Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Money/Economy/QM Thread
A quick fix for PINs (they're currently not needed for the cardswipes but still called for on ATMs & vending machines)--

Add a 'PIN' verb. It can be in the command tab or just typing 'PIN' in the text parser will call it. Doing so makes your PIN appear in the chat window.

Just a minor convenience compared to having to deal with a window for notes.

e: if it also told you your current bank account balance that would also be nifty. even though it doesn't make too much sense since ATMs do that already.
So today me and the rest of security tried to extort money out of people by charging bail and arresting everyone for every little crime.

People aren't very willing to pay to get out of jail for some reason...Strange...

But I definitely like the higher placement of card swipers.
It would also cost a lot more money to fuel a staff assistant army in the rare chance admins feel like starting a rev round.
As someone who always plays detective, a cardswipe and table/sliding door setup would be great incentive to start my very own P.I business. It's usually forced on you to find the criminals, but this makes you have an illusion of choice! And after all, what more do you want as a hard boiled detective?
That sounds funny, I'll give the detective a table and cardswipe. MORE GRAFT
It's hard to take money seriously (except for RP purposes) when there isn't enough stupid shit to spend it on. I want station vending machines that sell overpriced horseshoes, spiderman masks, bike horns, galoshes, etc.
Whatever happened to the vending machine that sold knife wielding elmo dolls and boogiebots? We need a couple of those on the station.

There was also one round on shroom where a vender that sold audio files was spawned in the bar. Maybe put a couple of venders sprited like jukeboxes in the bar and jazz lounge so people can buy appropriate music?
A MIDI Jukebox would be great fun. Only audible if you're in the same room/certain amount of squares away, located in the bar and scannable for electricians.

I want it if only just so I can build one on the AI satelite and hack it's volume to make it play over station speakers
Sometimes when I'm Electrician or Engineer (which is most of time), people will waltz up to the front desks and ask for insulated gloves. I keep thinking I should charge for them, but it would feel even worse to put the funds into my personal account than to hand them out for free as I usually do.

What I'm saying is, we have this weird fusion of economic system where everyone gets (shit) wages from Centcom, is supposed to pay for equipment out of that if the pre-allocated stuff isn't enough and also allowed to sell/give away existing equipment as they see fit.

Could the departments maybe get their own budgets for people to put money into? You can already kind of do this for the Shipping budget (using the confusingly named "Purchase Supply Points" option on the Supply Request Console), but even there there's no proof of purchase. Science has a non-existent budget, no way for crewmembers to pay straight to it, and enormous potential to run a more or less illegal business selling the produce from Toxins/Chemistry/Telelab/Artlab. As I understand it, Medbay has card swipers for just this reason, but you're still paying directly to an individual whitesuit. Botany has the same issue.

Short version:
Implement budgets for Medical, Engineering, Security, Botany and The Restaurant (maybe mash Botany and Restaurant together into Superbotany, keeps things simple).

Give each department a local Banking computer, with access only to that department's budget and the ability to send money to other budgets and crewmebers' accounts. The relevant Head would have access. (Access levels on Mushroom station imply that the Barman rules Superbotany.)

Make it relatively easy to charge money to the department budget at the front desk, and to send money between budgets at the banking computers.
I think you're just not feeling graft-y enough. I started a business a few days ago, out of Electronics, selling people Insulated Gloves, Utility Belts, and Energy Guns. Made almost 2,000 credits, flew off on the shuttle as the richest crewman.

Incidentally, is there a way to code in Bling? Maybe some kind of super-expensive gold paint you can buy to use on your items?
Captain_Bravo Wrote:I think you're just not feeling graft-y enough. I started a business a few days ago, out of Electronics, selling people Insulated Gloves, Utility Belts, and Energy Guns. Made almost 2,000 credits, flew off on the shuttle as the richest crewman.

Incidentally, is there a way to code in Bling? Maybe some kind of super-expensive gold paint you can buy to use on your items?
We need necklaces with really easy to see sprites to go in our gasmask slot.

This way, we can chose between the ability to breathe and our bling while trying to hop across a hole to the emergency shuttle.

We would all chose our bling.
I would do so much graft to get sparkly gold paint and bling. Also fancy clothing.
Discount dan's MYSTERY board game.

Basically a knockoff version of clue with spaceman themed pieces.

A fake clue game seems oddly fitting for a 2d spaceman game where someone is liable to murder you at any moment.

It was the clown with a spoon in the hangar
I forgot to mention this should be purchasable somehow.
Some updates:

No more selling metal/glass/wire for more than you paid for them, unless a trader really really wants that stuff. Sheet and basic ore sell-values have been slashed. You can still make some money manufacturing ore into sheets and selling them, but you can't scam the system by shoving crates from the buy to sell lanes immediately anymore. Fuck all y'all.

Everyone gets paid way more now.

Vending machines now transfer a profit percentage to the shipping budget.