Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEW JOB: ZOOKEEPER
another low quality OMJ suggestion, to build off the slimes idea
I think it'd be really cool to add a new scientist type job that works in conjunction with hydro/genetics to raise up new animals, with potential for mutations and really rare animals (think getting a living Gnome Chompski randomly when you try to raise a bird).
At the very least this could be the spiritual successor to loaf making and we could figure out how to grow more birds (and maybe even let deadchat come back to life as a bird!)
Things that could be raised-
Birds, bats, bees, MPorts, Jones the Cattes, dogs, rats, etc etc.
Once again, a shitpost, but the purpose of this shitty thread is to get more creative minds thinking on genetically engineering animals in space as a simulation (perhaps with both genetics mutations and the volatility of stats/mutations in hydro- and maybe even a whole new facet and option in our dear Old Goonstation Jenkins.
I like the idea of taming any critter through some overly complicated space science method of machines and putting them in an astroturf enclosure for crew members to view. With the critter egg system we could make anything lay an egg and put it in an incubator. Watch out for space PETA though.
i swear ive seen this thread a million times before

anyway a job like this could fit well into research 

i think itd be fun if you could splice creatures together to create ungodly abominations. just imagine making a chimera out of jones, george, and a walrus
I still think if we want to have our own version of xenobio it should either be breeding bees or making plasma spores something more than glorified space mines.
(05-25-2017, 04:29 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: I still think if we want to have our own version of xenobio it should either be breeding bees or making plasma spores something more than glorified space mines.

This could be interesting. Bee research, like slimes on other servers. Different tiers of bees which hork up different honeys with varying special properties. Could be done in botany. Gives botanists something to play with while waiting on plants to grow.
(05-26-2017, 12:28 PM)Salami Sam Wrote:
(05-25-2017, 04:29 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: I still think if we want to have our own version of xenobio it should either be breeding bees or making plasma spores something more than glorified space mines.
[...]Bee research[...]

Beesearch, if you will.

I'm all in favor of Bee Xenobiology, especially if you can abduct the Solarium puzzle bees and use them as special breeding stock
(05-25-2017, 04:29 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: I still think if we want to have our own version of xenobio it should either be breeding bees or making plasma spores something more than glorified space mines.

Yeah, either bees or something alien in the first place at least.
Bees because they're bees. Or something alien (like plasmaspore) because yeah, you could make abominations out of animals by splicing their genes or something, but they still come from normal animals at first. There's no "xeno" involved, even if said normal animals have "space" in their name, as in space birds, space bears or space something.
And we want xeno.

Either ways, it has to be cute.
I would love to capture a bear with my pocket balls and tame it.

I want to be, the very best,
that no one ever waaaas,
to catch them, is my real test,
to train them is my caaaause.

Jesus I can remember that theme. Catchy as fuck.

Anyway, I'd see this as the livestock version of botsci. That's how it'd turn out. Provided somebody actually coded the mess, where would it go? Science is already pretty stacked with fun stuff for one job. I mean I guess the slots could be expanded more if that's a problem.
This kind of thing with reality-inspired animals seems like it would work well together with Botany. It could depend on botany products, and could (among other things) produce special meats/other things for catering.
But it's not what I would call "xenobiology".

Edit : Forgot it wasn't a xenobiology suggestion thread. But yeah it did start from this topic.
Taming and raising critters seems like something that could be pretty easily put together with Botany, raising them as livestock, to make a Farmer job or something.
Plus it could be a way to get milk and eggs without mutations, using soy, or badgering QM.
Maybe even exotic items from livestock- space yeti milk, rock worm eggs, et cetera.

Edit: beaten by four minutes
I think beesearch should get folded into Botany, and plasma spore research folded into Mining, as something for the miners to do while other people are mining. The preexisting Apiarist job could be made full-time and focus on doing things with bees.
(05-27-2017, 04:19 PM)awfulworldkid Wrote: I think beesearch should get folded into Botany, and plasma spore research folded into Mining, as something for the miners to do while other people are mining. The preexisting Apiarist job could be made full-time and focus on doing things with bees.

Ah, the "Why don't we have both?" solution. I was going to suggest plasma bees but this is probably better.