Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's that time of they year when we rant about security.
This is how security is meant to be. Not the big-brother always watching and ready to kill you murderous swat team, but rather the semi serious set of people in red suits who are there to try and protect the rest of the crew, be that through, A, fighting antagonists in relaxed ways, or B, by making fun gimmicks by using the ticketmaster, or by doing random stuff like setting up space customs and requiring information for people to pass through. I feel sec is there to help the crew not only live, but have a good time.

Space Customs:
[Image: 1X8HGWw.png]

I feel like more people are gravitating away from the die-hard play2in kill the antags at record pace security playstyle, and are feeling more motivated to be more relaxed, touring the station to see what everyone is up to, and maybe ticketing people for stupid shit. I feel like the latter would benefit SS13 oh so much more if more than the usual one or two people got into security like this.
Sundance Wrote:
Amuys Wrote:There should also be a place for "benign"antag and a warning that sec probably shouldn't actively try to tangle with them else the antag or the antag's friends will swiftly robust you.
Explain?
Amuys Wrote:I'm just saying there's a difference between a traitor mechanic mass producing cyalume sabers than a traitor mechanic going around in a cloak shooting people with a revolver.

Toss in "friendly wizards" and maybe mindslaves.

FishDance2 Wrote:This is how security is meant to be. Not the big-brother always watching and ready to kill you murderous swat team, but rather the semi serious set of people in red suits who are there to try and protect the rest of the crew, be that through, A, fighting antagonists in relaxed ways, or B, by making fun gimmicks by using the ticketmaster, or by doing random stuff like setting up space customs and requiring information for people to pass through. I feel sec is there to help the crew not only live, but have a good time.

Space Customs
Papers, please.
please don't put in anything to encourage friendly wizards, or to tell sec there is anything stopping them from targeting them and the idiots who protect them
mozi Wrote:please don't put in anything to encourage friendly wizards, or to tell sec there is anything stopping them from targeting them and the idiots who protect them
I was thinking something along the lines of "it can and probably will kill you, but if it's smoking a blunt for 30 minutes maybe ignore it?"
Kovirii Wrote:
mozi Wrote:please don't put in anything to encourage friendly wizards, or to tell sec there is anything stopping them from targeting them and the idiots who protect them
I was thinking something along the lines of "it can and probably will kill you, but if it's smoking a blunt for 30 minutes maybe ignore it?"

if it's smoking a blunt for 30 minutes go beat its head in for wasting everyone's time.
CaptainBravo Wrote:
Kovirii Wrote:

if it's smoking a blunt for 30 minutes go beat its head in for wasting everyone's time.
Replace smoking a blunt with some fun, cool, mostly non-lethal gimmick then.
Kovirii Wrote:
CaptainBravo Wrote:
Kovirii Wrote:I was thinking something along the lines of "it can and probably will kill you, but if it's smoking a blunt for 30 minutes maybe ignore it?"

Replace smoking a blunt with some fun, cool, mostly non-lethal gimmick then.

No fun gimmick is non-lethal. No good wizard is non-lethal.

If your direct death will cause the end of the round, don't be a boring shit. Syndicates don't have an issue with this friendly crap but wizards do for some reason. Maybe it's the unifying goal of "get dat fukkin disk." Maybe wizards are just autistic.

If you're a friendly wizard, expect to be hunted down and exterminated with brutal efficiency like you waddled into a HoS meeting in the riot storage with a redsuit and empty rocket launcher. And any dumb grey shirt trying to protect you is going to get spaced without trial.
friendly wizards are dumb. it's understandable that sometimes people don't want to just buy fireball and then press the fireball button over and over again until everyone is dead but in wizard rounds killing the wizard is the crew's goal so acting like someone trying to kill you is doing something wrong is stupid.

If you don't want to rampage, just be a Huge Jerk Wizard and buy Clown's Revenge, Rathen's Secret, Blind, and Warp and teleport around cluwning people, blowing their asses off, and teleporting them into reinforced windows
Every time I do the "treat antagonists nicely until they give me a reason not to" thing, they just murder me immediately. I write them a funny ticket and they spit acid at me before I'm done. I try to stop and detain the vigilante who saw a wrestling belt and proceeded to try to murder them, and as soon as the vigilante is cuffed they immediately beat me into unconsciousness and chuck me into a telescience portal. Every time I try to be chill to someone who's probably an antagonist but isn't doing something overtly violent, they just maim or murder me the second I turn my back on them, so I'm not really too keen on the whole "friendly traitors" thing.

