Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Security - The Thread
can't ruin inherent trust if there's no inherent trust to begin with
(05-24-2017, 09:50 PM)CaptainBravo Wrote: can't ruin inherent trust if there's no inherent trust to begin with

Then what's the difference between sec and an assistant vigilante who looted sec?
(05-24-2017, 10:00 PM)Superlagg Wrote:
(05-24-2017, 09:50 PM)CaptainBravo Wrote: can't ruin inherent trust if there's no inherent trust to begin with

Then what's the difference between sec and an assistant vigilante who looted sec?

people would probably step in and assist the assistant vigilante if he was dying
There's been a bit of talk lately about bringing loyalty implants back, so why not combine the two ideas? Loyalty implants could, on top of whatever other powers you want to grant them, give sec officers bonuses against being mindslaved - maybe permanently, or maybe the two cancel each other and burn out.

Mind you, I'm not entirely certain mindslave resistance would actually be considered a benefit - there's certainly a fair number of sec officers and HOSes who I've seen mindslaved more often than not, and if we're all being honest not too many of us would struggle too hard against being mindslaved if we knew the mindslaver was a cool guy with orders more fun than 'kill urself lol'.
(05-24-2017, 10:35 PM)Roomba Wrote: There's been a bit of talk lately about bringing loyalty implants back, so why not combine the two ideas? Loyalty implants could, on top of whatever other powers you want to grant them, give sec officers bonuses against being mindslaved - maybe permanently, or maybe the two cancel each other and burn out.

I'm for it. Have them block mind-slaving, and maybe grant some special privileges equipment or access-wise. Like being able to go into the armory. Officers should still start without them, and leave it to the HoS to pass em out
(05-24-2017, 09:43 PM)Superlagg Wrote: I wonder, is there any merit to the idea of making Sec immune to mindslaving? We're supposed to trust these guys, give them the benefit of the doubt when they say the guy they're pummeling is a traitor. It's part of why they can't be antagonists.

Mindslaves throw a wrench into this mix. It makes it possible for sec to be antagonists, and in a way gives the possibly for /all/ of sec to be antagonists with how many implants a traitor can buy.

I mean, there is something to be said about using the crew's inherent trust of the HoS to get better initiative on murder, but that'll only go so far until the meta shifts to include sec as being just as likely as anyone else to be antagonists.

And yes this is a kneejerk reaction to being absolutely demolished by Wrestleman Walter and his pet HoS. He woulda clotheslined me into oblivion without his help, but someone in deadchat brought up how unfair mindslaved sec can be.

Hi, that "pet HoS" was me. Let me just say, real quick, that that round was far more indicative of an incredibly lax crew than mindslaved sec being bullshit. I was incredibly, stupidly blatant with my rampaging that round - which, by the way, was high pop - and the crew response was fucking laughable. There was no organized resistance, no staff assistant brigade to stop me and Walter, nothing. While I'm willing to admit that, yes, there's a degree of inherent trust and leeway given to the Beret when they're beating the absolute piss out of someone in the hallway, people are usually smart enough to question me, or any other HoS, when they're running around lasering people like an absolute madman. Not that round, though!

So while your idea may have merit, this is a niche enough of a problem that I don't think it warrants such a response.

(05-24-2017, 10:35 PM)Roomba Wrote: There's been a bit of talk lately about bringing loyalty implants back, so why not combine the two ideas? Loyalty implants could, on top of whatever other powers you want to grant them, give sec officers bonuses against being mindslaved - maybe permanently, or maybe the two cancel each other and burn out.

Mind you, I'm not entirely certain mindslave resistance would actually be considered a benefit - there's certainly a fair number of sec officers and HOSes who I've seen mindslaved more often than not, and if we're all being honest not too many of us would struggle too hard against being mindslaved if we knew the mindslaver was a cool guy with orders more fun than 'kill urself lol'.

Loyalty Implants are already back; they're next to the spare cuffs in Security.
(05-25-2017, 01:50 AM)SgtBriar Wrote: Hi, that "pet HoS" was me. Let me just say, real quick, that that round was far more indicative of an incredibly lax crew than mindslaved sec being bullshit. I was incredibly, stupidly blatant with my rampaging that round - which, by the way, was high pop - and the crew response was fucking laughable. There was no organized resistance, no staff assistant brigade to stop me and Walter, nothing. While I'm willing to admit that, yes, there's a degree of inherent trust and leeway given to the Beret when they're beating the absolute piss out of someone in the hallway, people are usually smart enough to question me, or any other HoS, when they're running around lasering people like an absolute madman. Not that round, though!

So while your idea may have merit, this is a niche enough of a problem that I don't think it warrants such a response.

Oh god, that round was horrible.

