Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GENETICS
oh wow, triple post, sorry. I was getting SQL errors.
TheOnlyRyan Wrote:Would anyone consider an entire rewrite for Genetics?
It just got one a few months ago, along with a massive buffing...followed shortly afterward by the addition of stability, the removal of some of the new toys, and some rebalancing of new powers to deal with the fact that new genetics was destroying the station practically every round in a reign of terror that lasted weeks before the much-needed nerf-hammer came down on them.
The thread that lead to stability being added was already set in stone after 1 page of people saying yes yes fuck geneticists yes yes fuck those guys.

It took 1 page of text for staff to make it a thing, heck staff have hate for Geneticists engraved into their head even if they won't admit it.
Genetics, in the month or so preceding the addition of stability, was really just that bad.
TheOnlyRyan Wrote:The thread that lead to stability being added was already set in stone after 1 page of people saying yes yes fuck geneticists yes yes fuck those guys.

It took 1 page of text for staff to make it a thing, heck staff have hate for Geneticists engraved into their head even if they won't admit it.

Get over your persecution complex already. Those were necessary changes. I'd love to see more geneticists try and sell powers, or communicate with with the crew often at all. How often does that happen in your experience?
Personally, I think genetics is fine. Though I never experienced the old system, stability serves a clear purpose and gives geneticists a reason to do things other than load themselves up with powers that they'll never wind up using. Ideally I would like to see genetics helping people more, particularly giving out resistance powers/selling them. As for buffing it in any way, though, that's a hard no in my opinion.
I think the real reason people hate geneticists is because they are assholes and genetics doesn't want to give them powers
Pigbear1 Wrote:I think the real reason people hate geneticists is because they are assholes and genetics doesn't want to give them powers

There was a time where geneticists would beat people to death for walking in to genetics.
Ed Venture Wrote:
Pigbear1 Wrote:I think the real reason people hate geneticists is because they are assholes and genetics doesn't want to give them powers

There was a time where geneticists would beat people to death for walking in to genetics.

They don't do that anymore now do they
Pigbear1 Wrote:
Ed Venture Wrote:

They don't do that anymore now do they

I can confirm that yes, yes they do. Recently someone blew up all of genetics because the DNA consoles were already in use, and they didn't feel like sharing.
Pigbear1 Wrote:They don't do that anymore now do they?

That's why I put "There was a time".

Heiraphont Wrote:I can confirm that yes, yes they do. Recently someone blew up all of genetics because the DNA consoles were already in use, and they didn't feel like sharing.

Oh I guess some still do.

I only have a outside opinion since I don't play that job so take what I say with a grain of salt. First off I'm neutral in all of this and think that if enough people say something should be changed then maybe it should be changed. Most of these changes to med sci (from my viewpoint) were not made cause geneticists are assholes, sure that was a factor in it but for a time alot of it was due to things being OP or just dumb decisions (Portable GeneTek scanner or whatever it was called) Like I said from my viewpoint not all the changes to med sci were to fuck over geneticists just because "fuck those guys"

shrug
I played geneticist today, not by choice, I wanted to be the HoP. I decided to set an example and be a good helpful geneticist so I walked around scanning practically the entire crew with my PDA, letting the other geneticist know I was doing that over the medical channel. When I got back he'd fucked off and I found out that the scans were bugged and unusable. So I started trying to work on monkeys but as soon as I grabbed one they all filled me with staples and beat me into crit. Once I'd got healed up and stuck one in each scanner at last, everything went smoothly until I realised I'd seen a gene in both monkeys and decided to print out both incomplete genes so I could complete it. At that point, the computers became so laggy that they were basically impossible to work with. Over the course of the round I mentioned several times that I was scanning people, and that I was happy to check the genes of anyone who volunteered, but nobody listened to any of it.

So I don't think genetics is in an OK state at all.
I played a round some time ago with genetics passing around fire resist for the security team dealing with the wizard.

Everything worked really well, but I feel like it was more of a fluke of timing, luck, and communication.
Dabir Wrote:I played geneticist today, not by choice, I wanted to be the HoP. I decided to set an example and be a good helpful geneticist so I walked around scanning practically the entire crew with my PDA, letting the other geneticist know I was doing that over the medical channel. When I got back he'd fucked off and I found out that the scans were bugged and unusable. So I started trying to work on monkeys but as soon as I grabbed one they all filled me with staples and beat me into crit. Once I'd got healed up and stuck one in each scanner at last, everything went smoothly until I realised I'd seen a gene in both monkeys and decided to print out both incomplete genes so I could complete it. At that point, the computers became so laggy that they were basically impossible to work with. Over the course of the round I mentioned several times that I was scanning people, and that I was happy to check the genes of anyone who volunteered, but nobody listened to any of it.

yea, welcome to new genetics. you get no respect and the social half of the job is bugged. just giving genetics a pair of cuffs would make it a little more bearable.
Dr_Bee Wrote:
Dabir Wrote:I played geneticist today, not by choice, I wanted to be the HoP. I decided to set an example and be a good helpful geneticist so I walked around scanning practically the entire crew with my PDA, letting the other geneticist know I was doing that over the medical channel. When I got back he'd fucked off and I found out that the scans were bugged and unusable. So I started trying to work on monkeys but as soon as I grabbed one they all filled me with staples and beat me into crit. Once I'd got healed up and stuck one in each scanner at last, everything went smoothly until I realised I'd seen a gene in both monkeys and decided to print out both incomplete genes so I could complete it. At that point, the computers became so laggy that they were basically impossible to work with. Over the course of the round I mentioned several times that I was scanning people, and that I was happy to check the genes of anyone who volunteered, but nobody listened to any of it.

yea, welcome to new genetics. you get no respect and the social half of the job is bugged. just giving genetics a pair of cuffs would make it a little more bearable.

You know, there /is/ a straightjacket in the surgery room. I use that whenever I play Genetics.