Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Antag Tokens for playing Sec
Every [10] rounds you play as HoS/Sec and survive = 1 token
What could possibly go wrong?
I don't think antag tokens would be the proper incentive. What about improved sec gear or clothing when you play sec again?
Is there any need for the survival clause?
I foresee issues with populating sec exclusively with the people most motivated by the prospect of beating people up.
(01-21-2018, 09:03 PM)Roomba Wrote: I foresee issues with populating sec exclusively with the people most motivated by the prospect of beating people up
Then I think it's figuring out what type of people make good secoffs and then figuring out a good incentive that they enjoy
Honestly, security has no real lethal means of dispatching highly dangerous criminals and aliens such as nuke ops, changelings, and blobs other than the anti bio weapons crate and tranq rifles in the armory and the .38 rounds in the armory dispenser that only works with the detective's pistol and zip guns...

Maybe adding some kind of lethal weaponry that isn't fists or toolboxes that has maybe a small amount of charge/ammo that can't be used all the time but instead is supposed to be used for extremely dangerous criminals and that isn't HoS required.
(01-21-2018, 09:57 PM)Drago156 Wrote: Honestly, security has no real lethal means of dispatching highly dangerous criminals and aliens such as nuke ops, changelings, and blobs other than the anti bio weapons crate and tranq rifles in the armory and the .38 rounds in the armory dispenser that only works with the detective's pistol and zip guns...

Maybe adding some kind of lethal weaponry that isn't fists or toolboxes that has maybe a small amount of charge/ammo that can't be used all the time but instead is supposed to be used for extremely dangerous criminals and that isn't HoS required.

I somewhat agree this is an issue but it not the fundamental problem. Giving sec more fire power != more fun/memorable shifts. It might temporarily increase the number of sec but I do not think this is a long-term solution. The sec rounds I can recall off the top of my head weren't even about stopping an antag; one was about a clown and lawyer who kept breaking into and heckling the security so we put the clown on trial (at which I was the judge) and ended up sentencing the clown to death.
Thinking more on it I feel the real problem is folk's attitude to security. Sure security is meant is hinder antags but why not play around with it a little? Instead of
1) find Urist McCriminal
2) arrest and strip them
3) brig them
You could try some negotiation for example. Tell them if they help you catch another criminal then they can get off the hook. How about inflitration? Pretend to be a a high value target and catch the criminal in the act of assaulting you.
In the end SS13 doesn't just hand you a fun shift, you need to put effort in and with a bit of luck you have a good time.
Things I personally have found myself wanting when I am sec-

AI core access and EVA access.

More insulated gloves.

Cryo grenades (more reliable IMO than crowd control grenades).

A upgraded health scanner in my starting backpack.

Security Spacesuits (part of why I want sec access, but also I'd love to be able to wear a space suit and still obviously be sec).

Pod disruptors.
----

I'm not a super robust sec player, I'm not likely to pull off insane criminal takedowns, but I am pretty good at helping a LOT of different problems in a pinch.

EDIT: Or, oh god in heaven, a borg-style omnitool cuz how am I supposed to carry screw/crow/multi along with all the OTHER crap I try to fit as a sec officer. Not saying it's impossible, but boy would that be an incentive to play more sec.

EDIT2: Oh, yeah, and personally I try to keep the mindset that if ANYONE dies I have done a poor job so lethal ammo, while it has it's place, is not the biggest attraction for me personally.
Secdoesn't really have easy lethal ammo because Lethality should generally be a last resort. I know things like Lings, Nukies, and wizards make this all but impossible but it's still generally preferable otherwise.

People tend to forget that Security's job is to punish Antags for playing poorly by making it harder for them to do things, rather than to pull the plug on their fun all together.
id go along with this string and carrot scheme, it adds some actual incentive
I would like to second the concerns about incentivizing people who are itching to be an antagonist to instead play security. That will only lead to harm batoning and tears.
tears from the braindead idiot playing sec officer who stunned himself maybe
Incentives? I like incentives. Antag tokens are a bit strong though.

Sec are underpaid, outgunned, and expected to be space-jesus jedi by half the station (and admins, it feels). It's like they were RL cops and not some corrupt organization's shitty security force (in a vg). No real fix there. We had a strong sec before due to a combination of high pop, laxer rules and lower expectations. Without killing some coder with the massive balance issues, I'm down to depending on that dude and antags not using their full cheese library.
Antag tokens for playing Sec seems like the wrong sort of incentive.
Like-wise, giving powerful weapons to "veteran" Security players is just going to cause lazy rookies to 'wait for their unlocks', without learning how to not be a Shitler.

One thing that is definitely keeping me away from playing Sec is the high casualty rate, and the loss of 'bought personalized item' that comes with that.
Allowing Sec player immunity from having their 'bought personalized item' taken away and/or some sort of 'fallen in the line of duty'-compensation would help, and might even cause the odd player to sign up for Sec-duty when they expect round shenanigans to kill them; A sort off high-demand/high-reward scheme.

I agree Cyfarfod that Sec would be more robust with some gear. But I am also worried that stuff like that just ends up in the wrong hands (traitors but also irresponsible shitcurity).
(01-22-2018, 01:01 AM)Cyfarfod Wrote: Things I personally have found myself wanting when I am sec-
AI core access and EVA access.
More insulated gloves.
Cryo grenades (more reliable IMO than crowd control grenades).
A upgraded health scanner in my starting backpack.
Security Spacesuits (part of why I want sec access, but also I'd love to be able to wear a space suit and still obviously be sec).
Pod disruptors.
Or, oh god in heaven, a borg-style omnitool cuz how am I supposed to carry screw/crow/multi along with all the OTHER crap I try to fit as a sec officer.  Not saying it's impossible, but boy would that be an incentive to play more sec.
Although I like the idea of having more or less all-access via hacks, there is some unclear-to-me reason they do not have all-access by default. And a tool like this for non-borgs would cause more problems then it solves.
Give Sec their own line of achievements and wearable merit badges and medals

"I got this one for giving CPR to the clown, and here are my 17 purple hearts"