I was a traitor chef that round, and a security officer went AFK near the kitchen, so I stole his outfit and ID and gibbed him.  My plan was to blend into security with a voice changer and mustache (I even ate mutadone to get rid of the accent, bork bork bork), get into the bridge to destroy the bonsai plant, and just go about my day til the shuttle arrived, "accidentally" using police brutality on anyone who pissed me off.

If even a single person said security was going batshit insane, I would have abandoned it and gotten armor piercing bullets instead.  But the closest I got was someone was wrestling people to death, which wasn't any real information to work with.

The round made me particularly salty, since I was worried for a bit security saw me change via a camera or something, but nope.  Forced murderboner.
(05-25-2017, 08:08 PM)Technature Wrote:
(05-25-2017, 01:50 AM)SgtBriar Wrote: Hi, that "pet HoS" was me. Let me just say, real quick, that that round was far more indicative of an incredibly lax crew than mindslaved sec being bullshit. I was incredibly, stupidly blatant with my rampaging that round - which, by the way, was high pop - and the crew response was fucking laughable. There was no organized resistance, no staff assistant brigade to stop me and Walter, nothing. While I'm willing to admit that, yes, there's a degree of inherent trust and leeway given to the Beret when they're beating the absolute piss out of someone in the hallway, people are usually smart enough to question me, or any other HoS, when they're running around lasering people like an absolute madman. Not that round, though!

Oh god, that round was horrible.

I was a traitor chef that round, and a security officer went AFK near the kitchen, so I stole his outfit and ID and gibbed him.  My plan was to blend into security with a voice changer and mustache (I even ate mutadone to get rid of the accent, bork bork bork), get into the bridge to destroy the bonsai plant, and just go about my day til the shuttle arrived, "accidentally" using police brutality on anyone who pissed me off.

If even a single person said security was going batshit insane, I would have abandoned it and gotten armor piercing bullets instead.  But the closest I got was someone was wrestling people to death, which wasn't any real information to work with.

The round made me particularly salty, since I was worried for a bit security saw me change via a camera or something, but nope.  Forced murderboner.

Hmm.

Y'all raise a good point, the crew tends to be criminally unrobust. Not (just) in fighting, but in what to do when an unstoppable killer is on the hunt. Time after time, I see dopes wander up to a rampager in the middle of murdering someone, *stand there*, and then wonder why they get killed next. Or worse, say they're rude and proceed to ignore the whole ordeal.

The crew's stool-pidgeoneering is vital to sec, this communication; after all, you can't outrun a radio. Thus, as part of buffing sec, some sort of robustness training for the crew might be in order. Something accessible to the newer players​ to teach them that the best way they can fight crime is to run away and spam the radio until justice is served.
My advice to people that want to help out Sec while not getting involved, send us a PDA message. Radio chatter gets cluttered, but I never ignore the beep of a new message on my PDA.
Stop derailing the thread. Please and thank you.
i like what they have on tg where sec officers spawn in with color coded armbands and are meant to guard that specific area (ie purple armband is for research, orange for engineering, etc) 

i think something like that would give a sec officer a little more purpose than to just run laps around the station/waiting in the brig while waiting for something to happen
(05-27-2017, 02:58 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: i like what they have on tg where sec officers spawn in with color coded armbands and are meant to guard that specific area (ie purple armband is for research, orange for engineering, etc) 

i think something like that would give a sec officer a little more purpose than to just run laps around the station/waiting in the brig while waiting for something to happen

I agree, I always thought that was a neat mechanic. Sec also tends to have little offices/checkpoints around those areas too, a bit more applicable than Cog2's nebulous holes to pop out of near relatively un-trafficked areas (I have absolutely no clue how this works on Cog1 though)
I have the reason nobody plays Sec: Their uniforms are ugly.

We need something that does not look like red pajamas.

(05-27-2017, 02:58 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: i like what they have on tg where sec officers spawn in with color coded armbands and are meant to guard that specific area (ie purple armband is for research, orange for engineering, etc) 

That is neat

its much the same problem as mindslaved/changelinged/traitorwithvoicemask'd captain/hop/whoever. you know the bastard's acting sketchy and walking too close to you, but hes in a position of authority, so if you try to take steps to protect yourself by stunning or beating him you may face the brig, execution, or ban if your paranoia instincts pegged the wrong guy.

its easy to say "why didnt they just team up and kill us?" when youre the one running around with honorary antag status thanks to being mindslaved while they have to worry about the possibility they may be facing a ban or other ooc disciplinary action for slaughtering a computer spaceman mistakenly. the station crew is cowed and passive because of fear of admin reprisal more than laziness.

imagine if someone said "shitcurity's rogue" and joe assistant proceeded to cave a non-mindslaved officer's skull in with a fire extinguisher, and said officer proceeded to adminhelp him? joe assistant is shit out of luck and is sitting out with a temp ban for a few days at best, during which he'll either give up on the game or go find a server he likes better.
Change the color of sec or syndies. Both are red. How are you supposed to trust the people dressed in the same color as the bad guys?