflicts between other players as an unbiased third party.

Which is why I'm generally against anything they rewards being Sec with anything that encourages antagonistic behavior
(01-23-2018, 01:04 PM)brojob Wrote: yeah i'm not feeling antag tokens for sec officers, i play the position without problem and i feel like you need to have thick skin in order to make just decisions. not everything i have done as a sec officer was the right thing per se, but i feel i do the job fairly well. i think the largest misconception is that sec's primary target is antags.

That does seem to be the general consensus for some reason?  People seem to get annoyed when you tell them to stop doing the obviously illegal thing.  People like to suicide after I tell someone "Breaking into places is illegal", warn them I'm going to arrest them if they don't stop, arrest them, and put them in the brig for a minute and it's kind of frustrating.

On the other side of the situation, I've told security that the two scientists under me were breaking into my personal room because I wanted to wait to get a potential team together for telescience and they were too impatient to wait 10 seconds, and I was told in response "well don't piss off your workers".

I think this is one of those annoying "be the change you want to see" things that never really do anything sadly.
I like the sec cloning pod idea, it adds another element to traitoring that can be eliminated if they plan/try hard enough.