That said, what if you capture a wizard alive? Are you just going to execute them on the spot because "THAT'S THE GOAL OF THE GAME MODE", even though they're completely harmless if you space/crush their equipment?
For me, it's not so much a matter of "don't mess with the nice wizard" as maybe "let the people who are actually supposed to deal with this shit do so first".

I don't even get a chance to do much of ANYTHING as a wizard before I literally have the whole station armed to the teeth and jumping down my throat. One time I didn't even have to get on the station before they were all fucking lasered up. Wizard is not common enough to accommodate a learning curve like that.
Crumplehat Wrote:Wizard is not common enough to accommodate a learning curve like that.
This is probably the main reason we have friendly wizards in the first place. its so rare people don't want to lose their rounds by bullcrap.
Quote:Every time I do the "treat antagonists nicely until they give me a reason not to" thing, they just murder me immediately. I write them a funny ticket and they spit acid at me before I'm done. I try to stop and detain the vigilante who saw a wrestling belt and proceeded to try to murder them, and as soon as the vigilante is cuffed they immediately beat me into unconsciousness and chuck me into a telescience portal. Every time I try to be chill to someone who's probably an antagonist but isn't doing something overtly violent, they just maim or murder me the second I turn my back on them, so I'm not really too keen on the whole "friendly traitors" thing.

That said, what if you capture a wizard alive? Are you just going to execute them on the spot because "THAT'S THE GOAL OF THE GAME MODE", even though they're completely harmless if you space/crush their equipment?

I don't know, man. As a traitor, I tend to give people that treat me nicely leeway and not target them. Sometimes I've brought people I killed to cloning, or told Sec where to find the bodies. But I've also had sec catch me with a chef knife, stun and cuff me, then cut me to gibs in the hallway with my own knife. I wish people would get the mentality that it's a game and it's more fun when everyone is having fun and not go out of the way to permanently take people out of rounds. Part of encouraging that is teaching by example, and I think part of playing as Sec is acting as a role model for the other players and holding yourself to stricter standards of conduct.
Frank_Stein Wrote:
Quote:Every time I do the "treat antagonists nicely until they give me a reason not to" thing, they just murder me immediately. I write them a funny ticket and they spit acid at me before I'm done. I try to stop and detain the vigilante who saw a wrestling belt and proceeded to try to murder them, and as soon as the vigilante is cuffed they immediately beat me into unconsciousness and chuck me into a telescience portal. Every time I try to be chill to someone who's probably an antagonist but isn't doing something overtly violent, they just maim or murder me the second I turn my back on them, so I'm not really too keen on the whole "friendly traitors" thing.

I don't know, man. As a traitor, I tend to give people that treat me nicely leeway and not target them. Sometimes I've brought people I killed to cloning, or told Sec where to find the bodies. But I've also had sec catch me with a chef knife, stun and cuff me, then cut me to gibs in the hallway with my own knife. I wish people would get the mentality that it's a game and it's more fun when everyone is having fun and not go out of the way to permanently take people out of rounds. Part of encouraging that is teaching by example, and I think part of playing as Sec is acting as a role model for the other players and holding yourself to stricter standards of conduct.
Well honestly the chef knife is a tool exclusively for destroying a person's chances of coming back to life. No borg, no clone, Just meat. So I would do the same thing if I saw you with a chef knife.
Honestly the whole stigma with security being jerks for killing traitors has to go. I can understand if someone is being too strict by busting in and killing you 5 minutes in when they see you buying traitor items with thermals but after 15-20 minutes anyone caught with traitor items should be fair game.
Quote:Well honestly the chef knife is a tool exclusively for destroying a person's chances of coming back to life.

Sure, if you keep stabbing. I like leaving bleeding victims dragging themselves to medbay while I trail behind honking a clown horn.

Quote:Honestly the whole stigma with security being jerks for killing traitors has to go.

Killing if it's required is fine. Someone's got a laser blasting at you, you don't have many options. But a trip to the clone vats and then straight to the brig with em after, (unless they already blew up medbay, I guess.)