Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give Porta-Gene another chance?
If there was a glass windows on the genetics computer's tile between computer and scanner, then the scannee couldn't get at the computer.
They would toolbox the window down.
The port-a-gene should just stay a distant memory much like the additive barrel, and reagent infusion itself. Both horrible ideas that should just stay locked in a warehouse.
Vunterslaush Wrote:The port-a-gene should just stay a distant memory much like the additive barrel, and reagent infusion itself. Both horrible ideas that should just stay locked in a warehouse.

Reagent infusion was a great concept, and I would love to see it revived in a more restricted form.
Noah Buttes Wrote:
Vunterslaush Wrote:The port-a-gene should just stay a distant memory much like the additive barrel, and reagent infusion itself. Both horrible ideas that should just stay locked in a warehouse.

Reagent infusion was a great concept, and I would love to see it revived in a more restricted form.
Perhaps with restrictions It may have been an ok feature. I do recall Marquesas stating that it would never return.
Vunterslaush Wrote:
Noah Buttes Wrote:

Perhaps with restrictions It may have been an ok feature. I do recall Marquesas stating that it would never return.
Wasn't keelin the one working on it, though?
Just telling you what I heard. Who can say for certain what will make a return or become lost to time.
Vunterslaush Wrote:Just telling you what I heard. Who can say for certain what will make a return or become lost to time.

Marquesas says alot of things
I'm making superfluous statements here I'm sure, but I've bee up about 36 now and am getting a tad loopy.

1) Any benefits that a geneticist gains from the PaG would have to force living pc interaction. No monkeys. No dead people. No NPCs.
2) Benefits to using the PaG over the standard equipment would be needed. Rewarding genetics for being proactive is good If it's properly safeguarded against abuse.
3) PaG can be cardlocked to the ground, preventing (most) griff.
4) One machine; no more. No cloning either.

Just my opinions. Or somebody elses. I can't really remember at this point.

An idea: Genomatic

Once cardlock to the ground players can hop in and activate any personal genes that genetics has researched for a fee. The fee would probably need to be preset and varied based on power of the mutation. If player control was desired then a simple 3-tier scalar could be applied uniformly to all prices, which would be set by genetics. Lo-Mid-Hi. The income would either go to the card that cardlocked or a split between geneticists. I realize this contradicts the notion of forcing people through genetics, but that's probably why I thought of it. Gotta contradict yourself sometimes. If you don't; you can wind up stale.

On the side note of reagent infusion: It's one of those things that can get boring really quick. Another suit that makes you a practically unstunnable, constantly regenerating tank. .22s with dragon's breath, prions, nanomachines, etc. I love the concept, but it would be really damned tedious for the coders to balance. That and, as said: once you've seen it you've seen it a dozen times more. People really like to beat things into the ground here. It's like a Universal hobby.
Vunterslaush Wrote:Just telling you what I heard. Who can say for certain what will make a return or become lost to time.

I can.

It will not.

It was never a good idea.
I just want a genetics machine the general public can walk into that's near the main medical area.
Marquesas Wrote:

I can.

It will not.

Was it a bad idea because of code reasons, abuse reasons, what was so terrible about it? I never really played with it or understood it, but I'd be interested to know why it got binned
Marquesas Wrote:

I can.

It will not.

RIP
BlackPhoenix Wrote:
Marquesas Wrote:

I can.

It will not.

Was it a bad idea because of code reasons, abuse reasons, what was so terrible about it? I never really played with it or understood it, but I'd be interested to know why it got binned

You'd have jerks infusing prions into shovels and then killing off the entire crew by hitting everyone with it.
Winklabom Wrote:You'd have jerks infusing prions into shovels and then killing off the entire crew by hitting everyone with it.
Oh. Fuck that.