Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Over the head emoticons on certain emotes
Something I'm sure everyone does while playing is try to communicate nonverbally with emote hotkeys.

Waves are quick greetings, or if used repeatedly a way to get someone to slow down.

Nods are a way to agree or indicate you understand something. Salutes and farts are how to say goodbye

But one of the more effective tools is pointing, because it also comes with an on screen indicator of where to look.

My thought was, what if we applied that to some of the other emotes or created new ones for quicker communication?

So you do an emote, and have a little icon appear briefly over your head for other people to see.

Icons would be kept to a small amount to communicate the widest ideas.

So an 
  • affirmative (Happy face, thumbs up) 
  • negative (frown face, thumbs down) 
  • ambivalent (confused face, question mark) 
  • a few extras for emphasis (Excited face, exclamation mark, mad face, middle finger)
So, basically, implement the effect of the archaic smug emote, but with actual utility?

I'm not sure how I feel about this.
Pro: Make it easier to pay attention to you.

Con: Make it easier to pay attention to you.

Good players won't be annoying about it, but it's pretty abusable when people decide they want to be shitlers.
So long as they're kept at a mangeable size, I don't see how it'd be any more "abusable" than pointing is. Who's actually seen someone abuse pointing? Who would care if somebody abused pointing to its greatest extent? I think the idea's kinda cute.
(10-01-2017, 03:05 PM)Mageziya Wrote: So, basically, implement the effect of the archaic smug emote, but with actual utility?

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Much smaller than the smug face, but generally that's the idea
Here's some quick examples

[Image: MrfH7N1.png]
[Image: K1RilHk.png]
[Image: lDqP7dr.png]
[Image: RROJ8D4.png]
[Image: sWmE3TX.png]
[Image: OFpE4UR.png]
[Image: t3jXvW2.png]

and a sample of what it might look like in game

[Image: DT7WMo5.png]
This is an amazing idea, we have the sprites, so I'd say why not. It can't be more abusive than Pointing, anyway. It also makes life easier.
yes please
(10-01-2017, 03:21 PM)Bologna Prime Wrote: So long as they're kept at a mangeable size, I don't see how it'd be any more "abusable" than pointing is. Who's actually seen someone abuse pointing? Who would care if somebody abused pointing to its greatest extent? I think the idea's kinda cute.

(10-01-2017, 05:39 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Here's some quick examples

[Image: MrfH7N1.png]
[Image: K1RilHk.png]
[Image: lDqP7dr.png]
[Image: RROJ8D4.png]
[Image: sWmE3TX.png]
[Image: OFpE4UR.png]
[Image: t3jXvW2.png]

and a sample of what it might look like in game

[Image: DT7WMo5.png]

I thought it was gonna be smug face size, no this is just fine and would only benefit the game.

I say we do it.
What that's actually a great idea!! Yes please
The guy who likes to play without his glasses gives this a [Image: MrfH7N1.png]
Very good idea, very good examples.
I'm not a fan of this idea. Over the head emoticons tend to look silly and they'd make me feel like I was playing some other game.
(10-02-2017, 07:56 AM)Flourish Wrote: I'm not a fan of this idea. Over the head emoticons tend to look silly and they'd make me feel like I was playing some other game.
(10-02-2017, 08:48 AM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 07:56 AM)Flourish Wrote: I'm not a fan of this idea. Over the head emoticons tend to look silly and they'd make me feel like I was playing some other game.

just takes away from the "space station full of barely qualified psychopaths" feel y'know?