Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clown mask a Gas mask
APARTHEID Wrote:there's a strange twinging sensation in my forehead!!!

"do any of these people advocating for clown breathing play as the clown, and if they don't, is this the single thing keeping them from clowning around"
if it's stopping them then they shouldn't
Frank_Stein Wrote:I occasionally clown around, usually as Beelzebub, Lord of the Pies. The lack of being able to use the mask this way doesn't stop me, but I seriously don't get why there's so much push against it in any form.

Clown already starts with terrible shoes, and debilitating clumsiness. I've stabbed my own eyes out by fumbling a butcher knife. It was hilarious. It's not like being able to breathe in uniform is going to stop shenanigans.

Like, I get that you're supposed to be the comic relief. You're not there to save the day, to rampage and roar about. It's possible, but doing so is just an extension of your role of being funny since a successful clown flips expectations and that's what humor is all about.

I've offered up a compromise with balloons, someone else suggested making it a medal award to reskin gasmasks. I don't really care either way, it just feels like elitism to me. "I was clowning before it was cool"
For me at least for me it's not elitism. I've only recently started playing as the clown exclusively. I've never had that much trouble running out of a room with no O2. I'm somewhat in a grey area as I don't think it makes or breaks the job in all honestly. But to assume people like it the way it is makes them a elitist is quite a assumption and a dumb one at that.
I kinda feel like this is a don't fix what isn't broken kind of situation.
Ed Venture Wrote:
Frank_Stein Wrote:I occasionally clown around, usually as Beelzebub, Lord of the Pies. The lack of being able to use the mask this way doesn't stop me, but I seriously don't get why there's so much push against it in any form.

Clown already starts with terrible shoes, and debilitating clumsiness. I've stabbed my own eyes out by fumbling a butcher knife. It was hilarious. It's not like being able to breathe in uniform is going to stop shenanigans.

Like, I get that you're supposed to be the comic relief. You're not there to save the day, to rampage and roar about. It's possible, but doing so is just an extension of your role of being funny since a successful clown flips expectations and that's what humor is all about.

I've offered up a compromise with balloons, someone else suggested making it a medal award to reskin gasmasks. I don't really care either way, it just feels like elitism to me. "I was clowning before it was cool"
For me at least for me it's not elitism. I've only recently started playing as the clown exclusively. I've never had that much trouble running out of a room with no O2. I'm somewhat in a grey area as I don't think it makes or breaks the job in all honestly. But to assume people like it the way it is makes them a elitist is quite a assumption and a dumb one at that.
Not wanting it to change is one thing, and there's nothing wrong with that. But acting like someone that just wants to play the game without dying should be ashamed of themselves, like clown is some kind of do or die role strictly for the best players who are skilled enough to play without internals, is silly. That's the elitism I'm talking about.
Frank_Stein Wrote:
Ed Venture Wrote:

Not wanting it to change is one thing, and there's nothing wrong with that. But acting like someone that just wants to play the game without dying should be ashamed of themselves, like clown is some kind of do or die role strictly for the best players who are skilled enough to play without internals, is silly. That's the elitism I'm talking about.

I only see one post saying you need to be a apex player to play clown and that's wrong for one. Almost all the other post just say that clowns have to sacrifice things for the sake of comedy. Plus it does not really make any sense for a clown mask to act as a gas mask and if we use that logic then all the mask should act like internals because why not?
Grek Wrote:As a counterpoint: If you change things so that there is no reason to want to play as a clown... people will not want to play as clowns. I feel like this should be a really obvious conclusion, but somehow it isn't. Making a job unfun will not make the job more fun. It will do the opposite.
I don't want people to want to play as clown more. Being a clown is a joke. It's the oldest joke, it's the point of the clown is to be an awful spaceman who can't live past 20 minutes. If you can't handle being a clown you shouldn't want to play as clown.

And as to what Frank_Stein said; Yes it's elitism. If you can't handle the clown as it is you shouldn't play it. Or do play it and get better. Being good at being a clown is literally what the elitism is about. It's like being good at being a grey suit but times 10. Being a good clown who lives through the whole round is a status thing, and if you can't handle not being able to not have an airmask on all round maybe you shouldn't play as the clown.

Dudes it's not like it's some big deal or something. It's just one job on a station of many. If you want an airmask as clown just change the mask, just be known that you aren't a good clown if you switch clown gear.
[quote="Ed Venture"]I only see one post saying you need to be a apex player to play clown and that's wrong for one./quote]

Correction two post.
Don't need to be apex you just need to understand that you are the clown. You don't get special treatment. You are there to die or live with the items you are given.
KikiMofo Wrote:Don't need to be apex you just need to understand that you are the clown. You don't get special treatment. You are there to die or live with the items you are given.
Fair Enough.
KikiMofo Wrote:Dudes it's not like it's some big deal or something. It's just one job on a station of many.
Exactly. Which is why it's ridiculous to throw out statements like "apex" and "honor" and "Code of Clown."
Frank_Stein Wrote:
KikiMofo Wrote:Dudes it's not like it's some big deal or something. It's just one job on a station of many.
Exactly. Which is why it's ridiculous to throw out statements like "apex" and "honor" and "Code of Clown."

The clown is a JOKE JOB. I mean it USE to be a punishment job way back when (or so the wikipedia tells me)! I'm not saying make the clown harder (like some people might infer). I think the clown is fine the way it is.
I'm saying if there's something about the clown you don't like, I think it's YOU and not the clown. Any problem one may face with having the breath with a clown mask on can easily circumnavigate around this problem by simply NOT PLAYING AS THE CLOWN.

It's not like you can't "clown" around as any of the other jobs. But if you want to be THE CLOWN then you have to be it the way it is, warts and all.

That's just my opinion on the subject. PLEASE NOTE: I HAVE ONLY EVER PLAYED THE CLOWN A HANDFUL OF TIMES. I am certainly not a clown-regular.
make it more awful

1. Force it to use the old interface

2. No WASD mode
This suggestion would make the game more fun, not less. I dont see what the big deal is. The clown may have been a joke job but it isnt anymore, save the suffering for cluwnes, let clowns breath with their face on. Other servers let the clown mask act as internals and it is an IMPROVEMENT not a detriment to game-play.
I would've been on the side of the "code of the clown" and "your job is to be funny, not alive" camp, but since the atmos changes where vacuum exposure means airless and cold rooms more so than prior, then I'd recommend giving the clown some sort protection against this.

It's just that the clown mask acting as a gas mask seems so... unclowny to a very clown situation. Efficient and functional, that's not the clown at all.

Maybe when the clown blows up a balloon, it acts as a temporary oxytank so long as the clown is holding it (which with clown shoes, may not be for very long), and will deflate after a while. Nonsensical and funny.

Another idea is to spawn "happy pills" in the clown closet. These pills could contain 1 part Epinephrine to 1 part Yobihodazine. This whombo combo would enable the clown to fight through airless cold corridors and the clown could take it for suffocation damage if in crit. Of course Yobihodazine has a chance of giving brain damage, that's fairly clowny though. It's also another source of Yobihodazine on the station. Personally i'd like this the best, as it requires no coding and fairly hits the problem on the head.
Let my people honk?