Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GENETICS
I was going to post this in the cloning paywall thread but figured that it might be best as it's own thread.

I would like to propose that we institute a Paranoia-style system for cloning. What this means for those that haven't experienced the glory of Friend Computer is that when you get cloned you pick up a genetic error - essentially a bad mutation - and they are distinct in the fact that you can't just pop a mutadone to fix them. As you get cloned more and more, the errors start to pile up. Cloned once, you'd have one error. Cloned twice, you've have that original error plus another one... and so on and so forth.

There are two methods for fixing these genetics errors - either a new genetics mini-game (which could make things worse and the pricing is left in the hands of the geneticist) or through purchasing a copy of your original NT records for a rather high price (say perhaps $5000-$10000) which you could then use to get fully fixed up with just a click of a button. Obviously both of these options would need to be performed in the gene-tek or some other genetics-restructuring device.
Reduce stability problems to start happening at 60 as I've been suffering from brain damage starting at 70 (although this may be a factor of the Genetic Stability trait not working and I'm actually at 50) and/or increase default stability.

Make boosters operate on multipliers (e.g. they use some fraction of traits the affect *# of traits affecting) and have them multiply off each other (so booster A + booster B + a trait would be more then it would currently be, unless you were affecting only one mild ability).

Reduce stability by the number of traits you have - 1 * # of traits to change up min-maxing a little (1T = 0, 2T = 2, 3T = 6, 4T = 12.. etc.) or something along those lines

Add chemicals that can temporarily raise or lower stability.

Change stability to impact the likelihood of accepting an injector - someone with a low stability would be able to accept a gene, but someone with a very high stability might get the message 'your body rejects it!' Obviously, either change should result in appropriate damage. This wouldn't affect the scanner.
Good luck getting anything in Genetics changed, ever. Unless of course you're proposing Cloning be paid for or removed entirely, that will likely be looked fondly on.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4744

Anything that would let a Genetics have decent powers / boosters and combinations will instantly be shit on.
I actually like this. I say the cloner should have Gene-Bank that starts with one perfect record of each crewman who starts on station. (Sorry Late Joiners) Those who are scanned gets the genetic errors. But you can buy new prefect record copies at the gene-bank (Which get used up when you clone someone once using the template)
TheOnlyRyan Wrote:Anything that would let a Genetics have decent powers / boosters and combinations will instantly be shit on.

I blame this on geneticists abusing their powers and not doing their jobs, but you know... That's just me.

Nothing like being the HoP/Captain/Sec officer/Department head sitting around cloning people because you couldn't pry the geneticist away from their stupid little terminals to actually do the thing they are meant to do.
I swear, we've gone from groaning about genetics being terrible and needing to be changed to groaning about how everyone always hates genetics and wanting it to die in a fire. It's like some Ouroboros of groaning about genetics, feeding into itself into infinity forever. Honestly, it's getting a bit tiresome.
Can we just stop hating geneticists for not cloning people?

I mean for god's sake, we don't get mad at robotics for not borging people.
Noah Buttes Wrote:Can we just stop hating geneticists for not cloning people?

Not many people actually want to be a cyborg on a regular basis, too limiting.
The cloner is public access now so it's not even really the geneticist's job anymore.
I like the idea of robbing the HoP to buy my way out of permanent honking (not to be confused with the clown). This would add fun, and a punishment for throwing your life away.
You rarely get cloned more than once a round as it is - I don't see a point in imposing this on those lucky enough to be brought back twice or more.
Getting back on topic, mostly I made these suggestions so people could get One Big Thing without suffering from drawbacks, or some neat utility ability that was enhanced. And keep people from min-maxing with a bunch of useful but not expensive stuff.

Generally I suspect adrenal could do with an increased stability cost and lasers lowered, neither here nor there.

Looks like the complaints are along the lines of "Genetics don't do cloning at all because there's no reason to and superpowers are fun." So how would you fix that? The cloning pod moving has also made it a mite bit more protected from syndicate assaults since they seem to always smash up genetics first.

As for drawbacks nobody is going to take any that instantly fuck them up or continually do poison to them because it's a hassle to deal with and annoying as fuck. Even coughing (not mentioning the other stuff that puts you down and stuns you, immediately putting you at the mercy of anything nearby...) is dangerous because it can make you accidentally drop your gun, oxygen, or the stranglegrab you managed to put on someone. Death Wish trait moved into genetics as a +40 trait (maybe as 'glass body?'-combinations available there), mutation that decreases stamina, mutation that causes stamina to regenerate slower, mutations that limit or restrict options for wearing or holding equipment.

And so on.

This. It's not the really the geneticists job to clone people anymore since the cloner was open to all of med bay's doctors. Complaining about that old issue is null and void since it has been fixed.
Geneticists get 5-10k credits for research for every person they clone. Boom Geneticists start cloning.
TheOnlyRyan Wrote:Geneticists get 5-10k credits for research for every person they clone. Boom Geneticists start cloning.

You'd probably see geneticists killing someone and cloning them back to life over and over again.
robertmanbob Wrote:

Not many people actually want to be a cyborg on a regular basis, too limiting.
The cloner is public access now so it's not even really the geneticist's job anymore.

I'd rather be a cyborg than dead any day.